Notices

How many of you lost your job due to alcoholism?

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In 2004 wen to work drunk and was fired.
Damn near lost my career over my drinking. I was totally out of control and was not functioning well, best thing to have happened to me.
Today I have my life back and am alcohol free.
Today is good.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

First time I got fired I was 21 and my was serving my friends in a restaurant. That bought me shots (which was allowed) and I got hammered. I was the closer and left without doing anything. I mean, anything. Didn't hand in my cashout, didn't clean my tables, I did nothing. My buddies were like, "You ready to go?" I guess I was. Canned the next day.

At another job, I was a barback and got blitzed one night. Went to take the trash out and I reckon I thought it was a good time to just hop in my car and head home. That didn't work out too well.

Now, I've also walked out of other jobs or just quit without notice. Pretty sure my crazy alcoholic brain was behind a lot of the "logic" that led me to quit "good" jobs for "cool" ones.

I'm still in the restaurant biz, because I'm good at what I do and this provides the best income until I finish school. But now, when people tip me, instead of thinking about how many drinks it will buy me after work, I think about what a dent I can put into some bills. That's a pretty big departure from the last 12+ years.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was an up and coming actor, now that's a job you can pretty much be drunk all day and still get work. However, I got lazy and progressively worse, put on 90 pounds. Nothing like incredible weight gain to kill a career in performing. I still work in the business, but now it's all behind the scenes. as I struggle to keep losing weight.

And yeah, regular jobs...I lost one for getting a DUI during my lunch break.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Lost a truly excellent high end bartending gig due to drinking on the job and then as a result of that bonehead move and my reaction to being confronted about it (to lie, deny) ...lost an opportunity for a career in the field I went to school for. I have much regret over that whole situation, because it truly cost me so much in terms of potential career moves and opportunities. The bartending job was not just in some bar either, it was in a five diamond restaurant/Inn and was the type of place you could actually make bartending a career (blew that) and then the other blown opportunity because of that was in law enforcement. So ya, that sucks...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fresh out of college I got a job driving a delivery truck. 1 month in my boss whips out a breathalyzer and I blew a .32...sitting there talking to the guy trying to play it all off..Then he went out to the truck and found the 20 or so empty beer bottles. I'm not really sure how I even made it back to the garage that night...I try not to think about or talk about that one experience. First..hopefully the only job I ever lost due to booze. Now I'm off booze 290 days...took a few more bad experiences (jail, hospital) after that one to finally quit though.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Never sacked but...

...there was a time the group I managed was "eliminated" and I was the only one who didn't find a new home. I MAY have had daily 2-3 hr lunches that involved many pints of cider/beer and MAY have only gone back to my office to grab my laptop and lock the door. What an idiot to think no one noticed - I took my staff drinking every week for f*ck's sake!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have never lost a job due to my drinking, however, I feel as if I am really starting to push my luck at work now.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I never "lost" anything because of addiction. I threw plenty of things away though. I think thats called accountibility. Just sayin...
Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

so...plenty of evidence that it happens pboy - how things with your job right now?

D
Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
so...plenty of evidence that it happens pboy - how things with your job right now?

D
I missed work today
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I never had a regular job. I work with money currency exchange and almost all my job is performed through Internet, so , when I was a constant drunk, the lack of interest regarding bills and my job was evident, after 2 months I was broken. Once I quit drinking, I could put my feets together and get a reality check. It's insane how you give up on your goals once you're intoxicated.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Lost 3. I drank in the mornings before work to feel "normal" and to relieve the shakes. Drank in the bathroom stall, at work, and later drank on my lunch hour. I was pretty lit by the end of lunch. My one job was balancing the branch cash at a bank. I was the vault teller. I was so hammered I didn't know up from down. Needless to say...not a good idea. I was so embarrassed, ashamed and was in huge denial. My drinking got worse from there. It doesn't seem possible, but it did.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I lost two pizza delivery jobs because I kept losing my license or wrecking my car.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

I lost a great job. Lost all respect there. I was an @ss who eventually got fired from a job of over 11 years (after many promotions). I also had to move from the town it was in, which was just as devastating. ...and that didn't stop me from drinking. I had to be humiliated more and arrested twice.

All these post, including my own, make me sad.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm hoping I didn't do such serious damage to my career and reputation that I have a chance of getting it back. I put hundreds of thousands of peoples lives in danger.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I hope so too HVACRGirl....

I did change jobs 3 times after I quit drinking.
My interest changed and I don't regret the moveing on.

Hi again and welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 04-21-2010, 07:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HVACRGirl View Post
I'm hoping I didn't do such serious damage to my career and reputation that I have a chance of getting it back. I put hundreds of thousands of peoples lives in danger.
I haven't put any lives in danger, but I damaged an otherwise exemplary reputation.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I came really darn close. It is by the grace of God that I still have my job of ten years.

I started coming in really hungover, my attitude changed, I reeked. My hands shook as I typed on my keyboard with my boss standing right there behind me as we worked on a project.

Then I started going out and buying vodka miniatures at lunch to ease the withdrawals. I drank 5 or 6 of those and still functioned at work somehow. No one knew I was drunk (I don't know this for sure) but they knew I smelled like it.

My boss contacted HR about my frequent absences and I was called into the office with both of them. They knew I had been to rehab and they both knew what was up. I had to sign some kind of medical release thing (still not exactly sure what it was) that I assumed to be my kiss of death.

That and many other things were my wake up call. I got sober and got involved in AA and started flying straight at work and it is history now even though I know there is a dark cloud over my head.

I come to work every day with a great attitude, do the very best job I can and thank God I still have this job.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post
I came really darn close. It is by the grace of God that I still have my job of ten years.

I started coming in really hungover, my attitude changed, I reeked. My hands shook as I typed on my keyboard with my boss standing right there behind me as we worked on a project.

Then I started going out and buying vodka miniatures at lunch to ease the withdrawals. I drank 5 or 6 of those and still functioned at work somehow. No one knew I was drunk (I don't know this for sure) but they knew I smelled like it.

My boss contacted HR about my frequent absences and I was called into the office with both of them. They knew I had been to rehab and they both knew what was up. I had to sign some kind of medical release thing (still not exactly sure what it was) that I assumed to be my kiss of death.

That and many other things were my wake up call. I got sober and got involved in AA and started flying straight at work and it is history now even though I know there is a dark cloud over my head.

I come to work every day with a great attitude, do the very best job I can and thank God I still have this job.
glad to hear everything worked out for you
Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I left plenty of jobs because of my alcoholism, only been fired a couple of times...i always left because obviously it was the job that was causing me stress which in turn was causing me to drink more...hilarious looking back