Notices

blackouts and alcoholism

Old 04-26-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It is also worth pointing out that for me my blackouts were an indicator of alcoholism being progressive. ie- They got worse. I didn't used to worry about them but they became a great source of anxiety, worry and paranoia which only another drink would fix.

I also used to use drugs to stop me from blacking out too. Many people who are heavily into the scene do that in UK too.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I never thought blackouts were fun.

The fact that i could wake up the next morning and not remember the details of the night before filled me with terror.

I had to make phone calls to bars and friends to get some kind of feedback about the nature of my behaviour the night before.

I would fly out of my sleep in horror because i couldn't remember getting home or where I had left my car.

To my mind blacking out was neither good sport or normal.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If you drink more than a few times and blackout, don't you think it's a strong signal that you have a problem?
If every 2nd or 3rd or 4th time you go out to eat and you overeat and get sick, isn't that a symptom that something's wrong with how you consume food?
Most of the people in my life have never blacked out. I did it more than a few times.
I basically don't stop drinking when i start. But i never drank every day.
That information tells me i have a problem.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have blacked out more times than I can count and I don't think I'm an alcoholic. Maybe I have a problem but that doesn't mean I'm an alcoholic. Maybe you just need to learn your limits so you know how much to drink. How often do you black out?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Cool

"...If you drink more than a few times and blackout, don't you think it's a strong signal that you have a problem?..."

Actually recent studies are showing that some folks seem to have a predisposition to having blackouts, whether they're alcoholics or not. ...and then there's those alcoholics who never had blackouts (yes maybe some didn't realize they'd had blackouts, but not all of them).....hmmmmm, just more good stuff to think on.

NoelleR
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i have blacked out often and I think I have a problem and I think I am an alcoholic. I am a newbie to these discussions, so I am sure my thought carry minimal weight. i know when I black out, I fell anxious or bad, wondering if I have done something to either get caught or hurt someone. Either way, it sucks and I am trying to knock the habit, Good luck to you.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Needhelp, ounce for ounce your opinions and thoughts carry the same exact weight as everyone else around here......