Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I'm surprised $$$ isn't discussed here more often

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know there's been an occasional thread entitled, "how much money did you spend drinking" ... but most of my adult life a great percentage of my discretionary cash went to the bar. Lucky I'm not a daily drinker, just don't know when to say when once I start.

I'm not rich, and I always pay my bills, but I'm done spending ridiculous amounts of money at the bar. We're talking several new cars.

For some reason I have a personality that once I get buzzed my favorite line is "get a round for everyone!"
Can anyone else relate?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

you are correct....we have several SR threads on this.
If you do a site search you can find them.

However....some of our newer members may want to
chime in......so........here we go.....
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

I had my monthly budget of around $300 (I drank cheap beer). Then, I met my husband who intruced me to $100+ checks at cheap restaurants. :-)
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've never tried to estimate how much I spent on alcohol.....
Impossible to guess as I was a daily blackout
bar fly for years.

Whatever it was had no bearing on the ammount I drank.
I was single.. attractive..always had men in my life....
worked in the hotel/restaurant/bar business...tipped well
So a lot of free booze came my way...

I had no problem financially but I sure
I had saved for my senior years. I did not

The jobs....looks and men are gone...however
I still enjoy life on a limited income
How?

I'm an AA recovered alcoholic.....

Last edited by CarolD; 02-15-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

oh about $6,000 on rum and another $60,000 on various other drugs. And he was so proud that he'd cut back on a coupla pills to buy my engagement ring, at a pawn shop, for $125!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My one attempt at formal rehab (28 days in-treatment) cost $18,000. I never spent that much in 28 days drinking.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

ah no, I hated it when some A hole would want to do that buy a round for the house crap. I was like Norm on cheers I'd take a free drink but, I hated to buy a round. At the very end of my drinking, I drank alone so, I didn't spend as much money as I would've in a bar.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I always felt that I functioned very well, paid my bills on time and provided for my family. But looking back, how much I spent really doesn't matter, the damage I did was to my relationships, not my bank account or wallet.

In recovery, I don't have a need to look back on the money wasted anymore. I do however notice how much I have in my pocket now, and I try my hardest to donate as much as possible to help others.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Very relevant angle to focus on P, for a lot of us here. For me the the greatest damage was collateral (how my drinking self treated money in general when I went through periods of heavy consumption). I had a short term instant gratification mindset, where I was conscious of my bad financial decisions, but didn't care. I rationalized by telling myself I was still young and would be more responsible in the future. Took me a while to realize that I needed to totally eliminate booz to do it, but here I am six months and change w/out a drink, a manageable amount of debt and in the process of establishing effective long term result orientated habits. Life is good!

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 02-15-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Ypo
Old 02-15-2010, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Although I spent a lot on the alcohol itsself, I also spent A LOT shopping while I was under the influence. Whether it was internet shopping or mall shopping, I never failed to buy whatever I could get my hands on. (Mostly clothes, shoes, jewerly, etc)

After about 3 years of serious credit card damage, I'm now happy to say that I'm going in the opposite direction!

Oh, and it wasn't just the shopping that caused financial problems...but the legal troubles I had associated with my drinking. I had a DUI which cost me. Of course there was quite the ripple effect...needed a new car since I wrecked mine, higher insurance, oh the list goes on and on!

Life is a lot more simple now.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Now that I think of it, I probably spent $200 a month at the bar during my Epicurean years.

Even during my last Popov Vodka at home drinking days I easily spent $150 a month.

That probably works out to about a new car every 6 - 8 years.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At ten dollars for a bottle of wine, and drinking from one to three bottles a day, well that's at least three hundred dollars a month.... probably more.... What a waste of money and time, and all so I could feel either numb or sick as a dog....
Old 02-15-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

During recent years I would spend about $500 per month, as a consistent, chronic at-home beer drinker.

Ten years ago, there was a 2 or 3 year period when I would go out to bars and dance clubs a lot, plus drink at home, though there was less consistency to the at-home part. (The alcohol was in the earlier stages of becoming medicine back then, so I wasn't enveloped inside myself as much.) Sometimes I got free drinks either from pals or people that "liked" me, but not that much. Still, I probably spent more back then, like $800 on average, even though I made way less

Times have changed
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

OMG this is what my bf and i talked about when we decided to quit...we'd easily spend $100 on dinner/drinks and then at least $150-200 at a bar...easily....
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was probably one of the cheapest drunks out there. I was a business major in college when I first started to drink. I loved economics, operations management, finance, and statistics ... I was a total nerd!

I carefully calculated that the most efficient and cost-effective way for me to get hammered was to buy the cheapest 100 proof vodka available. It was $6.97 for a 750 ml bottle. I drank one of those every day, straight out of the bottle. I hid it in my computer desk cabinet. It was always warm and nasty, but I needed it.

If I was out with family or friends, I would join them with ONE glass of wine or ONE margarita. I'd watch them get tipsy. How cute. But they never saw me hiding my vodka ... I had alot of empty bottles to smuggle out of the house too ...

So glad that's over! No more smuggling, no more hiding. No more hangovers, no more sickness. No more blackouts, no more cravings. No more shame. It's over.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I typically spend between $200-$500 per night at the bar
Old 02-15-2010, 06:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I was never much of a "bar drinking" kinda guy. More getting hammered by myself in my room. I'd say, at my worst, I'd spend $150-$200 a month. Now pot was a different story, That was a $800-$1000 or more a month habit!! I quit the pot about 9 months ago, and have been competely sober for a month and a bit. Not only do I have more money from not spending it on pot and booze, I was able to get a better job and perform at a higher (no pun intended!!) level, and make considerably more money. Good deal all around!!!! Take care.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There is no telling how much I spent on drinking. At my worst I spent about $100 - $150 a week, and I never went to bars or bought for anyone else. Though I did mostly buy brands of liquor I liked instead of just what was cheapest.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It cost me more than l an afford... in more than one way...
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think approx $6,000 - $7,000 over 12 months, what a waste of money!