Notices

Ted Koppel's son dead from drinking binge

Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ted Koppel's son dead from drinking binge

Another sad story. I'll try to post something positive tomorrow morning.

Breaking: Ted Koppel's Son Dies After Drinking Binge
Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Another sad story. I'll try to post something positive tomorrow morning.

Breaking: Ted Koppel's Son Dies After Drinking Binge

Hey, reminders are positive in a twisted way. I need the reminders now. I wish I had something positive to post.

Thanks, dg.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rest in peace.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Very sad and a good reminder that if we pick up another drink it could be our last. There are so many tragedies involving alcohol; I doubt anyone knows the extent of it, really.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

rest in peace. this is such a sad obsession
Old 06-01-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This was sad, but there was something even sadder about the way that garbage article was written. Someone seems to have failed Journalism 101.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ugh, how horrible.

Comedian Andy Dick has been to rehab 10 times, the last time in 2009.
He's been on a drinking & law breaking tear in 2010.

Andy Dick charged with felony, shows still on - The Herald Dispatch

koppel's son & andy dick are both about 45.
drinking gets worse as the years go on.
booze seriously messes up lives.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's funny you mentioned the incident with Andy Dick cause I live right here in Huntington where it happened. I think it is kind of a set up deal though; How can 2 young men in a bar accuse him of groping them and then report it to the police? I would have just kicked his butt and left it at that. All about money, which I doubt Andy has much of if he is uusing and drinking it all up/
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Such a shame...another life destroyed by alcohol.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

Sad and tragic. It can happen to anyone, to any of us if we pick up that bottle again.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

To read some of the comments on the forward link to New York Post- what animals these people. Let's see how they feel when one of their own loved ones passes from this horrible disease. Yes, that is exactly how that man wanted to die and be found- pee and poop all over- right! Why can't people see addiction as the disease it is instead of a choice- yes we all have a choice- but the question becomes what comes first.. . duh- if an addict in the midst of the addiction had the ability to just say no- we wouldn't have soberrecovery.com- everyone would be sober. ughhh. Then they jump negatively on that he is the son of a media guy or a leftist- really????? he's a son, a brother, a father- he is human!
Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's exactly why I do'nt drink anymore. I'm afraid it would be my last and don't want to find out.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

New York City is a drinkers' paradise. I think it would be very hard to get straight there. People do not go on benders, they go on "pub crawls" through the East Village. So civilized!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I confess that I often managed to disassociate myself from the many stories where people ended up dying due to drink. For example, it was just too easy for me to dismiss the Hollywood celebrities (especially if they indulged in other drugs - my only poison was alcohol) and certainly not the poor and destitute.

Andrew Koppel's story was different for me somehow. He was a lawyer, a professional. Close to my age - not some college kid. A New Yorker. Liked whiskey (Jameson's) and according to the NY Post story, would strike up friendly conversations with fellow heavy drinkers. The kind of guy I'd probably get along with if I ever met him while drinking at my favorite NY dive bar. Ending up dead from an alcohol overdose isn't pretty - certainly not the puking, shitting and whatever else must have happened.

I hope if there's anyone else who is still drinking and is thinking along the same kind of lines that I was - they might seriously consider that this ought to be the day, week or month that they seek help and/or quit the booze altogether. No one wants to end their life like this. And, it can happen to anyone with a drinking problem.

My condolences to the family. RIP.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In Britain the former PMs son was photographed wasted on alcohol hugging a pavement. Tony Blair laughed it off. getting wasted is too readily accepted as some rites of passage in the UK.
Im getting wasted this weekend is perfectly normal thing to say.
Yet if you was to say I'm going to get loaded on heroin and take as much as a I possibly can quite rightly it would be frowned upon.
Alcohol is a powerful drug that should be respected.
I used to drink whisky, thinking i was a man who could handle his booze. Now I am reduced a pathetic drunk who drinks cheap cider just so I can feel normal
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Another thing there is no history of alcoholism in my family. When I was younger I would sympathize with alcoholics, the ones that drank and drank until they died, I did think it was more than just a failing of willpower.
Yet deep down I never ever thought I could be alcoholic, I thought it was impossible. I had control initially.
I thought drinking alcohol was merely a choice, how wrong, I so underestimated the power of alcohol.