Notices

Dreams of drinking...

Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams of drinking...

Good morning everyone!
I'm wondering if any of you have had drinking dreams??? Last night I dreamt I was drinking, and even in the dream I woke up hungover....and it felt so real when I actually did wake up!!! I'm still only 57 days into my sobriety so I'm wondering if this is something any of you have experienced early on, or still experiencing??

Thanks!!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This gets posted here regularly. It is very common. You can even have faux hangovers for a minute or two after you first wake up.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes faux hangovers.....spooky stuff!! I didn't realize it was that common!! thanks for the info!!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm newly sober.. (again), but the last few months I would dream about drinking a lot.. Then just wake up and drink.. Guess it brings new meaning to a wet dream..
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ive got 58 days sober right now. I had one of these dreams about a month ago where I dreamt that I was drinking and even in the dream I already hated that I was doing it.

When I woke up it took me a couple of minutes before I realised that I did NOT actually drink the night before and that it was just a dream, I was so relieved!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i've had dreams like that for weeks... i was also wondering if anyone else had them & im glad to see its actually common it was kind of freaking me out!!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I still have them (sober since 12/08), but not as frequently. My counselor that I had seen told me to just think of it as a way to go 'back out' and feel the fear, shame, and finally relief that it wasn't real.. In all the dreams I've had, that's what I've felt.. afraid, embarrassed, hiding it, etc.. thank god it's only a dream!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yer man, they come and go, just 'let it ride' as Shedseven said (90's English band)
Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same here, I have had them on and off for 7 years, it becomes funny at times. I wake up in a panic, and say ?"o-****" and check my pants pockets and when I pull out money even if its only 1$ I know that I was dreaming, because the old me would have found a way to turn that buc into a beer
Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get them almost every night...but they have lessened in intensity over time
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Yes, love, I have experienced this when I was off drinking for like 20-40 days and even at my 200 day point at times... it can be very amazing how vividly realistic it seems. BUT IT'S NOT! :] We awaken, sober
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've have them, too. Not very often anymore though. I always wake up either panicked or crying when I do and then I feel relieved it's just a dream.

They are a lot better than the dreams I used to have almost nightly while I was still drinking though. Those were really weird like I couldn't tell if I was asleep or awake. Don't really know if that is a common side effect of being an alcoholic or not, but it was freaky. Anyone else ever have those?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had drinking dreams regularly until about six months sober. I had them sometimes after that, until I was about 2 years sober. I used to wake up crying because I was sure that I had been drinking.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had them nightly in the beginning. I am someone that rarely remembers their dreams too. They always were almost nightmares in thinking I was drinking again and was not intending too.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Occasionally I have a drink (usually beer) in my dreams but even in the dream I'm like WTF am I doing, and I feel disappointed in myself that I let my sobriety go, then when I wake up and remember I'm instantly siked because it was just a dream and I'm still sober, I didn't drink that drink after all!!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've always thought of my early drinking dreams were part
of my brain becoming healthier/de saturated....
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

When I first saw this question a few weeks ago, I didn't think I had them. I am one whose dreams evaporate rather quickly...but I think it's possible after all (when I let my mind wander). It makes me think of the film with Sandra Bullock from a few years ago (Premonition??) - the one where she dreams her husband is dead, only to find him next to her or in the shower, and then a cycle of memories shifting position over and over again, on again, off again. I remembered thinking this had an alcoholic feel to it when I saw the movie a few months ago, but I didn't really understand why. (I was either close to quitting or had already done so, I haven't checked on that.) Something about the way the shame comes in and out. Maybe the person who wrote it had some insight into that kind of experience. Haven't checked that either.

It also reminds me of having a dream that you are still in elementary school when you are already in high school. Or high school yet again if you have gone on and gotten a job or gone to university. Same idea about not having control over something. Once in a while I will have a dream that my father or mother is "back," but they have been dead for years.

Anyway, maintained sobriety is of course a good reality to snap into.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had one last night and also wondered if other people had them, I think it's the first I've had since I stopped drinking, which is ages now.

All I can remember is I was getting drunker and drunker and trying to hide it from people around me and I was drinking red wine, something I hate, and guess what, I was drinking it from a pint glass, typical.

I put it down to be being worried about losing my job and feeling unsure of things at the moment.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My father passed away when I was 6. A couple of years ago, he came to me in a dream and showed me piles of liquor/wine & beer bottles and told me that this would be a problem for me if I didn't stop. I didn't listen to my Dad's spirit in the dream, just kept on drinking regularly at night.

I know that's not a dream of me drinking, but it was a sign of things to come. A few days ago I had a dream that my friends were all drinking beer and I was the only one at the table who didn't. That felt really, really good. Haven't tried it in real-life yet (I've been avoiding my drinker friends) and I don't think I'm ready to, either.