Notices

Over the hill alcoholics.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
mergirl

One tv in the house, belonging to mom and dad with stuff like the news and tennis on, no interest for me (except really early saturday morning cartoons!!).

I was free to roam the streets on my bike as early as 7 or 8 (a 7 year old girl, riding her bike alone in los angeles), my dog went everywhere with me off leash. I knew all of my neighbors.

pinkcuda, a couple of years ago my family was camping at a lake here in cali to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday. My then 20 year old son climbed a tree, because she said she wanted the biggest pine cone he could find for her present. A park marshal came along, told him to get out of the tree, and when he didn't hear her, she drew her gun.

aiming to shoot a boy for climbing a tree. . .I'd trade it all in as well.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

This is great...............
It was I who became my's parent's first ever TV remote control- used to drive me nuts! They never could make up their minds, with ALL the channels we had on CABLE back then- TWELVE!!!
Had a Zenith Black & White TV when I was a kid- thing lasted for over 15 years! The only part of it that wore out was the channel changer dial, but that was no problem- you could ALWAYS use needle-nosed pliers!
How TV would shut off at 11 o'clock with the playing of the National Anthem with the flag flying, followed by the test screen with the indian on it...........
I just thought I was SO FREAKING COOL when I got a transister radio! and they had those cheap, hearing-aid looking things for the "earphone"? And the black leather case ?
HATED eight-tracks. (!) They would ALWAYS fade out in the middle of your favorite song, so it could resume on the next track. (!) and, after a while, you would have to fold a matchbook cover, stick it under the eight-track while it was playing so the thing would'nt drag and/or be eaten by the player. (!)
Those old cigarette vending machines that had a picture of the brand under a glass button so you could see which one to select?
45 records for 79 cents? Albums for $2.99?
I remember the beer can pop-top rings. I used to know someone who made a CURTAIN out of the things- talk about redneck chic! " baby eights?" Got tired of those .....................
Silly Putty? X-ray specs? Little green Army men? GI Joe? 12 cent comic books? Comic book trading day with your friends? Monster Magent? Slinkys? Console TV/Stereos? Microwaves that weighed around 60 pounds? Metal ice trays with the little lever on top to break the cubes apart? Jello pans?
You got me started, so DON't blame me.....................:chatter
Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

It just came to me and I think I'm pretty sure that Peggy Lipton's character name on the Mod Squad was Julie...

More nostalgia- went to Catholic school, 1st grade in 1960. The Baltimore Catechism brought lots of fear into our young minds. The Mass was in Latin. 3 hours minimum fasting before receiving Communion. Really believed that the priest's host turned into Christ's skin and the wine turned into blood. Became an altarboy when everything was still in Latin. Even went to a Catholic high school but by then I had started losing my religion. I think that being raised a Catholic had something to do with my drinking and drugging so early in life... :-)
Old 11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I wish I had a dollar for every hot dog I blew up in the microwave. :bounce
Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanyapmc View Post
I wish I had a dollar for every hot dog I blew up in the microwave. :bounce
I wish I had a dollar for every hot dog I threw up while drinking... :-)
Old 11-22-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnnyZ View Post
It just came to me and I think I'm pretty sure that Peggy Lipton's character name on the Mod Squad was Julie...

More nostalgia- went to Catholic school, 1st grade in 1960. The Baltimore Catechism brought lots of fear into our young minds. The Mass was in Latin. 3 hours minimum fasting before receiving Communion. Really believed that the priest's host turned into Christ's skin and the wine turned into blood. Became an altarboy when everything was still in Latin. Even went to a Catholic high school but by then I had started losing my religion. I think that being raised a Catholic had something to do with my drinking and drugging so early in life... :-)
HA Johnny
I started reading your post and started thinking (thats why he drank), but you addressed that at the end<G>. I was raised a catholic also.
You know, whenever you get 4 priests together there's always a fifth.
I went to school with 2 guys that both had preachers for a father. They both started smoking dope at a lot younger age than I did. Rebellion at work.
So does this mean that Ginger , and Mary Ann are still on the island?
Fred