Notices

gaining weight without eating?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gaining weight without eating?

I seem to be gaining weight without eating.I still drink a bottle of chardonney each day.I thought white wine wasn't fattening?I hardley eat anything in a da but yet i keep gaining weight.How is this happening/.
Nvguy
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could be water retention...
Old 03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

why?

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
Could be water retention...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always thought alcohol had a lot of calories, especially considering it has no nutritional value at all.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wouldn't sweat the weight gain but I would shuck the bottle of wine. Everything gets a whole lot better when we stay sober.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i just wanted to know the chemestry?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You really should see your doctor
and be honest about your drinking.

A simple blood test can give a doctor information
it may or may not be caused by alcohol.

Be safe...see your doctor....
Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

F course carol....See the doctor. I was just wanting some real advice.I wasn't asking for medical advice,just wanting realistic advice.I hpe you can relax a little.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OF course carol....See the doctor. I was just wanting some real advice.I wasn't asking for medical advice,just wanting realistic advice.I hope you can relax a little.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why don't you Google for correct info on the
calories contained in wine? Is that what you
were asking about?

Sorry...I thought you were worried about your health.
I was suggesting a realistic approach to living...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Carol
Why don't you just say that to begin with?You should preach less and just give sme information?We all know by now not to ask for medical advice.
Nvguy
Old 03-29-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Just because many of us are recovering alcoholics doesn't mean we know the answer to every question, nvguy. We aren't chemists, either. I think Carol's suggestion of using the Googles on the Internets was a good one. Amazing you couldn't figure that out without first having to come here and insult a staff member.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nvguy View Post
I've been drinking all of my adult life and it's time to give it up.I've been a lurker on this site for a few years and i swore to myself i would never post until i was very seriouse.Well it's time.Tomarrow will be day number 1.I hate to sound this way,but i'm really hoping to lean on you guys as i go.I know sleep is going to be a bitch,but i have to do it.I envy all you guys who have done it already.Do any of you guys have tipps for the shakes?I know i will have them.I need to get over them as soon as i can.I need to start filling out applications for work and it's hard if your shaking all the time.I hope you guys accept me here and i look forward to the hard adventure.
Thank you
Tony:

What happened to that guy??

Not to bust your balls.. but.. Goto the doctor.. You never know, unexpected water retention could be ascites... bad biz..
Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

NV, is your question coming from a Moderation Management standpoint? I don't think this site gets into that. It's more like addicts that don't want the substance in their lives anymore and share the joy with somebody else that they don't want to be miserable in addiction. Do you want to be off the alcohol?

It's already been said that we're not chemists and that by saying "see a doctor," it is a safe standard to use. One thing I vaguely remember about alcohol in a chemical sense is that the body tries to make do with it as an energy resource, but it isn't food. The body is tricked into dealing with it, and alcohol (through the drinker) keeps going and going until it destroys the body, like a progressive disease. And the mind of the alcoholic doesn't work properly and stop drinking it until or unless there is a special awakening. We weren't born to drink alcohol. Many people are lucky to be alive when they stop, as far as I know.

That's about all I can think of saying right now.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((NV)) this is a forum for people who are trying to recover from alcoholism and addiction....not people who want to figure out how to keep doing what they've been doing.

That being said, I was a nurse for many years and as Imreadytoquit says, it could be ascites, which is due to liver damage. So, in other words - go to a doctor.

Hugs and prayers!!

Amy
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nvguy, nobody here is telling you to see a doctor because they don't want to help or don't care about what you're going through. Nobody is trying to force you to do anything. It's just that we are not doctors and so we can't tell why you might be gaining weight even though you aren't eating. Intuitively, your question sounds like it might be something you would want to tell a doctor about because people don't normally gain weight while they aren't eating, which might mean that something is wrong.

The people here care about you which is why nobody will answer your question directly. I'mReadyToQuit even remembered your post from a while ago which shows people have been thinking about you. If we guessed at an answer to your question, we would probably be giving you false information which would damage you in the long run if it turns out that you are sick. Please go see a doc, he or she will be able to give you a real, straight answer and help you to get better if you are sick. If it turns out to be nothing, then at least you have the peace of mind, right? Then you can come back and tell us all it was nothing. :ghug3
Old 03-29-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Tons and tons of calories. The sugars in alcohol can quickly turn into fat. I'd second (third?) the opinion about seeing a doctor, sometimes there's other reasons besides overdrinking for loads of medical problems... I know when my uncle died of liver failure he blew up like a balloon because his organs were leaching out tons of fluid as they were destroyed. Or maybe if you're not eating, your body is holding on to all those sugar calories and saving them up. Who knows? See a doc. I know when I was drinking I was bloated and very unhealthy.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

I don't know the real answer about why it happens but it also happened when I drank without eating. I think my kidneys and liver were just unhappy with me and responded with fluid retention.

Bottom line - I quit drinking and began to eat healthy and feel better now at 32 than I did when I was 19 and ruling the world (in my mind anyway)...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think a glass of wine (8oz) has 180 calories. Probably about 700 or 800 calories in a 750ml bottle?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

well i got a little confused by replies so though to use browsing for that and here is what i got:
" A study published in the American Journal of Epidemiology showed that women who drink one to seven alcoholic drinks per week had a lower risk of gaining weight than women who abstained completely from alcohol. The reason for this is unclear, although various theories have been proposed. It's possible that women who consume alcohol on a regular basis may be less inclined to eat other high calorie, sweet foods. Some studies have also shown that alcohol can slightly boost the metabolic rate which could lead to weight loss."

This might be the answer of your question