Notices

obsessive thoughts of beer

Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

obsessive thoughts of beer

I would like to say it is not happening but it unfortunately is. After four months of complete sobriety I have slipped.

The problem is I can't stop these awful cravings that keep going through my head. They just just pound me relentlessly, I thought I had the addiction totally beaten by the fourth month but it just has kept after me. I am weary.

I wake up and the first thought in my mind is how good a beer would be. This never happened to me before. When I leave work the first thing on my mind is where to get a beer. I don't try to have these thoughts, they just appear like planes on the radar.

I am way below anywhere near the level of addiction I was before but I am certain if I don't do something now I will be back to full blown alcoholic.

I just walked the dogs to try and divert my attention for an hour, when I returned I drank a beer.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I know where you're coming from. You might want to try AA - the spiritual experience was the ONLY thing that allowed me to stay stopped.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post

I am way below anywhere near the level of addiction I was before but I am certain if I don't do something now I will be back to full blown alcoholic.
I think you are probably right. If you continue down the same path you will end up in the same place. I always did, anyway. I also think that once we are addicts, we always have the same level of addiction. It doesn't go away. That is why the only way to combat our problem is to abstain.

Don't get stuck on this day. Start right from this moment and pour out the booze.

The obsessive thoughts do go away as time goes on. It takes awhile. You can do it. Best of luck.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Hey Sudz,

You could get out to meetings. It's only an hour. I was very reluctant to do AA. But it worked for me. People in AA are just as diverse as groups of people in anything else. It'll kill an hour anyway. There's a little addiction bug in your head and he wants his fix. He wants that beer and he'll torment you all day to get it. Grab all the pesticides you can! :-)
Old 06-04-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did You Actually Have a Drink

Because there are these things called flare ups in recovery where your cravings return periodically

Last edited by Dee74; 06-04-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum
Old 06-04-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Drk

Not to sound preachy, but it sounds like you may need to cut this out post haste.

You could be putting your life on the line to satisfy your tastebuds here.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, I am heading off to sleep. I feel at least proud of this much, I am controlling it to a degree. For how long is the problem, hence why I am off to bed lol.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One more time cravings are physical and unless you have been drinking recently it is medically impossible to get cravings....the obsessions about drinking are just that, how do you remove them...thats already been posted:-)
Old 06-04-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think your sceen name is clever and at the time says alot :-)
Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hang in there, Sudz! I was a "Hall of Fame" beer drinker for nearly 30 years. I gave it up almost one year ago. I found that those "cravings" were all mental. I had to not just stop drinking, but also getting to the root of WHY I drank in the first place. As the days, weeks, months have gone by it's gotten to the point where having a beer doesn't even cross my mind. I figure if I can beat this thing, anybody can!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't drink; go to meetings. That is what got me off the beer. Now I am working the steps, and I haven't had a craving since I started. I believe this is the experience of millions.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
I would like to say it is not happening but it unfortunately is. After four months of complete sobriety I have slipped.

The problem is I can't stop these awful cravings that keep going through my head. They just just pound me relentlessly, I thought I had the addiction totally beaten by the fourth month but it just has kept after me. I am weary.

I wake up and the first thought in my mind is how good a beer would be. This never happened to me before. When I leave work the first thing on my mind is where to get a beer. I don't try to have these thoughts, they just appear like planes on the radar.

I just walked the dogs to try and divert my attention for an hour, when I returned I drank a beer.
I like to laugh at myself-

how many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? -one,but the light bulb has to want to change 1st