Notices

Alcohol-ISM.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol-ISM.

The name of the illness is Alcohol-ISM, the alcohol is but a symptom, to which as Dr.Silkworth said in ,'The Doctors Opinion' p.xxv 'Alcoholics Anonymous' 4th Ed. I have a physical allergy, in simple terms this simply means that I do not digest alcohol in quite the same manner as other people (1oz per hour) consequently the build up of acetone attempting to procees the carbohydrates (alcohol) sends signals to my brain so that I crave more of the same with the usual disastrous aftermath.

If you are a,'real alcoholic' like the undeniable factor mentally is that if I imbibe alcohol, no matter what the circumstances, happy or sad, money or no money it doesn't matter, it instantly makes everything aarrrrllrrrrright! Which is why, if you're a,'real alcoholic' clinics andtreatment centres don't work.

So how do I deal with the -ISMS and what are they, in life, everyday affecting everybody else there are thousands of little arrows floating about, some hit you, some hit me some hit people on the far side of the world when I'm asleep, what I must learn is that, THEY ARE NOT ALL AIMED AT ME! The best way, for me to deal with this unseen phenomena is for me to learn, accept and practice the 12 Steps of Recovery, suggested in the,'Big Book' previously referred to as,'Alcoholic Anonymous' a book which to me, who over the years has read many, many books has , especially in the first 164 pages never lied to, me although parts of it might need a expanded explanation, I've fround help with this can be found on this site in the various Forums. I add to this by trying to make spiritual progress on a daily basis, in my case I've found that adhering to my Christian beliefs and Buddhist principles (not much difference there) of great benefit, but each to his/her own. I'm sure that many people wiser, sober much more than I will have their own views and opinions on what I have written, I would like to hear those views especially if they are of a CONSTRUCTIVE nature. Mike W.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you pretty much said it there Mike. Good post and I'm off to bed.

Good night, kiddies!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My friend you are a very deep person.

I suppose that yes alcohol is a symptom, in the way of an illness. It's also a form of escape, the same as drugs are a symptom.

But, if Alcoholism is an illness why is it so hard to cease using the alcohol? why are there no tablets like antibiotics that you can take to get rid of it? Antabuse doesn't count because it doesn't take it away it just makes you sick if you drink.

If you are a smoker does that not make your addiction to them an illness too?

There are so many theories out there, about what is and what isn't that you could turn yourself inside out trying to find an answer.

I personally don't want a label, I don't need to understand any definitions although I usually have to read up on everything I come across (thankyou google)

All I know is that I have a problem with alcohol which I don't want or need and I am the only one in the end (with a little help) that can resolve this issue.

I think the only way really to avoid any arrows is to be come a hermit, or deal with each problem as it comes. I would imagine that is why AA have sponsors. If you have an addictive personality I don't think it can be avoided, I think you try it coz you can and then you have to find your personal bottom and crawl you way out to the next addiction, or as my Mum calls it- obsession.

by the way the *you* in this is plural, not you personally. I hope this is something like what you wanted, as I said you are DEEEEP. I don't think my brain works that well at 6.30 in the morning, I don't think it's working too well now but I try.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, everyone gets hit by an arrow or two, or three... , scary and uncomfortable.

Whatever it is, this alcoholism, we found our comfort and courage in bottles... Now we find comfort and courage in our spirituality and the 12 steps points the way.

Simple.

Mark
Old 12-31-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with greebobeebo...there are so many "theories" about alcoholism that it is easy to overlook the reality. While I do believe that my drinking in excess did have some underlying issues in the end its beginnings were simply that I loved the way alcohol made me feel. Bottom line remains regardless of which "theory" one subscribes to the ultimate goal is freedom. Freedom to live life as it was intended unfettered by alcohol.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No problem we may all have our own views, my thread was however not based on theory but fact, but whatever works for you, great.M.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by 43395 View Post

...if you're a,'real alcoholic' clinics and treatment centers don't work.
Some people have alcohol-issues and treatment centers do work for them. Their problem centers in the substance.

Some people have alcohol-ism and need a whole new way of life. Their problem centers in the mind.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Welcome back Mike.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by 43395
...if you're a,'real alcoholic' clinics and treatment centers don't work.

Originally Posted by Boleo
Some people have alcohol-issues and treatment centers do work for them. Their problem centers in the substance.

Some people have alcohol-ism and need a whole new way of life. Their problem centers in the mind.
That's something what I believe...that alcoholism is a brain disorder/disease (take you pick) such as I use addiction treatments that focus on a cognitive and behavioral approach. I'm not sure about all the different causes of alcoholism other than there seems to be different treatments that work for each one. To each their own.