Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

have you had to be treated for depression since, you've stopped drinking?

Notices
View Poll Results: Depression after recovery
No long term depression
39.34%
I've been treated for depression
60.66%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

have you had to be treated for depression since, you've stopped drinking?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:23 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

This is one of those days I just have to grab hold of both cheeks of my @ss and hang on. 'm not even sure why
Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Go out and play Captain. :-) I am! I'm waiting for my motorcycle ride to pull up and off for a cruise and a meeting.

Do something nice for yourself. Easier said than done, I know!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I should have mentioned that before I got help for my depression the longest I could stay sober was almost 80 days. I have 402 days sober today.

I think it's very important to be totally honest with the health care providers. My doctor knows I'm an alcoholic...and so does my therapist.

The thing that's scary for me is that when my meds aren't working I get a major case of the fk-its. It's hard to explain what this is like...it's impossible for me to pull myself out of it...and remembering that is so important. That's why I'm still in therapy.

I honestly think my doctor would NOT prescribe me meds if I wasn't in therapy.

Everything I'm on is non-habit forming. I cannot get high off of it. No benzos.

I know, no medical advice, but here's a little bit for anxiety sufferers to ask a doctor about if he/she does not want to be on a habit-forming med for anxiety:

Now, this doesn't focus on the mental anxiety, but it can help relieve the physical symptoms of anxiety: beta blockers. I was started on Propranolol and am now on Metoprolol. This is a double bonus because it helps regulate my blood pressure and cuts down extremely on the palpitations. I was having premature beats big time before I got on beta blockers...and those palpitations were causing my anxiety to go through the roof. Perhaps I was lucky that in treating the physical symptom helped to relieve quite a bit of mental anguish.

Please talk to your doctor about any of this...and above all...be honest about your using history. Lying when it comes to this will not help you at all.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi in reference to the original question posted by captainzing2000

Yes I had moderate/severe depression when I came into AA. I remember specifically 3 days in a row when I laid my head down on my pillow to go to sleep and tears ran down my face.

Exercise and singing in the shower helped a lot. Prayer was very important for me personally. Every day is a struggle to forgive myself and forgive others. That seems to have a lot to do with the depression in my case. I had to believe very basic things, that my higher power I choose to call God wants me to do the right thing in life. That i'm still here so there must be time to create good in the world before I someday die as we all do. That theres no reason to believe he doesn't want me to lead a happy fulfilling life.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I want to reply to this.

I am on many meds. Immunosuppresant(to prevent rejection of my liver), depression medication and anxiety medication.

I am not ashamed of this because they help me be a better father, son, and friend. I learned long ago that I need help and I couldn't do it myself. Believe me - I tried. I am not as strong as I thought and had to get help. I had such bad anxiety attacks that I would just drive around for hours on end (close to a hospital) crying, sweating, heart beating fast, I just knew I was going to die, it was pure hell.

My daughter saw the start of one of these attacks and luckily her Mom picked her up right then. I went and got help the following day.

We owe it to ourselves, family, friends and society to be the best that we can be. If we can do that without medication, Great. If we can't then we need to swallow our pride and get help.

Still a lot left to do.

My personal goal is to get off all medications except my anti-rejection medication - I will be on that the rest of my life. I will work on this goal until the end if need be. If I can then good for me. If I can't then it is what it is!

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I have never been treated for depression.
I am one of those that has to be pretty bad off to consider a doctor. I have seen some MD's that ,well "RUN FORREST RUN" comes to mind.
Don't get me wrong, I know there a lot of good doctors. But all it takes is one to really change your mind.
Just my opinion.
Fred
Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

quote..""depression and untreated alcoholism (p.52 of big book) have very similar symptoms"".

well i can tell you i have suffered both and i think their about the same as chalk and cheese.

if you suffer from depression..please seek the right help from someone that knows what their talking about..

if you suffer from alcoholism ...please seek the right help from someone that knows what their taking about...

i think its dangerous to put the two on the same shelf.......imo.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

we were a prey to misery and depression
page 52.

It shouldn't be a difficult topic to discuss, but it is. It is an integral part of this disease.

IIRC for 90% of us the depression lifts after just a month or so. 9% of us recover by the end of the first year. 1% will need treatment beyond that.

I was one of the 1% and was on anti-depressants for the first three years I was sober.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I been depressed, though I've been depressed on an off for ages since I was 13-14 so I don't think it's just recovery causing it.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I was drinking to medicate my long-standing depression, which started many years ago. Now that I'm sober, my anti depressants work like they should. Still have depression but it's more manageable and not being made worse by drinking.

Same for me.