Notices

6 Months

Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking 6 Months

I am celebrating 6 months sober! If feels amazing and tomorrow I am going with a friend to get my 6 month chip, part of me feels kind of bad because I am not actively in AA but I am looking forward to being in a room where people will know the struggles of the accomplishment, I have no chips so this will be special to me.

Ironically the friend I am going with is somebody that I used to see at parties in the same college town. The only time I would see her his when there was a party with lots of drinking, now she is 9 months sober and we are both on the same journey, small world! I think that we both have lost those friends we used to party with all the time.

In these past 6 months I have been reflecting on my accomplishments big and small….

-Enrolled in night classes and have just finished my first semester of night school with an A- & B+

-Acquired a girlfriend who does not drink and is majoring in the same subject as me

-Have not called in sick to work once in the past 6 months

-Started taking Judo early on Saturday mornings along with my jiujitsu training.

-Learned who my “real” friends are

-Started investing my money that I am saving from not drinking

-Always take my vitamins and exercise at least three days a week

-Went deer hunting with my uncles, step-dad and little brother, something I have not done in years due to choosing to party with my friends instead

-Joined SR and found a solid support group

-and countless other tiny things like eating breakfast everyday and not throwing up :-)

Thank you to everyone on here, hearing and sharing similar thoughts has been a big part of my recovery process.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good For You

That's amazing. Congratulations on all your accomplishments. I was sober until Friday night but drank till Sunday. You give me hope about what can be accomplished when you stay sober. I really want to go back to school again by September. I keep wondering when life will start to get better and your post give me so much hope.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actively involved in AA....yes u r.
Most definitely.

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

By the grace of my HP and people
like you here in SR I havent found
it necessary to pick up a drink of
"poison" Alcohol since 8-11-90.

For that and you I am truely grateful.

I went to many meetings listening
intentively to others sharing their
own experiences strengths and hopes
of what it was like before during
and after drinking.

I felt guilty a many a times cause
of fear to speak out.

My sponsor told me that they
have to have those that speak
and those that listen in meetings
and to not worry cause when the
time was right id begin to speak.

Since then, ive spoken a few
words but continue to listen
in face to face meetings but
come here to SR to share my own
ESH with you guys.

Whether u speak there or here
or one on one....there's no rule.

As long as you pass on the recovery
message of how u stayed sober
those many one days at a time.

The messages of hope that was so
freely passed on to u, u do the same
for the newcomer.

Suiting up with ur AA amour and
AA principles and steps to guide
u along ur journey then u r definitely
active in recovery.

Keep going you're doing fine.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

grats on 6 months
Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on the six months sobriety time!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

congratulations! You have many accomplishments to be proud of, and you're an inspiration!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Woo hoo!!!!!that's awesome accomplishments!!!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months! Don't feel bad about not being actively involved in AA. I disagree with that. The primary purpose of AA is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. You may not go to meetings, but you are willing to get honest with yourself, open up to others, and help other alcoholics on this forum. Everyone's program is different, and there isn't a right or wrong way to work it. If you're staying sober, then I say you are doing a lot of things right. Your list of things you have achieved the past 6 months shows that you are growing spiritually, physically, and mentally. Take a look at the AA promises. I'm sure you have seen some of them come true in your life...I know I have!

THE A.A. PROMISES
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gratefulgirl09 View Post
Congratulations on 6 months! Don't feel bad about not being actively involved in AA. I disagree with that. The primary purpose of AA is to stay sober and to help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. You may not go to meetings, but you are willing to get honest with yourself, open up to others, and help other alcoholics on this forum. Everyone's program is different, and there isn't a right or wrong way to work it. If you're staying sober, then I say you are doing a lot of things right. Your list of things you have achieved the past 6 months shows that you are growing spiritually, physically, and mentally. Take a look at the AA promises. I'm sure you have seen some of them come true in your life...I know I have!

THE A.A. PROMISES
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through. We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and selfpity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us—sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.
The promises thing makes a lot sense for where I am at in my recovery.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing your positive progress with us
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Doesn't it feel amazing to look at your list and see what you have accomplished by giving up alcohol? It is an amazing journey for sure. Congrats!!!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Congratulations, that is awesome!! Keep up the good work!