Notices

Detox @ Home?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spiritual Seeker View Post
Your name reveals a lot " MeAndOnlyMe "

I can see how one would think that. I actually chose it as I'm at a point where I need to do something for me instead of always doing things exclusively for my family, work, etc. and leaving myself whatever bits of energy or emotion are left over.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've detoxed at home many times, shakes sweats hallucinations etc...the scariest time was when I had this bloated ( I mean BLOATED ) stomach and it wouldnt go away...and it felt like the top of my stomach was being slowly sawed open and it WOULD NOT GO AWAY...so I knew it was bad. So my wife called the Ambulance and that was the 'first' time I had a Pancreatitus attack...it sucked.

Ive detoxed many times and I got Pancreatitus again after that last one too...

but this time after two days of home detox I went to the doctor and was real honest with her and she gave me super vitamin B 12 supplements and Thiamine...lemme tell ya...it helped alot for me...what a difference and I was so glad I went, it sped things up real fast.

Last edited by whatevername; 01-03-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Suffered serious effects? I have and I never want to do it again.

If there is any chance you will have withdrawal symptoms, go to a doctor or hospital. Why risk it? If you don't seize, hallucinate, or panic, you may still run the risk of drinking to alleviate your discomfort.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I can tell you what it is like from my position as the "spectator" at my abf's many home detox efforts.
Terrifying, nerve wracking, gut churning, mind blowing, heart wrenching, exhausting and bloody horrible are just some of the words that still do not adequately describe it.

Watching someone I love, spend days spewing his heart out, using a jug to pee in because his legs won't work, sweat pouring from his whole body, arms and legs either flying all over the place or cramping so badly he cries out from the pain..... is utter HELL.

When that funtime is over, comes the sight of an emaciated and very smelly man slowly walking to have a shower, where I have to wash him because he is too weak to do it himself. He seems to have aged 20 years in a couple of days, and so have I.

I change the bed linen for the umpteenth time and start on the mountain of stinky sheets to be washed. I spend the next 24 hours helping him eat again, take vitamins and drink fluids, and he wants me with him every minute as if I am all that stands between him and something he's afraid of.

I haven't slept for nearly 4 days, feel totally exhausted and my brain is addled, but I keep going somehow.
Finally it is over, and he falls asleep and for the next 24 hours he does little else.

Then comes the silent stage where I may as well be on another planet, because he doesn't speak to me other than to get him coffee or something to eat. At least now I can hit my bed and sleep at long last.

The last stage is the nitpicky one, where nothing I do, say or wear is right. I begin to feel as if I am responsible for mankind's errors, global warming and the swine flu.
This is when I explode and head off home before I murder him.

After years of this repeated nightmare, I end up with stress angina and finally a heart attack.
Now I have kept my word and last time he drank (for 1 day), I stayed away from him and when he rang me for help with his home-alone detox I called an ambulance. Lucky I did as he had 7 angina attacks whilst in the ambulance and at the hospital.

Home detox is no fun for the person going thru it, and it can be and has proved fatal many times in the past. It is also no barrel load of laughs for the carer either, and I often wonder how many of them have health problems from being involved.

I wish all those going thru detox a safe time and a healthy sober new life.

God bless