Notices

How to get away from ME?

Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

How to get away from ME?

Ok, ok, odd topic... but part of my drinking was about mental vacation... checking out for awhile. Being able to just "be" and not always face true raw emotions.

So- 5 months of sobriety... 5 months of GOOD sobriety, but at the same time, I'm getting sick of being with me 24/7. It's weird, but I am getting on my nerves. Really. Like, where I used to go hide from myself is now all boarded up and I'm cornered and stuck with someone I don't necessarily like all the time.

Anyone relate or have ways to deal with something similar?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober member

nope,as an active alcoholic i can only envy you

im sure you cant be that bad to be with if you are not drinking

your answers will be here soon from someone that can help.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wow.....5 months is a super beginning....

Perhaps a therapist would be beneficial.
Just a thought

Once my alcoholic depression fled I found I really
enjoyed the new me that emerged. So I
Old 01-23-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I often get sick of myself....only on day 24....

I see the stupid stuff in my self...mostly very self centered sort of thinking...

And i just wanna puke on occasion...

What was recomended to me was to call up a woman and ask her how she is doing....don't talk about me but listen to her...

It seems to help gives me a vacation from the voices in my head and the irritating traits I have.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Ananda

what worked for me was whenever I felt I was thinking about myself a little too much, I'd focus on helping other people - not only did it curb my self obsession, but I eventually found that I actually began to like myself, which was a revelation for me.

D
Old 01-23-2010, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think exercise is a good way to "get away". I ride a bicycle in the summer, there are several really good bike trails around here. One over 30 miles long.(I don't ride it all at once).
But I also joined a gym. It costs per month what I used to spend on beer in about 3 days. I think it really helps.
Congrats on 5 months.
Fred
Old 01-23-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Go help someone else.

I help a friend that needs stuff like food cooked and things done around her house. She is at a precarious stage of neediness. I can't tell if she needs it or likes the attention. Either way, I do it and we talk and I feel good and I think she does too.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have you worked all the steps?
Old 01-23-2010, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

banana girl got it!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Being of service to others & being in conscious contact with God helps alot.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just watched Good Will Hunting, and that took me out of myself - maybe it's just the wat I immerse myself into films. Reading fiction has also allowed my mind to wander off to pretty places. Short stories of Amy Hempel are an excellent choice!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

as much change as you can throw into the mix to stay as fresh as you can keep stalemate and stagnation,to a minimum, refresh your outlook with fresh challenges as
much as you can, my tuppence of thought,
Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found the solution to getting away from me, and more importantly getting out of my own way, involved working with other people. By helping others, and not necessarily other alcoholics, I became a lot less self centered. The world doesn't revolve around me after all! Once I crossed that hurdle, my road to recovery became much smoother.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Helping others - There is so much out there to do, pm me if you would like to know what sort of things I do to be of use.

Manual labour or a task that requires concentration

Exercise - cardio+iPod=blessed silence in my head

My dogs - love them love them love them, what can I say? My higher power maintains anonymity by using my dogs as agents. I know I am fortunate to be in a situation where I can have pets, if you are not maybe find other ways to get in touch with the natural world.

Reading - something fun and a page turner, not intellectual stuff or recovery related.

Some non-chemical things I used in the past to escape are problematic in thier own right, like sex and MMORPG's, so I am staying away.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

When I start feeling down on myself, I focus on what I am grateful for. If that doesn't work, I go try to do something nice for someone else.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The Altered state of mind is a misser isn't it? Funny thing is, when we pour alcohol into our brains the only person we are really thinking about is ourselves, then the guilt of hangover is all about us and how we feel, then we think about how to get rid of making ourself feel so cr*p so we pour more alcohol in and we are thinking about ourselves again and anything we do in alcohol is purely not really us. So it's the real you you don't like spending so much time with? but it is probably the real you the people who love you like So much better.
Here's a few Ideas, don't know if they are your sort of thing but might be worth a try.

Morning Notes: Called so because you rise earlier than anyone else in the household, when all is quiet. Make yourself a hot drink, sit down with a large notebook and pen and just write. Don't think about what you are writing, don't care about what you are writing, don't re-read it or check for spelling, just simply keep writing very quickly whatever is in your head, however ludicrous it might seem, nobody but you will see this. When you have finished for that day, do not read it, just close the book. Do this every day for 2 months. Do not read any of it. At the end of the two months you may go back to the start and read your work. It is a truely amazing experiment and you'll find out some suprising things about how you really work. It also clears your mind each morning, because more often than not, you've already said most of what is bothering you before your day fully begins and your time is clearer for all the other things involved in Your day which are not all about You.

TALK: To anyone you can, it doesn't matter if you don't know them too well or if you feel a bit silly at first, I've found that most people are more than happy to chat about anything, most of the time they take the conversation over. It's a warm feeling. Smiling at people too is a stunner, they can't not smile back! (well, not unless under exceptional circumstances!)

CHALLENGE YOURSELF: If you've never done it but always wanted to, plan it, let the you that you are a bit sick of plan to something you never really summoned up the engergy to do and go along with it. You'll probably find that you you were sick of was absolutely right and it was good. She/He will eventually become your best friend, because she/he ain't goin no-where without you.

It will pass, it has too because you are strong. (p.s Hope this all made sense!)
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I'm not currently working the steps... but I have a therapist who is also an addictions counsellor that I speak with. (I know they are not the same thing, just saying I'm not doing 'nothin'.) I like the ideas about getting out and being active, whether it's exercise or helping others.

Arena, I am really going to try your experiment... I think that could be really interesting if I can stick to it.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good on you sunrise, it is so very worth sticking with it. Becomes a good habit. Good Luck & hope you're feeling better
Old 01-29-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you want to get away from yourself volunteer at a homeless shelter or a humane society. The homeless people and animals will love you for it and I guarantee you'll feel better about yourself.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sunrise, you've received lots of wonderful advice about getting out of yourself, so I won't reiterate what's already been said. I just wanted to say, "hi," and to let you know that I can totally relate to your predicament.

To echo a previous SRer, rather than talk, listen. This is perhaps one of the greatest gifts we give to each other.

Arena, thank you SO much about the advice regarding morning notes. I'm going to start doing this ASAP--I am way too in my head these days! You will never know what a great thing you did for this alcoholic while helping another alcoholic. Thank you, thank you.