Notices

Anyone use Antabuse? I think I might need it..

Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone use Antabuse? I think I might need it..

I'm tired of drinking.. I can quit for a couple weeks.. but then start right back up..
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImReadyToQuit View Post
I'm tired of drinking.. I can quit for a couple weeks.. but then start right back up..
A good way to help insure long term sobriety is to use a support group. For example, AA.

I balked for a long time at using AA but I am so very thankful I did.

Also, talk to your doctor about Campral. This is medicine that, when used with a support group, can help you maintain your sobriety in the first few months.

You can also talk to them about antabuse, but Campral acts differently, it helps suppress cravings. And, they claim that if you are on it for some amount of time it can reduce the amount that you drink if you do have a slip one day.

I tried counseling, campral, and lots of other things. I wasn't able to quit until I joined AA. I have been off of alcohol for seven months now! It is great.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It would be great if there was a magic pill. Everyone here says it's abstaining and AA, and I tend to agree with them.

Good luck xxoxo
Old 11-11-2009, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....
too used Antabuse in early sobriety.
I did drink whith it.... became so violently ill
I quit the Antabuse.....

The catalyst for my reaction was a single split of
champagne ..18 hours after the lowest dosage.

Be sure and check out the afterlife of Antabuse
I kinda remember it stays in your system 4 or 5 days
after the last pill. Also...you do need to have your
doctor monitor liver enzymes if you take the med.

You must be also very aware of foods and
products containing any type of alcohol.
Depending on a persons senstivity....an unknown factor
you can also get quite ill that way too.

I also had to see my doctor monthly for blood test
to make sure my liver was not failing.

Antabuse does nothing for cravings.

hope you can quit drinking...recovery rocks!

Last edited by CarolD; 11-11-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClosetExtrovert View Post
It would be great if there was a magic pill. Everyone here says it's abstaining and AA, and I tend to agree with them.

Good luck xxoxo
Many of us wish we could take a little pill that would allow us to drink like normal people. Such is life.

Abstinence is the best bet. If I tried to drink one night per week I would drink seven nights per week.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Then again, if we weren't alcoholic, we probably wouldn't miss alcohol so much! In other words, we wouldn't wish we could take a magic pill that made us like everyone else.

Normal people can go without alcohol for seven months and never think about it or wish they could drink. I, on the other hand think of it daily. But, that is because I am a drunk!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

No experience here.. if I wanted long term success I had to learn how to use my own internal 'tools' to guide me and not rely on yet another chemical. I also didn't achieve that through AA, so no.. not 'everyone' here is using AA. I do know however that there's a few people around here who used antabuse as a supplement to the program or treatment they were involved with, they'll probably be around soon to give you some of their experience
Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I took antabuse. If you drink on it, you will only try it once. I did and thought I was going to die. It's hard on your liver. I had to take it to stay out of jail. I don't recommend it. Maybe if you are young Iduno.

I also had problems at about 2 weeks. I don't know how many times I made it to about that mark and had (break the glass) cravings. It always snuck up out of nowhere. The last time I was prepared and did as little as possible around that time. I avoided stress and hard work as much as possible. For me after that 2 week craving things always got a lot easier.
Also as others have said, outside help will also make things easier. But I'll say it again. I would stay away from antabuse
Fred
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

noe. didn't try it.
totally destroying my life and reputation was what did it for me.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep i took it, stopped me drinking whilst i was on it as i was afraid of the side effects...i didn't work a program of recovery whilst not drinking for those five months...there are people in the rooms it has helped and people it hasn't...as much as there are people that like syeak and people that don't...totally your decision but remember if you dont work a program of recovery you are just going to be postponing the inevitable, might help short term though:-) Good luck!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I also had problems at about 2 weeks. I don't know how many times I made it to about that mark and had (break the glass) cravings. It always snuck up out of nowhere. The last time I was prepared and did as little as possible around that time. I avoided stress and hard work as much as possible. For me after that 2 week craving things always got a lot easier.
Fred
NeverTL--Funny, I have had the same experience at about the 2 week mark. I would get cranky, irritable, anxious, etc. Nice to know I'm not the only one it happened to.
RE: Antabuse. Heard some stories, good & bad, but no personal experience.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been on it since Dec 08, 250 mg per day.

Every morning, I take the capsule without fail. I`ve never tried drinking on it, and I`ve never had a reaction from aftershave, sauce, or vinegar.

Perhaps it`s just me but I do find it helps me to guarantee abstinence for an extended period of time and allows me to change my behaviour and get used to a sober lifestyle. My plan is to remain on it, under doctor supervision, for a minimum of 2 years.

I`ve also heard many bad stories about this med, and I think that for many people it would not be appropriate. You doctor would be able to give you the best advice.

Keep well

Ron
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Naltrexone

Have you considered Naltrexone? It can reduce your cravings and maybe get you through your two week hurdle. It should be used with other support like counsler, AA or whatever works for you. PM me if you would like to hear about my personel experiance with it.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was on antabuse early on in sobriety and it REALLY helped me get through those first few months, because once I'd taken it I knew that drinking was simply not an option for me that day. I celebrated 6 months yesterday and haven't taken antabuse for months, but I am glad it was there for me when I needed it.

I see it as one more tool that can help with sobriety, and I believe that people should utilize whatever tools may help them stay sober. What works for some will not work for others, but in the end, you find the path that works for you and if it keeps you away from that first drink, that's all that matters.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm on it now. The only times I drank while on it was when my planning began days before the drink (whether conscious or not). It kept me honest since even 72 hours after my last pill, I flushed red all over my face, shoulders, and chest. There's no denying that I drank.

Took a pill last night before bed, and it makes me reasonably sure I won't drink today.

I'm also in outpatient treatment, AA, sponsor, therapy, etc etc.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

HercTRock....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Thanks for sharing your experience

All my best as you move forward...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was prescribed it, used it like I was supposed and then got a wild hair and drank. I suffered no ill affects whatsoever from the combination.

No magic pill ( for me anyway ), but it has helped many on their path to recovery.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caleb76 View Post
You can also talk to them about antabuse, but Campral acts differently, it helps suppress cravings.
Yes, Campral is different from Antabuse. Camral affects the brain, reducing the craving (in about one half of patients, they say). Antabuse prevents regular metabolization of alcohol in the system, worsening the hangover symptoms (and the very unpleasant feeling makes the person stop drinking). So, yes, Campral may be useful when one wants to abstain...
Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, at last here it is, about Campral and Antabuse:

Campral vs Antabuse. What is the difference? Quick Reference on Effects of Campral and Antabuse Drugs.(

I hope, it may be useful.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AKDave View Post
Have you considered Naltrexone? It can reduce your cravings and maybe get you through your two week hurdle.
Yes, I am on this (AKA Revia) and I love it, so far. I would recommend it. Antibuse seems very scary to me.