Notices

today is my day.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

today is my day.

well, here I go again.

34 years old, 3 kids, perfect family. Self-employed. A complete drunk.

Just a bit of intro - I'm a very happy person with one BIG problem...I'm a drunk. I've been a recreational drinker for most of my life, and then in '04 my first marriage began to crumble. With it, my drinking intensified. In '06 we split, and that pushed me further down the drunken slide. I eventually remarried a wonderful woman and yet was then stuck w/ quite the habit. 12 pack a day.

So here I sit and I am going to stop today.

My wife recently went on a 7 day trip and my intention was to quit while she was gone so that I could get past all the withdrawal, but alas, left to my own devices for so long, I instead simply drank every day. She returned last night.

So today I'm going to quit. I've said this approximately 18038293 times, but I SIMPLY MUST STOP.

I do need some help though: how do you get past that MOMENT of temptation and decision. For me it begins around 2pm. I begin to figure out how I'm going to drink that night. And then on my way home, I will come to the stop light. Turn right, I go straight home. Turn left, I hit the gas station. I ALWAYS TURN LEFT. How do you get through that one moment? I fail over and over and I need some help TURNING RIGHT.

anyway, thanks in advance for any encouragement or advice.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you checked with your doctor on how best to de tox?
That's always a wise idea.

How about driving home a different route?
How about not taking cash/credit cards to work?
How about finding your local AA for support?

Glad to know you are here back
Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by BigTex View Post
well, here I go again.

34 years old, 3 kids, perfect family. Self-employed. A complete drunk.

Just a bit of intro - I'm a very happy person with one BIG problem...I'm a drunk. I've been a recreational drinker for most of my life, and then in '04 my first marriage began to crumble. With it, my drinking intensified. In '06 we split, and that pushed me further down the drunken slide. I eventually remarried a wonderful woman and yet was then stuck w/ quite the habit. 12 pack a day.

So here I sit and I am going to stop today.

My wife recently went on a 7 day trip and my intention was to quit while she was gone so that I could get past all the withdrawal, but alas, left to my own devices for so long, I instead simply drank every day. She returned last night.

So today I'm going to quit. I've said this approximately 18038293 times, but I SIMPLY MUST STOP.

I do need some help though: how do you get past that MOMENT of temptation and decision. For me it begins around 2pm. I begin to figure out how I'm going to drink that night. And then on my way home, I will come to the stop light. Turn right, I go straight home. Turn left, I hit the gas station. I ALWAYS TURN LEFT. How do you get through that one moment? I fail over and over and I need some help TURNING RIGHT.

anyway, thanks in advance for any encouragement or advice.
Hi Tex and welcome.

If you are an alcoholic, the will power alone will not get you and keep you sober. That's why you keep turning left.

Have you considered going to AA?

AA has a program of recovery which when worked properly will remove your mental obsession to drink alcohol.

Good luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BigTex, I don't know what the magic is that helps us when we pass the decisive moment. It's "God" or whatever we held on to when we were convinced we finally wanted to stop.

I had the "turning left" syndrome too, and it was a sure thing every other day or whatever was required to keep the stash replenished. I had never gone more than a couple of weeks without drinking for a long time (usually drank every day). Every once in a while I notice the time on the clock that I would normally have made sure I had been to the store prior to make sure I wasn't out of luck. Sometimes I remind myself (with a smile inside) that I am glad I am not a slave to that routine anymore.

I guess it is the intersection in your mind at 2pm that needs to be looked at more than the one on the route home. There has to be something lovable about getting past 2pm and taking a different road. What that is depends on each of us.

I'm glad you want today to be the day!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you decided to live a sober life. It's not easy but is worth the effort. AA or another face to face support group might be helpful, as is coming here and posting your thoughts/questions. Whatever you do to stay sober, make it your top priority. All the best to you.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Big Tex, I have written similar post in the past. Just know you are not unique. Most people here have been where you are at and have figured out a way to make the correct choice. What helps me is to know that the voice in your head telling you to make the turn to the liquor store and is trying to figure out how to get drunk at 2 pm IS YOUR DISEASE. That's what this is. The disease is very subtle, innocent, and seems harmless. Just know that your brain has been programmed to react to the disease for a long time.

If your not spiritually fit, you will seldom win those battles. I have learned through AA and working with my sponsor that my spiritual condition is the only thing that will defend me against the next drink. Left on my own, I will consistanly make the wrong choice (booze). I would suggest praying and asking for spiritual help in those situations. Even if you don't have a god of your understanding yet, just make one up. Ask that thing to help you and to guide you. Over time, you'd be amazed at the results.

I know it sounds corny and cleshae (sp), but it truly does work. Best of luck man. You can do this, one moment at a time....
Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
hps

Well, I couldn't do it by myself. And though it seems as if it should be so simple to not drink, it wasn't the case for me. I was always turning left in the afternoon, after swearing off booze in the morning. So I went to lots of AA meetings, which also had the advantage of giving me something to do in the afternoon.

As for dealing the cravings, I found that I could manage to get through the day without giving in (if just barely). Once I confirmed that my life does not fall apart if I didn't drink, I could manage to ignore the occasional suggestions from my brain that a drink would be a really good idea.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, you are definitely not alone. My habit is to go about my work-day, generally happy. Sometimes go to the gym after work and where would my stop be after work? The liquor store to stock up on booze.

I'm only on day 9 and I'm telling you, it's a struggle. I know the Wine Store is open for another 2 hours and I'm battling with myself. I keep thinking, "Just one more night of drinking won't hurt me." But I know what that "just one more night" means.