Notices

Hoarding Bottles

Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hoarding Bottles

Hey,

did anyone read Augusten Burroughs memoir Dry. Do you remember when he talks about moving several trashbags full of Dewars bottles from his apartment the first time he got sober.

I cleaned out 1 garbage bag full of bottles, liqour store paper bags and cans today that had been hidden in 2 dresser drawers. Those drawers were deep coz it didn't seem like I'd been drinking that much.

Speaking from Day 2 of sobriety.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ironically I just orderd this book off of amazon last week after a friend told me about it, should be here anyday now.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 days. If you stick with it they will grow into sober weeks, months and years.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Haven't read Augusten Burroughs memoir Dry...but oh boy do I know about bottles stashed in every conceivable space. Best part is one doesn't have to live that way anymore. Keep going forward with your recovery .
Old 06-01-2010, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can definatly relate.. I just cleaned up from a 4 day binge and amazed 4 liters of rum and 4 empty sprite zero bottles.. Day 1 again. But the FIRST time I got sobered up, I had probably 30-40 half gallon plastic bottles all over...
Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Over 2.5 years ago when I went into a detox facility it took my husband forever to find all my stashes of bottles.
This time I detoxed at home while he was at sea, and I'm still finding empties. Found an empty vodka bottle under my bed just a few days ago.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i still find stashes from my old life. i found a 1/2 bottle of VAT69 gold and a bottle of klonopin in my studio yesterday when i was making space to start working again.

i called in my wife and flushed the pills and poured out the booze. the smell was awful. i started to feel like i was gonna hurl.

geez, the way i used to live...thank God i don't have to do that anymore.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I read dry a few months ago. Good book! I didn't hoard, I was a closet drunk. I kept just enough for me to drink that night. Went to the store daily. It was routine. I had to count all my "empty's" to be sure I had them all lest I leave on on the counter somewhere and it would be seen. I was utterly paranoid when I couldn't get the empty's out. Hid them under the bed in the guestroom. Then worried, worried, worried, they'd be found. We had "trash day" so, every night I had to haul my empties across the street to the apartment complex dumpster.

It was exhausting be a drunk!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LifeBlows, your screen name says it all.

I hope you can continue with the sobriety. 2 days is a start.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dry was fabulous. Definitely one of my favorite reformed-drunkard books.

I just found a stashed airplane bottle the other day and promptly dumped it out. As I was doing so, I started thinking about how often I bought them at the liquor store. Does anyone besides alcoholics buy these? I'm sort of kidding, but really their only purpose is to be hidden, right?

Did anyone ever see that episode of Intervention with that woman who hid airplane bottles of vodka everywhere? "Where are my red tops?! My little red tops!" She actually gave me the idea to start buying the damn things! How twisted is that?

So glad that's behind me now. What a way to live.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

life Blows ,

Had a chance to get all the garbage cans of glass bottles to recycle, but I still kept at least a hundred brown bags from the liquor store all neatly folded and stuffed inside of 4 brown bags ! The bags for two handles. Anyway, I've found a great use for um' , Whenever I bring fresh produce to my family , or anyone , they work perfect !!

hang in there for day 3 !!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

l cleaned oy my shed a few weeks ago.
Found 3 empty bottles of wodka.
Used to go to the shed for a quick nip. Day and night.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I love Augusten Burroughs! Dry was great. His short stories and other books are also very good.

I would hoard one or two bottles, but just until I could safely get rid of them.

I visited a lot of gas stations.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by parasol View Post
Dry was fabulous. Definitely one of my favorite reformed-drunkard books.

I just found a stashed airplane bottle the other day and promptly dumped it out. As I was doing so, I started thinking about how often I bought them at the liquor store. Does anyone besides alcoholics buy these? I'm sort of kidding, but really their only purpose is to be hidden, right?

Did anyone ever see that episode of Intervention with that woman who hid airplane bottles of vodka everywhere? "Where are my red tops?! My little red tops!" She actually gave me the idea to start buying the damn things! How twisted is that?

So glad that's behind me now. What a way to live.
That episode was "Syliva", they keep that full episodes at A&E/intervention website.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I too have read Dry, probably 5 times at least! Great book. I didn't really identify with the hoarding bottles part, though I did stash one or two.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I loved the book "Dry"! My sponsor recomended it to me, and I couldn't put it down. I can't really relate to the hoarding of bottles...I would buy one jug of wine at a time, get another when the other one was getting low, and made sure I threw away the empty jug as soon as it was empty. I rationalized that I wasn't an alcoholic because I only had one "bottle" in the house. Mind you, the jugs I bought contained 4 liters of wine, which is probably meant to be shared, but I would never share my wine! Ah, the things we tell ourselves when we are active in this disease...it truly is insanity
My favorite part of the book is the fact that he relapses. He kept telling everyone that he was fine, that he would never drink again, and he believed that. And yet, he did drink. That scares me because I sometimes get in the mindset that I am over my desire to drink, and that I will never drink again. I need to remember to take it one day at a time, and remember that alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful. If I don't stay on top of my disease, it will get me.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I would go to the liquor store I would normally buy the two big bottles...drink them then hide them under my fouton in my office...and I would forget about them and then next thing I knew there was like 10!! I would sneak them out, put them in my car and get rid of them...I just found one empties stash the other the day, in the garage..didn't make it to my car....really made me feel sick.....thank god I am sober today!!!