Notices

first meeting?

Old 09-29-2003, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

first meeting?

New and confused!!
Am debating whether to attend a meeting tonight at 8pm.

Me and hubby are both addicts. I know he won't go with me...too proud!

IF I go alone, what can I expect??
Old 09-29-2003, 05:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR forums, Im alcoholic and a member of A.A.
I don't know about NA meetings, but I'm sure you will find other addicts there that are willing to help.
feel free to brouse the other forums here, we have general recovery and an NA forum too.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome

Just go and find out...Summer

The only addict you can work on is you. Seeking recovery is an individual choice. I am pleased to see you looking for your solution.

Good Luck...:shades:
Old 09-29-2003, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It Works It Really Does

First Meeting

SB...
I came into AA full of fear...the unknown is always terrifying. Your hubby is probably a lot like I was...thinking such a move would be destroying my manhood, my independence, etc. etc. All kinds of silly thinking.

Some one asked me if I thought I could lick the world's heavyweight boxing champ...of course I said "no!" But the old bottle licked me worse than any boxing champ ever could, and I kept going back for more. I hadn't lost my manhood...I'd lost my sanity. Repeating the same thing and expecting different results...a definition of the word insanity.

I hope you enjoy your meeting....remember that everyone you will see there also had those "first meeting fears" so you will not be unique. Some of the fear could be the thought of "being scared to death that the program WILL work!"

Let us hear how you made out!

Don A.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a lot of fear about going to my first meeting but allofit vanished when for the first time in my life I realized I wassitting in a roomful of people who understood what I was going through.

Going to meetings was the most important decision I had ever made in my life and I want to commend you for the courage you have shown to do something about your problem.

Never mind that your husband has not yet found the courage to address his own problem. Start taking care of yourself and maybe one day he too may decide to follow your lead.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Yes have to agree with the others.

I too was terrified and didn't know what to expect. You'll be greeted by a beautiful bunch of people who will simply ask you to state your first name.

Usually a reading from the Big Book will be read, or a topic chosen for discussion, people will either volunteer to share their experiance about the meeting or the person in charge chair person will call on people. If your not ready to say anything simply say "you'll pass today", good luck and be proud of yourself, my life changed too when I walked through those doors.*hugs*