Notices

Newbie that wants to stay dry

Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Newbie that wants to stay dry

I'm new, just registered today. I've been a heavy weekend drinker for the last 6-7 years. But in the last year I've started drinking during the week and more on the weekend. I drink so much I can't remember half the weekends in the last few months. I've quit in the past usually for around 2-3 weeks at a time, but fall back into the bottle. So here's what happened that brought me here. The place I work at closes down for a week for the Christmas holiday. I took a week's vacation and had two weeks off. I drank everyday for the two week's and was so drunk that I couldn't go to my relatives house on Christmas eve. Christmas day was wretched. I had the dry heaves, the shakes, tremors, the hot/cold flashes and terrible insomnia. I decided to stop drinking on Christmas. The withdrawal lasted about two days. By Monday after Christmas I was feeling ok and it was great to be sober on New Year's eve and not hungover on New Year's day. Everything was going good until last week. I stopped at the Liquor store on Monday and got a Pint of bourbon. I drank half on Monday and the other half on Tuesday. Wed I stopped and got two pints. I drank a whole pint. Thursday I stopped and got a 750 ml bottle of vodka and bourbon. Drank them both between Thursday night and Friday. Sat went back to store got more. Drank all night Saturday, all day Sunday, and Monday, I was off on Monday for the MLK holiday. Today I woke up feeling like Hell again just like Christmas. I had to call in sick to work. That's the first time I've ever missed work due to drinking. I've finally decided to go to AA and not try to do it alone. The withdrawal is actually not that bad today as it was on Christmas. I'm going to the Doctor to get checked out. I'm so tired of drinking and feeling bad. I spend way to much $ on booze. I have got to stay sober this time. Sorry to ramble on but it feels good to get this off my chest, I've never told people these things before. It feels good to get them out in the open.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome..I'm fairly new myself.
You are not alone.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

Know that you're not alone. Your story sounds very similar to mine. You seem to have a good plan already started. Make sure when you speak with your doctor that you don't leave anything out. They have heard it all before and you have to be honest. I know its embarrassing/humiliating, but thats what they are there for.

Its much easier when you have support. Sending all my best wishes your way!
  # 4 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Welcome to SR

I belong to AA and it's a wonderful program and fellowship.

I do have good news for you. You never have to drink again, if you don't want to. It doesn't mean you won't have to make some sacrifices and changes to your life, but...you never have to drink again, if you don't want to.
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi, Stayinfree and wanttobesober, i get your drift ohhhhh so well, christmas and new
year, was to me like 2 solid weeks of sundays!! to me is the day of the dead, when if
ever there was a day you give into, sunday is that day!!! the day when 24 hours
becomes 48, an like who stopped the clock to bring on monday when we can
all busy ourselves once again, i too need to get off ones chest, thanks and
good day to all, and may the sun shine and ban all sundays, Hehe.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....it's time for a better healthy future.....
Congratulations on making positive plans.

thanks for joining with us...we do understand and many
of us are winning over alcohol.

Welcome to our recovery community

:
Old 01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Your post reminded me of how I got a few back while living on my own the first time. Your post is a classic example of the merry-go-round I was on. Seriously, re-read it. Round and round, and round... then on Sunday, round and round some more.

I thought at the time that was just my lot. That I could be worse. I had no idea that I could be even half the woman I feel like today. Far from a perfect life. But, a really good life. An honest life. I'm proud of who I am today. Nothing's much left of that poor pitiful thing I was. I hope you find comfort in the rooms. You will if you want to ya know.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The amount you're drinking sounds a lot like how much I was drinking...quitting might be the most difficult thing I've ever done, and the first couple of months all I thought about was alcohol, but now I'm at 4 months and I rarely think about it. Words can never express how happy I am now...my liver is healthy, I'm not "that girl" coming into work late constantly or calling out because I'm hungover, and I never wake up in fear of what I did the night before. Congrats on your decision and I hope you stick to it!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Reading your words I couldn't help but wonder if I wrote them myself a couple of months ago. It's a crappy place to be for sure. You are doing the right thing by going to your doctor and joining AA. Do yourself a favor and take a look around and find the guys who really seem to "get it". See if you can find a sponsor out of one of those people, it will help you much in your journey. I found that having a sponsor to use as a sounding board and talk to every night really helped me tons.

It sounds like you really want to make this work, and for that I applaud you. It's a tough change to make, you just have to realize that there are tons more of us out there to lean on and help you through. Best of luck on your journey~GeeQ
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Wanttobesober

D
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
part time member

When I started drinking 750 ml of vodka a night I knew I needed help and joined here. You have made the first step...welcome.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

YES enough me me poor poor me another drink!!! i get the drift,funnily enough everything
is and does go round and round! even when you opt to stop, you begin a new cycle of
behaviour that usually is a pattern you repeat most days!!! a healthy one though!! good
for you guys finding your feet!! not religious, dont go to AA meets, do though have a
lot of hobbies interests!! fillin in time as theres a whole lot more of it once you stop is
the key!!! Talk is cheap
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drank more than half 1.75 L a night sometimes. It sucks, please get help, it worked for me!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rockstar

to SR
Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi and welcome. I am glad you are going to go to AA. You don't have to do this alone.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm with you. My drinking got very bad, very quickly.

Those first 30 days were rough for me and the only reason I stayed sober was because the old timers told me that if I drank, I'd have to start on day 1 again and go through the pain again.

The other reason I didn't drink was because I went to a meeting every day. I just couldn't do it by myself and needed as much help as I could get.

My butt was whipped by alcoholism and man, that surprised the heck out of me.

Now 7 months later it's still 1 day at a time and the cravings are much less. Now if I see a drink I usually feel a craving, but that's better than it was before. I still have to be careful about where I go and hang out.

No sitting in a bar just shooting the sh*t and no popping into a liquor store even to just buy a soda (I had this argument with myself just the other morning).

I am very thankful that I am still afraid of taking that first drink and hope I hang on to that for good. But that's all about prayer since I am powerless. :-)
Old 01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Gritgirl and welcome.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanks intention. i'm so glad i found this place.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

gritgirl...
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Good to see you here with us...