Notices

what now?

Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what now?

So now your sober and you have alot more time on your hands now that you're not slugging back a half gallon of your favorite swill every night...

what do you do for fun?

i think this would help alot of people try new stuff that they normally might never think of....and anything healthy you can do to avert the awful cravings is another notch in the belt of sobriety.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This isn't fun, per se, but I clean my house a lot more. Each week it gets easier, too, since I am doing it regularly now.

Fun things.... I get out and walk a lot more, and take a proverbial billion pictures along the way. I try to explore different areas of the city when I go for my walks. I'm lucky in that Toronto is overall very safe to wander in - there are only a small handful of areas I need to avoid. I purchase CDs now with the money I save by not drinking. I cook real meals - made my first lasagne from scratch, made my first goulash from scratch, made a few other things for the first time. I'm also mustering up the courage to pull out my roller blades for the first time in a couple of years, and will hopefully be going kayaking one morning a week very soon with a friend of mine.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
Fun things.... I get out and walk a lot more, and take a proverbial billion pictures along the way.
I can tell how bad my last year of drinking was by the lack of photos I had. Now I take plenty.

Yesterday I just enjoyed time in the park with the dogs and my son in the rain. Just looking at the beautiful colours around and thanking God that I am now able to see them.

I used to drink to pass the long days but now I am sober, I never seem to have enough hours in the day, despite being very productive. I have to make time to take time out and just enjoy living in the moment. That's the best fun of all.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i too am finding many new things to do..and beginning to enjoy things in a fulfilling way, that has been absent for all of my many drinking years..omega 10 i would love to go kayaking too..its somethin ive wanted to do for awhile..and hoping to get in with a local club,nearby, we live in a cool coastal region..with cliffs, sea caves,kayaking is a good way to get to these caves..as i walk, an fish crabs off, lower cliff ledges..its lovely,
especially now,summer here..
Old 05-30-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have done a lot of things since I got sober
went to the beach sober and enjoyed it a lot
went deep sea fishing quite a bit sober...and remember what happened
went to the mountains and had a blast
went fishing with my children
cooked out many times with the family and did not burn the food...
spent many hours with my grand daughter..such a joy
walked my only daughter down the isle last October when she got married....-plus-she looked great!
was able to pay for the wedding...lol..without borrowing money
my wife and I bought our first new car a few years back..and many other things,basically just live good and try and do good things for my family

and of course i have had many cups of coffee and meals with my AA buddies at local coffee shops
Old 05-30-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Carol, I believe, had a post listing 100+ things to do instead of drinking. Its a great post I'll see if I can find it.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Became predictable.......it's all my daughter ever wanted.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
Became predictable.......it's all my daughter ever wanted.
That one really hit home, trucker.

I'm still finding ways to entertain myself, getting acclimated to this new existence. But I agree with the others: it's a pleasure to be in the world again, to really see/hear other people and let them see me. When I get really antsy I just come here and talk to all of you.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am slowly becoming a (semi) professional bodybuilder.

If I was a woman I would try to become a fitness model. Thats just the way my brain is wired.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have (so far):
1. Joined a university Kumdo club - that's like Japanese Samurai style swordfighting, but with an element for battling multiple opponents. Think Blade vs. the vampires.
2. Begun a running program, but so far I can't consisntently go more than a mile so I intersperse it with 1/8 mile fast walk, 1/8 mile sprint.
3. Bought a BMX (20") bike and have relearned how to do wheelies and bunny hops...more tricks to come this summer.
4. Gotten back into weight lifting and am planning to start working out with kettlebells.
5. Become closer to God, I pray more frequently and attend church regularly as well as fellowshipping (is that a word?) with other church members.
6. Begun tutoring some Korean students in English in exchange for helping me with my Korean as I'll be taking a test in Korean proficiency in September.
7. Enjoyed not waking up hungover and being excited to start the day and see how much I can accomplish.

I'm not married nor do I have any kids, so I don't get to list the options of doing family things unfortunately. More power to those who can and do, however.

Great idea for a thread Bulldog.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today I rode 47.2 miles on my mountain bike, never did that much in one day. It was differant and exciting. Feels great not to be hungover and or drunk so that I can experiance these things in life.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rws177 View Post
Today I rode 47.2 miles on my mountain bike, never did that much in one day. It was differant and exciting. Feels great not to be hungover and or drunk so that I can experiance these things in life.
That's totally awesome! Where did you do that? Up in the hills or cruising around the city?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't have anything in particular that's fun, but I'm enjoying all parts of my life a lot more now that I'm not living in a fog or sick as hell. It's like being awake after being in a coma...
Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi I am Desiree an Alcholic an addict!!!! What u said really hit me too I have 43 days sober and I dont know what to do with myself sometimes either......but I know one thing I dont want to die today......I hit 2 meetings a day and I go to D&A outpatient treatment twice a week.......and today on this beautiful day my husband and I took are kids to the park and took tons of pics those were things I took for granted I never wanted to do anything with my family bc I was self-centered and worried about how I was gonna get high for the day.....well getting sober is a selfish program too but Im sure there lots of things u can do.....go to the gym....clean the house.......idk if u have kids but make the best out of things now bc you can not regret the past nor shut the door on it........but u are sober one day at a time and thats what counts.....get a sponsor a support group do some commitments in the fellowship or even to yourself.................Just take it one day at a time and dont pick up it is not the solution!!!!!!!

"One day at a time"
Old 05-30-2010, 09:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I applied and got accepted to graduate school, which I never could have done while drinking since it's such a long, complicated, and expensive process.

I take tons of pictures also...there are no pictures from my drinking years (because either i was too drunk to take them or too embarrassed about how puffy my face got).

I love going to the mountains, being outside, hiking, etc.

I've joined a book club.

I never did anything while drinking...except drink.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm trying to spend more time with my wife, to repair the damage I did there. We gardened together all day yesterday.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do this.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am not sober yet, I am going to treatment this friday.

I have already been thinking about what I want to do.

-Join an adult league basketball team.
-I've always liked to fish, so i'll probably get serious about it and do it more
-I've always been a good poker player, however my win rate when I played drunk was awful, as expected. So i will improve my game.
-I want to buy a Husky as a puppy and raise it.
-I think I want to go to grad school to study investing.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DetroitRock View Post
That's totally awesome! Where did you do that? Up in the hills or cruising around the city?

I live in St. Louis and we have what is called the Katy trail. It goes through several states so it's great for super long bike rides.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I do this.

Is that a Honda or a Kawasaki?

just jokin...nice bike!!!