Notices

Sick of Drinking

Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick of Drinking

So I haven't had anything to drink since Monday night when I downed a liter of white wine and a six pack of beer. The past 2 years I have been drinking a six pack a night and periodically binging within the past 7 months closer to 8 or 9. The past few months I've been getting "the brain fog"... it's been easy giving up the beer, but the fog is what brings me back. My job requires me to use my brain quite a bit, but is also quite boring at the same time. While at work the fog kills me, I find myself doing anything but work (although I get by doing just enough) and time draaaaagggggssss... otherwise I just feel a bit disorientated outside of work. I'm sick of feeling this way, and I'd be happy to give up drinking for good just to get rid of this feeling. I had visited the doctor because I had thought the feeling was a blood sugar issue... it seemed to come on strong after I ate lunch. I had a blood test done (liver came back normal, thank god) and glucose tolerance tests, all fine. I had a nice binge last week due to business travel and schmoozing with the clients. Now I just want to get healthy. I went out and bought some milk thistle, omega-3, B complex, and one of those crazy good multi-vitamins (6 pill/day packs). Its a real shame because I have quit drinking for a little over a week about a month ago because I had enough then (old college buddies came to visit me)... it was cake quitting and the fog was no where near this bad. It always seemed as if there was some sort of connection between what I had drank and how bad/good the fog was after. I just wish I had stuck with it last time. I'm so tempted to take a night of drinking just to see if I could fix my fog issue, though I know its probably not worth it.

I know there are no shortcuts to dropping the fog, but if anybody has any words of encouragement or tricks that helped them push through it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also, whats the deal with people saying you should cut out caffeine (coffee) when quitting drinking? I've always drank coffee, I hate to give that up too!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Not sure about not drinking coffee. I have tried to eat better. An apple is a good way to start your day. Any fruit with breakfast helps start the day for that matter. I have to get up once in a while from the computer at work to give my mind a break.

I have been drinking more green tea instead of as much coffee
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

tempted to take a night of drinking just to see if I could fix my fog issue, though I know its probably not worth it.
You're right about that: it's NOT worth it and will only increase the 'fog'. As to giving up coffee, when going thru alcohol withdrawal your body is in a very hyper/anxious state because you're not giving it the alcohol depressant, so anxiety is a common reaction when giving up drinking - at first. I had to forego my coffee for a few days but now can have it with no problems.

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to our Sober Recovery community!

Try attending 90 AA meetings for 90 days. Get & call phone numbers of recovering alcoholics to help you stay sober. Participate in your recovery by asking someone to sponsor you. Help another alcoholic stay sober on a daily basis.

That's what i did and i'm still clean & sober.
Might work for you if you give it a chance.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure whether you're trying to quit drinking or find a hangover cure (there is none). The fog you speak of, which in my case is an anxiety/despair/depression mix that's utterly debilitating, reliably disappears after four or five days once I quit. Taking vitamins and eating helps but not that much in my case. It's always a sentence of four or five days before I feel normal again. Half of that recovery time is spent asleep.

The day after a night of heavy drinking, is the first thing on your mind in the morning to have a drink? Or does the idea of alcohol make you sick? That's the single most reliable metric I know of for determining alcoholism.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you joined us.....Welcome...

Alcohol and your brain? You might find this info interesting

Alcohol and Brain

Keep posting....many of us are now non drinkers
Sobriety is simply super....
Old 02-23-2010, 02:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DanielP View Post
The day after a night of heavy drinking, is the first thing on your mind in the morning to have a drink? Or does the idea of alcohol make you sick?
No question..

Have a drink.

Le sigh..........
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The same lunch snooze happens to me. To fix it I eat "less" for lunch.
Have soup 'n salad or humus on pita. Something like that. Stay away from a big slice of pizza, big burger, things like that. That'll put you to sleep.

CJ.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, still haven't had any thing to drink since the 15th. Still have the fog... wish it would go away already! A little bit depressed, and sleeping a helluva lot!