Notices

Anyone use Antabuse? I think I might need it..

Old 03-11-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Angry antabuse

i used antabuse and drank on it, i felt like my head was going to explode, my face was as red, as a baboons arse i went to bed it left a bad taste In my mouth, after i took each tablet but it is a good med for getting over the first month of abstinence. fter all look at the damage alcohol does to the mind body and soul:rotfxko
Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I use antabuse. Used it on and off for a few years, always stopping and relapsing after however many days I felt safe. I use it now, too, when I get a big craving but not everyday (too expensive, no insurance). I am no longer using it as my sole "tool" in this fight. But it's more of an extra safety precaution when I really don't completely trust myself to keep making the right decisions.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

disclaimer * I cut this from a post I made in another forum. forgive my lazy*

Antabuse worked miraculously for me.

I would be at work and have the usual after-crappy-interaction thought of "can't wait to get home and dive into my wine" thought, then the follow up "oh, took antabuse, can't" thought, and that would be it - I guess my brain agreed that it wasn't an option and didn't spend any more time fizzing about it.

There was adjustment of course. Going out to dinner and being perplexed about what to do when the waiter first stopped by for the drink order. Getting home and not pouring a glass before I even took off shoes or coat - that'll give you a good case of the something's missings. What to do on Sunday. But those were habits, not cravings.

Once that ended I quit taking the antabuse, but I keep it around just in case and plan to always.

I think I'm really lucky the way it worked out, I never expected it to be so easy, but it was. I now take a high-octane sleeping pill to take the night terrors out of the equation and I think that sleeping well gives me the emotional resources to deal with most things in an acceptable way.

That's my experience.