Notices

Not sure what to think

Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what to think

So I went 19 days with no drinking, then I had a beer on memorial day. Let me clarify, a 40 oz of beer so I guess i had 3 and 1/3 beers. I must admit to being a bit confused. I am happy I only had a 40 oz, but also upset that I drank the beer. I just really wanted a beer. Truth be told I wanted to drink more but didnt go back to the liquor store and felt mentally tortured the rest of the afternoon. I am not sure how I should feel about this. On one hand I drank but didnt get drunk...on the other hand I drank...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, I guess it would depend on what it is you are hoping to accomplish. Do you want to stop drinking completely, or do you just want to drink less? Are you able to control your drinking? Honestly? Has alcohol caused you problems (job related, relationship, trouble with the law, etc.)?
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

need to stop. I have tried to drink less many times, always ending up back at square 1, drinking too much. so I guess I should be upset, and start again.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, there's no need to be upset now. What's done is done. Just start again. It's not at all uncommon for people to slip up a time or two before it takes. Just make it your mission not to drink today. Tomorrow, repeat. Are you working any program, like AA or seeing a counselor? I've found it much easier to have others who know what I am going through with me to help me be accountable. Hang in there! You can do this!!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needhelpbutstuk View Post
So I went 19 days with no drinking, then I had a beer on memorial day. Let me clarify, a 40 oz of beer so I guess i had 3 and 1/3 beers. I must admit to being a bit confused. I am happy I only had a 40 oz, but also upset that I drank the beer. I just really wanted a beer. Truth be told I wanted to drink more but didnt go back to the liquor store and felt mentally tortured the rest of the afternoon. I am not sure how I should feel about this. On one hand I drank but didnt get drunk...on the other hand I drank...
I might have two beers and go home and go to bed, or I might have two beers and end up naked in a motel in Mexico. See, I'm not sure what's gonna happen when I have a beer. To me that equals powerlessness, and to me that means I qualify for the first step in AA. Hence I don't have that first one and that particular problem is solved. If you find that it has become a problem for you, we have a solution. If it's not a problem, well then. God Bless
Old 06-02-2010, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am going to a counselor, today will be my 2nd visit. still a bit hesitant on AA. Baby steps right now I guess. thanks for your insight, I will make it a "new start".
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think many of us could sometimes have a couple beers and stop. The problem we run into is how unhappy it makes us when we do stop. If having one or two is just going to make us miserable and unhappy that we can't have more, then we just avoid putting ourselves in that situation. I am an alcoholic, but could I go out and have ONE beer? Probably. But would that one beer be enough? Would I just be opening a can of worms? Absolutely.

"Truth be told I wanted to drink more but didnt go back to the liquor store and felt mentally tortured the rest of the afternoon."

Why would anyone want to be "mentally tortured" the rest of the afternoon? That is no way to live.

Best of luck and congrats on your 19 days. Good start.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by needhelpbutstuk View Post
I am going to a counselor, today will be my 2nd visit. still a bit hesitant on AA. Baby steps right now I guess. thanks for your insight, I will make it a "new start".
Sounds familiar.... I really resisted AA as well. Given that I was pretty much out of options, borderline suicidal, and just knew I'd end up drinking again...... that kinda made AA an easier pill to swallow. Well, all that and the guys I hooked up with basically guaranteed "AA would work if I didn't try to half-ass my way thorough it." Needless to say, I've grown to love AA and it's still "working" 3+ years later. ....and I couldn't "not drink" for more than a couple days, TOPS!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

good to know daytrader. thanks for the insight...Im sure all I need to do is go to one and it wont be that bad, in fact it may be good. I am just leary of groups but I am trying to keep an open mind.

Good dow day today, +225(assuming you follow due to your "call sign")
Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

This is exactly something I’ve done; the attempts to control my drinking. Sometimes I was successful, but never, and I mean NEVER, did I feel satiated with only one – or even a few. I always wanted more. I’ve only got about 5 months continuous sobriety right now, and I’m pretty sure I could have (1) 40 oz. and leave it at that, but I wouldn’t be happy about it. There’s something wrong with my body that once alcohol enters it, an overwhelming craving begins.

Eventually I got desperate. I was willing to do anything to quit drinking. So I found my way to an AA meeting and the rest is history. There have been some bumps in the road, but let me say this, my life today looks nothing like it did a few years ago when I was drinking. I’m so grateful I don’t have to live like that anymore.