Notices

Bad Shape

Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Shape

I've been drinking for the past few weeks, anywhere from 3 pints of vodka to about 20 beers a day. I can't afford to goto the doctor cuz I have no health insurance. I figured I would come on here to get some support. My tongue is white, I can't stop these thoughts in my head about going to the liquor store....my partner is being a trooper. Does anyone else get where their brain doesnt stop running? its almost like I have OCD with drinking. Every morning I just sit and stare until I get a drink in my system....and once I do, I can't stop sweating.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

If you go to the emergency room, they have to treat you regardless of your inability to pay. I have never experienced what you are, to answer the question. Are you wanting to stop drinking? If so, please see the ER or another indigent care provider that provides care to people that cannot pay.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i do wanna stop drinking. its hard though at age 25, where all your friends just goto the bar....the withdrawal is killer though.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CTwo View Post

its almost like I have OCD with drinking.
Not almost, it's also called alcoholism. Take this seriously, go to the ER if you get scared.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are playing with your life.
Do something about it.
Go to the ER when (not if) needed !
You will be glad you did in a few days,,,
Wish you the best of luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

Withdrawal (detox) can, and does kill. You're right.

The rest of your life is up to you, I hope you take this seriously.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FREEBIRD!

Originally Posted by CTwo View Post
i do wanna stop drinking. its hard though at age 25, where all your friends just goto the bar....the withdrawal is killer though.
All your friends probably won't be going to jail to visit you or your visitation.

Get to a hospital or a detox IF you really want to quit.

I had a sign in my shop that read, "After everything is said and done, more will be said, than done."

I hope you find what you are looking for my friend.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ctwo

Alcohol and some sedatives are the two depressants that you can suffer seizures and die from. Deal with the financial aspect later!! Hit the ER first and then if you want help and willing to ask, I'm sure there is an AA group in your area, look in the phone book under alcoholism. God Bless
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i think it would be better to get help and worry about paying later, as opposed to potentially never getting the opportunity to worry about paying for it.
I know it is hard when all your friends drink for socialization, we are in the same boat. At some point I am going to have to discuss this with them, sounds like you may need to as well. It is going to be hard, but I thnk I am starting to realize that if they arent supportive, then are they really my friend?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

look in the phone book for an immediate care center. then call and see if they treat alcohol withdrawal. most do, and don't take health insurance anyway. it'll be probably betwween $40-100 depending on the place. some free clinics even treat withdrawal.

most people can safely detox on an outpatient basis, but i agree with everyone here...it's not wise to do it cold turkey. it almost took my life. i had seizures and my blood pressure was at a stroke level for days.

good luck, and please keep us updated
Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

CTwo - do you have a friend or someone who can call the ER for you? It's hard to ask for help, I know, but if you've been drinking that amount daily for any period of time, you are in dire need of help in withdrawing and you can't do it on your own. People go to the ER with little or no money every day for things that alot less critical than this, and I'm willing to bet they've dealt with alot of this before.

Sending prayers.....:ghug3
Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

If you stop please don't stop cold turkey without medical care. Doing so is very dangerous; much more dangerous than a lot of people know. Have a friend take you to the ER. Tell them everything; quantities, symptoms, etc. You aren't the first drunk to get treated in an ER. God knows I've been there more than once...

good luck
Old 06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyPaperAnchor View Post
If you stop please don't stop cold turkey without medical care. Doing so is very dangerous; much more dangerous than a lot of people know. Have a friend take you to the ER. Tell them everything; quantities, symptoms, etc. You aren't the first drunk to get treated in an ER. God knows I've been there more than once...

good luck

I had a friend take me to the ER once. Although it was embarrassing and costly, it was a valuable lesson, and it put me that much closer to realizing I had to quit. Plus, the hospital informed me about community resources I could use to help me get sober.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ctwo,

It's very important to get medical attention when we drink at that level.
I didn't - and I'm still dealing with the physical legacies of that decision three years on.

Please either go to the ER or google 'free clinics' and your local area.
It's simply in your best interests.
D