Notices

Over the hill alcoholics.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

I'm probably a little young for this thread... but it was bluer than the rest, and, well... it was bluer.

But as I started to read it, I couldn't help but laugh. I guess poverty is a time warp equalizer? I remember the first microwave I saw... in 1989. We promptly used a cookie sheet to make frozen fries...

Color TV came late to me too, as did VCRs--which were the most amazing thing I had ever heard of.

So yeah, I do remember most of the things on this list. Except the TV shows, of course. I used to watch Married with Children in black and white...

What I actually miss the most is JiffyPop, on the stove. That was just fun. Whatever happened to that?

And Chris in Austin, your post made me laugh, which actually was the reason I braved this thread... to tell you that.

Conflicted. Yeah, I'm a Luddite with a laptop... although my cell phone doesn't even take pictures, in my defense. The laptop does though...
Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Those colour tvs were amazing...........I Remember looking at it as if it was an alien landing....huge wooden cabinet with sliding door over the small screen.

i guess you guys(u.s) had them way before us.........when we got ours we were the first in the street and i can remember the endless flow of neighbours coming round to watch princess anne and marl philips get married...
(i think)..that would be 1973.......took ten minutes to warm up so when you got back from school you had time raid the fridge and get a drink before it came on..lol
Old 11-20-2009, 05:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

dallas and knots landing were the highlight of my mums week.
she would pour a large port and lemon and god forbid if you made a noise.
i remember trying that port and lemon...........yuk..........gross..............lo l
Old 11-20-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
Beercans still have pull tabs here.
Used to have trashcans full of them.
How do they open in the US of A then ?
They were more like pulling aluminum foil thats been glued on of the top of the can. I'm sure there is a better way to explain it, but I haven't had any coffee yet.

anyone else want to help me out here??
Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ah yes the good old days

Used to build tree forts out of any available junk and spend hours building "traps" and secret hiding holes so the other kids couldn't use them.

Spent all winter building plastic models and then blowing them up with firecrackers come Dominion Day.

Great fun. I still have the scars.

Ron
Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Room 222... I have an idea of the others, but I'd have to google them... ie I know the reference...

Campus Unrest? I lived in a university town and when I was 12 the campus riots were in full swing... The National Guard park it's crowd control vehicles in the HS ball fields across the street from where I lived....

Mark
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

im almost over the hill but I sure rmember a majority of everything shared on here .
And What Gilligan didnt get off that island yet .. ooh my im crushed!
Hows bout pop bottles with deposits.............. used to hit the streets pickin up bottles and if you were lucky enuff to find a wooden crate.. thatw as and extra 2$ i think ..
Dishwashers that rolled around in the kitchen and you hooked it up to the kitchen sink
Lp's.. used to sit for hours listening to my moms albums cuz I didnt have any ( glen cambel, johnny mathis , elvery brothers, just to name a few .
Having dinner on Sunday nite was a requirment .. no ifs and or buts you MUST be there .
granparents trying to teach us how to dance , saying one day this will come in handy when you meet the right person ) only to squeek away with embarasment ( Im still kickin self on that one )
First PC i seen .. the screen was black and white and just plain type set no pictures !
first cable box ... had a cord attached to it and buttons you pushed to select a channel ( my bro recently sent me a photo of one he seen in a 2nd hand store ) eek .. was funny ooooohhh the good old days ! ( love the thread )
Old 11-20-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Rockstar

I remember Pong lol a far cry from the Playstation3. From a (fairly) old gamer
Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hows bout pop bottles with deposits.............. used to hit the streets pickin up bottles and if you were lucky enuff to find a wooden crate.. thatw as and extra 2$ i think ..
lol....that was hard currency when i was a nipper........if i worked on site with my father all the other carpenters saved them for me as wages for dragging around lengths of timber.........those were huge paydays....enough for an enormous bag of sherbert frizbies.....oh the joy.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

"...although my cell phone doesn't even take pictures, in my defense. The laptop does though... "

I guess I am old-fashioned too.

Phones are for talking.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
Beercans still have pull tabs here.
Used to have trashcans full of them.
How do they open in the US of A then ?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
part time member

Here is a picture of the original "detachable" pull tab. I remember I didn't want to litter so we would stick it in the pop can and hopefully not swallow it. They used to be littered all over the ground.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Loves To Travel,

Yes they were all over and if you ever stepped on one barefoot (I did) you won't forget it! I had a big necklace too. My dad was an alkie who drank good ol' Pabst Blue Ribbon. Lots of pull tabs!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

I am soooooooooooo starting to feel old...I remember most of these.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

lol PBR ( pabst blue ribbon ) we used to call it 209 cuz we could get a 12 pac back then for 2.09 .. we would all check the sofa and collect them bottles and do what ever to get a 12er ...lol
used to be able to get a pac of smokes a bottle of pop and a candy bar and still get a few pennys back outta 2$ .. eek im feeling old here as well ...
Old 11-20-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Cubile75> "Kids on the HS rifle team carried their 22's to school on the bus!" LOL!! That's somethin.

Reg the pull tabs...4ever is right, and we still have pull tabs, Penny, but they don't pull off. You pull em back and then fold it down in the opposite direction, so the tab stays on top of the can. I hope I explained that right.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh gosh..sorry...I was on page one when I wrote this last post! Doh! It's been addressed!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I was in 3rd grade when President Kennedy was shot.

The Ed Sullivan show- always loved Topo Gigio, and Senor Wensink with his talking head in a box. Chinese kid acrobats with incredible flexability. Some guy spinning a bunch of plates balanced on sticks. The Beatles and the Stones.

Lassie, Gentle Ben, My Friend Flicka, Flipper, Wonderful World of Disney, the Andy Griffith show, the Lawrence Welk show, the Monkees, the Partridge Family, the Mod Squad, the Red Skelton show, the Carol Burnett show, the Lucy show, Laugh In, Hee Haw, the Smothers Brothers show, ABC's Wide World of Sports, all World Series games played in the afternoon, the original Little Rascals, Charlie Chan, Buck Rogers, Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, the Soupy Sales show, Superman, Batman, the Green Hornet, Abbott and Costello, Speed Racer, the Johnny Carson show, Walter Cronkite, Huntley & Brinkley, Dark Shadows, Wild Kingdom, and many more tv shows all in B&W...

Converted my first single-speed bike with pedal brake to monkey bars, banana seat and tall sissy bar. Bought first car in 1970 for $150- a 1964 Dodge 330 with push-button automatic transmission on the dash. Bought gas at 28/29 cents a gallon. Freaked when it hit 50 cents. Used to drive around town at 15 and a half years old with a quart of Miller beer, bought at one of the many Mom & Pop stores with fake ID, between my legs. Oh, and the beers- Miller, Schaeffer, Rheingold, Krueger, Ballantine Ale, Colt 45. Me and my high school drinking buddies going wild over this new, extremely potent beer called Maximus Super. Boone's Farm apple wine- many a puking session. Used to love getting really buzzed off a quart of Richard's Wild Irish Rose or Richard's Peach (both high-potency wines) along with a nice fat joint, especially after work. Speaking of Mom & Pop stores- my Dad would send me, as early as 7 years old, to the nearest store (only a block away) with 2 empty quarts of Miller and 50 cents and I'd bring back 2 full quarts, every night when he got home from work. My reward was a few cents worth of penny candy...

Was also a pinball addict and wizard. Nothing like keeping that silver ball in play forever while buzzed on alcohol and/or weed. Throw in a pill or 2 or 3- reds, rainbows, quaaludes, valiums, thorazine, or go the other way- black beauties, crossroads, acid, coke. Speaking of weed, a nickel bag (1/4 oz.) was $5; a dime bag (1/2 oz.) was $10; and, a whole oz. (four fingers wide) was $20. Primo weed like Jamaican or Columbian was only $25-30 an oz...

PF Flyers, Desert Boots, penny loafers, Chuck Taylor All-Stars.

Grew up in a city which meant playing baseball and football on asphalt. Basketball with bent rims and no nets. Only the rich kids got to play Little League and Pop Warner. Only the best player got a trophy. I spent many afternoons after school and many summer days all day at the Y...

I could go on and on, apparently! But, one last comment- I agree with an earlier poster, that I would gladly go back 40+ years technology-wise and live a much simpler life. There would be things that I'd miss like my iMac, but I wouldn't miss my cell phone and lots of other gadgets that I'm forced to have just to keep up. I can live with a B&W tv with 4 or 5 channels; a basic stereo with a record player; simple, easy to DIY-repair cars; no malls, just Main streets; and, to see kids playing tag or hide 'n seek or baseball in the streets until dark...

Great thread, thank you. And, sorry if I went on too long... :-)
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
part time member

ThirtyBubba....they still sell JiffyPop at the grocery store. I just saw it yesterday. And the question...Pete, Linc, and __________ has something to do with Mod Squad I can't remember the name but was played by Peggy Lipton? Other than that I only knew the room 222.

How about the nice card catalogs for looking stuff up at the library? Fun.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I was trying to think

Seems we still had to use a church key for several of the beers we drank back when, i started drinking