Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

and that's another odd thing about me ... I don't even like the taste of alcohol

Notices

and that's another odd thing about me ... I don't even like the taste of alcohol

Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My standard joke to the local bartenders is, "give me my usual"

through the years they learned there's no such thing

Someone once asked me why I changed up so much, after some thought I realized I didn't particular care for the taste of any alcoholic beverage.

I can tolerate a cold beer, but it's unlikely that I could "get the job done" due to becoming full ... otherwise none seem appealing from a taste stand point.

Guess it's just a readily available, legal, form of escape
Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I don't really think that's so unusual. Few people who drink to get drunk (call them alcoholics if you want to) really care what the stuff tastes like. That's why we often end up buying the cheep hooch to get hammered on.

Most people who "like the taste" of a particular alcoholic beverage, like to sip and savor it, not drink as much as possible to get drunk. It seems insane to us that wine and beer conosueres (spelling never my strong point!!) actually spit out the beverage after tasting it in order to not get drunk!!

Hope you're still hanging in there. Take care
Old 11-08-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

I know that's why towards the end of my drinking career, I was plugging my nose and slamming whatever was strong and quick to get me f'd up. Horrible way to live, I promise. Once I started dealing with some of the things I was trying to escape from, and also once I realized that most things aren't meant to be escaped, and found new skills to handle them..my life got so much better.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never liked the taste either, but after the first few gulps, it certainly became more tolerable. I liked the effect too much to let the taste dissuade me.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've never understood why people drank a beverage they didn't like.

I can smell a beer and my mouth waters!! I never liked the taste of hardly any other drink but, the smell and taste of beer I loved!!
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I used to say I loved beer, I really loved the alcohol it contained, I tried NA beer when I was still drinking, didn't care much for it, for obvious reasons.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wonder if that's why they call them shots, they taste like crap, so you have to just slam them in one glup, lol.

I remember the first time I drank a beer, the taste alone made me want to upchuck, lol. After drinking about 11 of them due to being challenged, I did just that, upchucked all over the yard, lol. Over time, the taste didn't matter, I drank for the effect.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hate the taste of alcohol, that's why I always took shots so I could just get it over with. At bars, I would only drink beer because I can't stand mixed drinks.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not convinced it had anything to do with taste for me either...for me it was all about changing my perception...in the begining to make me and the world seem wonderful....and in the end it's was for one thing...oblivion.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I know that's why towards the end of my drinking career, I was plugging my nose and slamming whatever was strong and quick to get me f'd up.
Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I never liked the taste either, but after the first few gulps, it certainly became more tolerable. I liked the effect too much to let the taste dissuade me.
Originally Posted by trucker View Post
I'm not convinced it had anything to do with taste for me either...for me it was all about changing my perception...in the begining to make me and the world seem wonderful....and in the end it's was for one thing...oblivion.
me too, guys.

Believe me pboy - a lot of us progressed to points where we'd drink anything. You don't want to go there.

D
Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well......
I did like the taste of certain drinks ...but......

by the end of my drinking.....
I had gone from connoisseur to common sewer.

From charming ophisticate to sobbing slob.

I'm so glad I got off the misery-go-round.

Last edited by CarolD; 11-08-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Corrected
Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Carol, I love your sense of humor, lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Straight liquor, burning tobacco -- they're kind of foul. It's not as much as I liked them for their great taste, it more like I came to love the taste as it was intrinsically tied to my fix.

It's like substance Stockholm Syndrome.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
me too, guys.

Believe me pboy - a lot of us progressed to points where we'd drink anything. You don't want to go there.

D
lol.........when i was begging for money for booze.......i didn't save it up so i could get my favorite brand.

i tried meths before i was 20......it wasnt for it bouquet......lol..lol.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Again, thats the same with me. I don't particularly care for the taste of alcohol but I'm developing a "taste" for gin and whiskey, and I find the taste of tequila absolutely revolting. It doesn't make much of a difference though, since when I obtain it I simply slam shots in order to get drunk.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think its very common, i drank to get drunk not to savour the taste. I would go round the drinks too, start with a lager, then a cider, then repeat, then shots, then wine...then bacardi...insanity! Always hated the taste of alcohol, lord only knows how i didn't get more into drugs, i used to wish they had made a pill to just get to where i wanted to go without the hassle of drinking for hours!

Oh yeah i just remembered, went through a long stage of drinking red and blue label thunderbirds under and around the pier in early twenties...now that's class;-)
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hmm, I really like the taste of beer and wine, especially interesting microbrews and good wine But I did start drinking cheap stuff that tasted like crap more and more...
Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Rockstar

The only thing I cannot stand is lager like Fosters or Carling. They taste like liquid aluminium. I love Jagermeister and have a 4ft inflatable bottle of it in my living room lol (not to mention place mats, toaster, etc. Im a consumer *****)
Old 11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Red face

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Well......
I did like the taste of certain drinks ...but......

by the end of my drinking.....
I had gone from connoisseur to common sewer.

From charming ophisticate to sobbing slob.

I'm so glad I got off the misery-go-round.

that's sad

but it's funny as hell what you wrote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
BDP
Rising Phenoix

great topic. I always wondered how many regular drinkers hated the taste of alcohol!

as for myself I think the majority of it tastes nasty. I really only like vodka b/c it mixes so well though some of the flavored stuff is ok, but again it's better when mixed. I never got into beer much. I can tolerate the taste of some but when drinking one I'm never thinking "damn this tastes good!"

thinking about it, I'm glad I rarely drink anymore