Notices

Weekend With My Former Role Model

Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend With My Former Role Model

Well, my parents had a last minute change in plans, as in the RV broke down for our three week jaunt out of town, so we'll come up and see you and our grand-daughter. How thoughtful. You see, my dad is an alcoholic and taught me all of his skills. I've been sober for 5 days and thought, this should be a blast. I watched him get up in the morning and put brandy in his coffee. Drink beer steadily throughout the day with a "hit" here and there to keep things level. I watched that and rather than joining in, realized how wonderful the decision I made was. Not only didn't I want a drink, but I realize how much better of a husband and father I am becoming day by day. My father would start to slur and get louder. Not to mention the subtle and not so subtle insults directed at me throughout the day. I don't just take it and let him know that another shot of brandy should make him feel okay about what he says. He apologizes and shuts up for a while, but eventually his true colors come out again. This weekend, while a real pain, was right on time. I am so done with alcohol! Now I get to unwind and enjoy MY family today. Just needed to vent to a group that understands. Stay strong and remember, the worst day sober is better than the best day drunk!!! I've only been a member for a week, but really appreciate the support and understanding you have shown me. Thank you so much!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try to keep that picture firmly planted in your mind. It can be easy to forget when Demon alcohol is knocking on the door.

I have seen friends and people I don't know at all in different levels of being drunk since sobering up.
It depends on my mood or the person at the time what I feel. Sometimes I feel pity, sometimes I feel anger. Sometimes I think, why would anyone want to be like that. Thats why AA helps, when someone new comes in, it helps to remember, because our rememberers are broken when it comes to alcohol.
But just like you just did. I always think man I'm glad I don't do that anymore.
Fred
Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All I need to do is remember what a jerk drunk my Father was to have an incentive to stay sober as well. I'm glad you had the chance to put your sobriety in perspective by seeing his drinking. My Dad did eventually come clean but he is a shell of a man to me even in sobriety. It is great to know that all of us coming here see a better future for ourselves before it is too late.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After some time spent with my mother after I had surgery last year, I started seeing signs of me in her especially with her "closet drinking" and other behaviors. She still holds onto a lot of anger towards me being a former active alcoholic and I realize it takes time with a strained mother/daughter relationship or any type relationship for that matter. All I can do for her is pray for her. All I can do for myself is remain sober and make living amends.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
It depends on my mood or the person at the time what I feel. Sometimes I feel pity, sometimes I feel anger.
Fred
I ran the gambit on those feelings this weekend, Never. Pity, anger, and so glad to be making better choices. I know the risks, as I've been "sober" before. Not sure why I feel so different this time. I guess because this time, I'm doing it for me and not to make others happy!

Gob bless and stay strong, all!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your new sober time.
Congratulations!