Notices

Weight Gain/Loss Post-Drinking

Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

what you said is so true...I think that is why i stopped going to my gym...(which a beautiful place, clean huge and all the aminities)...I was embarrassed at the bloating and lack of progress...it was stop and go, and I just gave up.

reading about everyone else's thoughts on weight loss here are very motivating to me to keep my sober resolve....today is Sober Day 17 for me...time to start working out because I am now strong and rested enough to get back to it....and good physical activity helps my depression naturally too...which is a big drinking "trigger" for me.

thanks for starting this thread!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've gained a few pounds, but it was sorely needed. Booze tormented my body. Muscle began to drip off of me. I even lost my butt (it was a nice butt, lol). One of the great things about recovery is slowly getting your body back. Alcohol just robs your physique of everything. Some will gain weight while drinking, but I think it's far more common to slowly waste away.

Once you quit drinking you tend to start eating actual food as opposed to skipping meals or eating garbage while drunk. So far, this has been my favorite part of the process - food! The simple pleasure of grilling and eating a steak can't be recommended highly enough.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've lost about 20kg (44lbs) so far, 25 to go
Old 03-05-2010, 03:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

congrats baker!......

I'm on SoberDay 18 today...if I wanted to *obsess*...i've saved close to 36,000 wine calories since I've stopped drinking....that's close to 4-5 lbs, i could have, would have gained....(and close to $100.00 of my *disposable* income i would have spent on wine too).
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Fandy - I too was a "wino" and thinking about all of the empty calories I consumed makes me want to THROW UP! How many calories is a bottle of wine? I was consuming about two bottles a night. Geez....I could have been a skinny mini years ago if I had gotten with the program.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

we figured that a large glass of Cabernet was almost 200 calories a glass (7-8 ounces)....I was drinking 8-10 glasses each night, 7 days a week...I took into account the fact that I now have both chocolate and cookies every evening with my herbal tea...but I am still running a calorie deficit.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Fluffhead72;2532032]Besides the calories in booze, hangover days are an excuse to binge on (usually unhealthy) food...all day long...and not go to the gym, obviously. QUOTE]

Hangover days? Never had many of those because I would drink before the hangover got bad. ugh!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cool

I am starting week four and I have lost 14 pounds. Before drinking I weighed a comfortable 185 pounds three weeks ago I was 250. Today at the docs office I was 236. The Doc said it should continue. I have not lost any appetite and not really watched what I have eaten. I have done some running, but nothing intense. Right now just getting focused on life and being clean.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I put on a lot of weight when I was drinking. Thankfully the past month or so since I quit I also started workin' out and working a diet, lost about 12-13lbs in the past month.

Steve