Notices

Did rehab work for you?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

i sobered up through a treatment center (Sept 89') i Stayed Sober With A.A. For 17 Months.. Then Drank Again at 25 Years of Age.. it Was a Good Experience For Me.. Really Never Surrendered Again Untill i Almost Died at 41 Years Old..
Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

In Rehab I learned how to use addiction treatment principles that would become the foundation for my ongoing personalized treatment plan. In Rehab I discovered that having a holistic approach to addiction treatment that addressed my mental, emotional and physical health was the best option for me.

Behavioral therapy is a continuing Rehab principle that I use to help me improve communication, relationship, and social skills, as well as promote abstinence and a non-drug-using lifestyle.

There is an old wisdom that 'one gets out what they put in' anything that has any meaning to them. Just because I attempt to do something that would help me, doesn't mean that it will work unless I give it my all. Be it a self-help book with meetings and a fellowship or a professional treatment center with coping skill learning, therapist and groups, will avail a person nothing if they just show up and do nothing more that.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ok let me put it like this...rehab was my last option before AA...i went to a 12 step rehab that taught me all about the steps and AA...then drank again...then went to AA...i only went to rehab because after the 5 month dry spell i had with an addiciton counselor, antabuse and anti-depressants i drank again and i knew that there was no way i was going to get sober by myself (took 20 years of trying to get to that conclusion?!)...

Whilst rehab was still an option i wouldn't have gone to AA...and if i had of done i wouldn't have done the work that was necessary to get my spiritual awakening!

I look at my stint in rehab as ticking the last box off of the sheet to the very last box on the page which said kill myself...funny how with the pen hovering over that tick box i suddenly became all willing to go to AA and work the steps;-)