Notices

Hospitalized for Drinking???

Old 04-09-2010, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hospitalized for Drinking???

How many of you have been hospitalized for drinking???

I have been twice. The first time was a few years ago I called in sick because I was too hungover to make it to work, so I drank and entire bottle of vodka that day and when my roomates got home they called and ambulance thinking something was seriously wrong as they did not know I had been drinking all day.

The second time I had been sober for about 60 days and my girl friend and I broke up, six days later she commited suicide but jumping off the roof off her college campus and so I fell of the wagon pretty hard. I went on a two day binder and when I ran out of vodka I drank an entire bottle of rubbing alcohol. I woke up in the ICU unti and had to spend three days there, they said I could have gone blind or even have died, luckily neither of the two happen. From there I went into a 28day inpatiant and am at 149days, just curious if others have ever landed in the hospital from drinking.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have I ever...No.

Should/could I have been....Probably.

Steve
Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was hospitalized twice. Both times I called 911 on myself - thought I was having a heart attack after heavy bingeing.

After the second time, the dr. looked at me and said "Don't you think it's time to make some changes?" I answered, "Yeah, I've been meaning to quit smoking."

Duh! :wtf2 Talk about denial working overtime.

Glad you're OK!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

l came home after detox... had the librium they gave me and a lot of drink.
Fell over in the toilet , split my eyebrow open..and stitches.
Other time l walked into a door and a friend brought me to first aid.. have a nice scar from that on my face..
Good reminder every time l look in the mirror.
But the worst scars are not physical...
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
l came home after detox... had the librium they gave me and a lot of drink.
Fell over in the toilet , split my eyebrow open..and stitches.
Other time l walked into a door and a friend brought me to first aid.. have a nice scar from that on my face..
Good reminder every time l look in the mirror.
But the worst scars are not physical...
I found waking up in a hospital to be a scarey awakening. Penny74 this sounds like a very emotional experaince getting both physical and emotional scars to live with
Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

After a Christmas day of heavy drinking...
I started throwing up blood. Lot's of blood. ..

The ER could not get the bleeding stopped
I was diagnosed with esophogeal varices..transfusions started.
3 days in ICU...3 on a medical ward

I was back home ... resumed drinking.....but did
finally quit that April. .

It matters not when or why or what you drink
active alcoholism is progressive ...chronic and deadly.

Congratulations to everyone who is chooseing Life!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can think of several times I should have been, but I was too f'ed up to make that call myself- being conscious but not being able to move or speak- and I guess no one cared enough to do it for me. Or they were just more concerned about being ticketed for underage consumption.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hospitalized twice. Once for smacking my head repeatedly into a police car window trying to escape while being arrested. I eventually kicked it out. Refused treatment at that hospital and went straight to jail. Second time I woke up in the hospital was last year June 27th, the day I quit drinking. Someone had found me laying on a sidewalk late at night and called an ambulance and a cop. I fought with the cop before he pushed me into the ambulance. That next morning I woke up and they released me. I gimped it home on an undiagnosed sprained ankle about 5 miles.

Both were terrible experiences and drove me to finally kick the habit.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep.. glad that will never happen again!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just once...on Monday, June 22, 2009. After my usual weekend beer binge (about 60 beers spread over two days), I had a severe anxiety attack at work...my co-workers were very scared and one of them finally took me to the ER where I was hooked up to an IV and finally came clean to the doctor (and myself) about my drinking. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. As of that day I've finally been able to totally stop drinking and focus on getting my life back "one day at a time".
Old 04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm trying to try.

4 times for me. First time I was 14 and my family came home and found me passed out in the hallway. Apparently they thought I was having a seizure. Then I was nearly hospitalized in October 2007 but I somehow managed to talk my way out of it. Was sent twice in December 2007 though.

My most recent hospitalization was 10 days ago. It's always the same thing: I'm found passed out and covered in vomit somewhere and get carted away. There's a good chance I'm about to get kicked out of school for breaking my university's alcohol policy again. :/ I honestly thought my drinking was pretty much in control and then that night happened.

The sick thing is, I'm always telling myself "Well, I was fine; my life was in no real danger. They over-reacted and I didn't need to go to the hospital. They should have just let me sleep it off!" or, "I'm only getting in serious trouble because I'm underage...if only I had been born a bit earlier!" Wow.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Feb. 1990. Ran off the road possibly
in a black out. Will never know.
Hit a 2ft notch cut out in the road
and car ran off the road hitting a
concrete culvert sitting on top
the ground.

Less than a mile away from home
an EMS came to pick me up....heard
i was cut out of the wreckage of my
smashed in car.

Spent 10 days with a high alcohol
level beyond drunk. I had numerous
broken ribs, a punctured spleen that
was removed so i wouldnt bleed to
death. Another surgery to drain fluid
from a lung.

Sobered up over the next several
months while on pain meds.

Once they stopped working for me
i picked a drink of "poison" which
was in Aug. 1990. I tried to check
out of this life but was intervened
by family.

They called the authorities to pick
me up and led to the back of a
handless back seat police car.

Off to rehab i went where i stayed
for 28 days recieving the tools and
knowledge of my disease of alcoholism.

Been sober for the past 19 yrs with
a many one days at a time collected
together to get me where i am today.

Im filled with graditude today.

Thank you HP.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've been hospitalized 4 times for drinking. The first was last September when I tried to quit drinking on my own. I made it until 6pm that first night and I was positive I was having a heart attack due to chest pain and a rapid heart rate. Asked my bf at the time to take me and I spent 3 days in detox.

The second time was last January-I ran out of liquor and couldn't find my car keys to go get more. I made it until about 3pm that day and my bf found me barely conscious but unable to move and covered in my own vomit, so he called 911. I only spent a few hours in the ER and told them it was anxiety so they just let me go with some Ambien and Ativan (real smart lol).

The third time was this past September, I was on a 5 day bender that I had been hiding from my live-in bf surprisingly well. Until he found me passed out in my car at midnight and he didn't know what was wrong, so off to the ER I went again. Once again let go after a few hours.

The fourth time was on February 5th. I had 4 months sobriety when I lost it on a 5 day binge and my bf took me to the ER 3 times that day-the first they released me with Ativan to detox myself, later my boyfriend saw me drinking and got nervous so took me again, I refused treatment though. Later that night he took me a last time and they locked me up in the psych ward and wouldn't let me go for 2 days. Hopefully that's the last.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yes, once. Woke up after a night of drinking my 'hidden' vodka, slammed some more.. woke up in the hospital with a .568

Started drinking again 3 weeks later... more than ever before.

Hit further 'bottom' months later, been sober since (12/18/08).
Old 04-10-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My trips to hospital were not directly due to alcohol but were basically down to my drinking. My first time I was lashing down the vodka and I figured that I'd had enough of being around so took an overdose. Given the huge link between alcohol and suicidal behaviour I very much doubt I would have had the balls sober. My second time, I had been on a month long bender and I felt like I was completely loosing it so I went round to all the local shops to buy up pretty much any pills they had to really do myself. The third time I was drinking vodka (notice the pattern?) and decided that I didn't fancy going to work that day (because obviously I was getting wasted before work) or in fact living another day at all so another trip to hospital.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can honestly answer a no, first one aout of all the polls here.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been hospitalized twice, as a direct result of my alcohol abuse. The first time was last June, I had the brilliant idea to ride my motorcycle with a 0.24. Well, needless to say, I crashed. Broke a few bones, woke up in the ER about 45 minutes after the accident. Spent two days there. When I woke up I found my GP hovering over me, I must say I am blessed for the excellent GP I have. I told him about my alcohol problem, put me on the Ativan protocol and such. Came home and was taking Ativan 5 days, and Percocet for the next 35 or so. I stopped drinking that day, but I don't count those days as sober ones, seeing as I was high on narcotics the whole time. I didn't drink for 25 days, then I did again. Started back up July 09, and have been drinking since.

My second visit was a few months ago, left work early because of sever withdrawl, went to ER. They said you have to go to detox, I said I can't. Left, went home and cracked open the Vodka. Unfortunately I am not sober at this time in my life, I have a doctors appointment this week, hopefully he will let me do another at home detox.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was hospitalized twice for drinking. The first time was when I was 16 and was in high school. I was drinking heavily at that time, even for a teenager who partied a lot. I drank a fifth of whiskey and blacked out for about 4 hours. Turns out I split form my freinds, walked into a McDonalds, wrippeed a booth out of the wall and wound up at home. My parents took me to the hospital. All I remember is waking up in the hospital which was pretty scary, and I dont remember anything except finishing the booze. The sad thing is, I knew at the time I had a major problem and it took me another 10 years to stop. I wanted to have another blackout session like that again.

The second time was when I was 22, and out of college working my first job. I was drinking every night. I shared an apartment with 2 freinds, and would hide booze in my room and drink until I passed out every night. I woke up in the middle of the night and knew something was wrong and went to the hospital for having a seizure in my sleep.

After that, I have had issues that have not led to hospitalization, but many doctors visits: Heart palpitations, bleeding stomach, stage II hypertension, enlarged liver etc.

Thank God for sobreity though, its been the best part of my life! And it keeps getting better.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes and I hope this is it.

I've been hospitalized 3 times.

First time I was at a friends college graduation party. He had jungle juice that I thought he was being cheap with (not adding enough everclear) so I added vodka and rum to my drinks. I end up giving everyone a nice show so I hear of rolling around in the grass making out with this random guy. I start vomitting and getting very sick. My friends dragged me back to their apartment and at this apartment you had to show ID to get in. I didn't have my liscense or student ID on me so as I am passing out on the couch they are figuring out what to do. At that same time cops were making their rounds and they said if my friends didn't take me to the hospital they would have to arrest me and take me their themselves. So I went..

Second time (a week later) I am out for a friends 21st birthday down in the city. I drink a ridiculous amount getting 2 drinks at once up at the bar. After the bar closes a guy carries me to a taxi with my friends. I am sitting on my sisters lap moaning saying i'm about to puke. The cab drivers says if I puke we have to get out. I start throwing up down my sisters shirt and he kicks all of us out of the cab. As I'm laying on the cold sidewalk half conscious I can't talk but I can hear them trying to think of what to do. An ambulance drives by and turns their lights on when they see me and pick me up. I remember I just kept saying not again and the paramedic said to me "well honey it just doesn't seem like drinking alcohol is for you." I start having a panic attack and need oxygen while I am freaking out.

3rd and last time- My college has a spring festival with bands type of thing. Everyone drinks heavily before going. Well I go all out apparently and I barely manage to walk there. While everyone else went in I said I had to go to the bathroom. I managed to make it out of the bathroom but I couldn't walk any further. I lay on a couch outside the mens bathroom. I find my phone to call people for help but I couldn't see the numbers on the phone or read the screen to actually make a call. Whenever a guy comes out of the bathroom I ask them for help. Finally a guy I knew from a few years ago stops and helps me. A cop was standing right near me but he didn't care that I was that drunk at that point, but once I'm picked up and moved I start vomiting and he calls an ambulance. It was so humiliating to be wheeled out on a stretcher in front of everyone and to see the crowd forming around me when I was laying there. At the ER the nurse that takes care of me lets me know that he is a member of AA and that my life doesn't have to be lived this way. I went to a meeting the next day.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have been in hospitals too many times too count. There was no worse feeling for me than coming off a drunk in a hospital; they pump you up full of fluids and maybe some ativan ( rarely). Then comes that awful craving for alcohol and I just could not wait to get out of there so I could go drink again. Today my alcoholism is held back by the power of God and the rooms Of AA. I have never experienced any relief whatever from cravings except through this program. I hope I never need another hospital, but I'm sure I owe some amends in that department someday.