Notices

Niacin and Bill W

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Niacin and Bill W

I was doing some vitamin research and came across some startling information. This is by no means any medical advice.. But I feel as if it's important to share.. And BTW, I will begin my niacin treatment today and see how it goes....

Abram Hoffer writes: "I met Bill in New York in 1960. Humphry Osmond and I introduced him to the concept of megavitamin therapy. Bill was very curious about it and began to take niacin, 3,000 mg daily. Within a few weeks fatigue and depression which had plagued him for years were gone. He gave it to 30 of his close friends in AA. Of the thirty, 10 were free of anxiety, tension and depression in one month. Another 10 were well in two months. Bill then wrote "The Vitamin B3 Therapy." and thousands of copies of this extraordinary pamphlet were distributed. Bill became unpopular with the members of the board of AA International. The medical members, who had been appointed by Bill, "knew" vitamin B3 could not be therapeutic as Bill had found it to be. I found it very useful in treating patients who were both alcoholic and schizophrenic. —From Vitamin B3: Niacin and Its Amide, by A. Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D.; Wilson B: The vitamin B3 therapy: The first communication to AA's physicians (1967); A second communication to AA's physicians (1968).

Last edited by greeteachday; 06-05-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: video provides medical advice
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Of the thirty, 10 were free of anxiety, tension and depression in one month. Another 10 were well in two months.
Sounds like worse %'s and more time than working the steps but maybe it'll be enough.

Best of luck to you. Let us know how it works.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally AA was nutrional as well as spiritual and the steps... it was part of the program...
Old 06-05-2010, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I disagree with almost all of the advice in this video.

Niacin in large doses can damage the liver.

Please, as always, consult your doctor - not youtube - before beginning any new treatment for anything - including depression or alcoholism.

D
Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Personally I disagree with almost all of the advice in this video.

Niacin in large doses can damage the liver. No where near as much as statins (I have high cholesterol so thats the MAIN reason I'm taking niacin).. Doctor approved.

Please, as always, consult your doctor - not youtube - before beginning any new treatment for anything - including depression or alcoholism.

D
You'd have to do more research. Niacin in large doses CAN damage the liver, in comparison to large doses of alcohol, its miniscule.

How many deaths from Niacin? ZERO.. Even up to 10000 MG a day..

Anyhow, to share my story from today, I took 500 mg... Within 30 mins, I felt the heat come on, the niacin flush.. I felt VERY hot, and turned bright red and a little itchy. (this is a natural response, do the research)... It went away after about 15 mins.. And I felt GREAT, mentally and physically.

I don't just use a youtube video to put anything in my body.

It's working great for me so far.

Here's Dr. Hoffer talking about AA, Bill W and Niacin

Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

More info..

In his second communication to AA physicians, Bill Wilson reported that about 70 percent of alcoholics who took niacin (vitamin B3) found that they felt much better: "Evidence has mounted that many of this group reporting recoveries from depression, anxiety, tension, etc., are actually hypoglycemics, people in whom B3 is, to a considerable degree, preventing the abnormal drop of blood sugar which is characteristic of that malady."

Wilson quotes several physicians who were treating alcoholics with niacin. One of these doctors, Jack Ward, M.D., a psychiatrist in Trenton, New Jersey, speculated that "the good response of the 'unhappy sobriety types' to niacin... is due at least in part to the effect of the B3 on the blood-sugar levels."

Wilson also reported on the work of Russell Smith, M.D., nephew of AA cofounder Dr. Bob Smith. Russell Smith treated 507 hard-core alcoholics with six grams of niacin a day for six months. He found that 340 did very well indeed. They remained sober and their memories improved, as did their learning abilities, problem-solving skills, coping abilities, sleep, appetites, interpersonal relationships, and job performance. Another 98 reported improvements in well-being and energy. Their moods were also more stable. Of the 507, only 66 did not respond positively to the niacin therapy.

Niacin is remarkably safe even when taken without medical supervision. There has never been a reported overdose death. However, bear in mind the following precautions:

Since high doses can affect the liver, do not take niacin if your lab tests reveal any abnormalities of liver function. You can begin after you correct your liver problems.
Niacin may cause flushing due to the sudden release of histamine it triggers. You don't have to give up taking niacin. The redness and itching is not harmful and will eventually disappear.
A dose that is too high for you can cause nausea and vomiting after a few days. This gastric distress disappears twenty-four to forty-eight hours after discontinuing niacin.
Niacin may elevate blood sugar in some diabetics. If so, substitute niacinamide, another form of Vitamin B3; it will have no effect on insulin requirements.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not going to argue with you IRTQ.

What you do is entirely up to you - my advice to others reading this is see your doctor first.

How many deaths from Niacin? ZERO.. Even up to 10000 MG a day..
You may need to watch again.

from the above video:

'there's not one death from niacin per year...on average. There's been one or two deaths attributed over the last 15 or 20 years...'

Even accepting those figures as true - if you like those odds? What you do is up to you.

I'll stick with my doctor
D
Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not arguing with you. I already said I had I do have my doctor's approval. What the point of this post was is this is a part of AA's past which a lot of people were, or aren't aware of.

I'll share my experiences, I was looking for a natural way to lower my cholesterol, and he said to try niacin 500 mg a day and 4 mg of Fish Oil. He suggested Lipitor first, I said I'd rather try it natural first... Get me? I only pointed out the AA/emotional factor researching it.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Originally AA was nutrional as well as spiritual and the steps... it was part of the program...
Where is that in the literature? If it's "part of the program" it should be simple to find.

or.....is it only in the archival material because Bill was primarily interested in selling the supplements to make money off of them, but the other members shot that idea down because it was NOT PART OF THE AA PROGRAM - which is:

1. Find a God of your understanding to relieve you from the compulsion to drink / do for you what you can't do for yourself
2. help another drunk do the same.

This is silly....really. The AA Big Book is crystal clear about what to do if you want to recover from alcoholism. You can do what they did or you can do something else. It makes no difference to me. If your Niacin regime works, great.....but don't claim "your program" is the "AA program."
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This thread is closed.

Regardless of disclaimers...it is medical advice
therefore not allowed on SR.

Let's all enjoy another sober day....