Notices

Generally positive

Old 10-28-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Generally positive

I quit drinking 161 days ago prior to the start of a new job. I was insanely worried that my drinking would get in the way of a successful performance so I kicked it to the curb. Things have gone pretty smoothly. I did not go through any serious withdrawals. I had some increased anxiety and a mild feeling of general unrest, but that was it. I have been able to stay sober without AA so far, and I think this is probably due to how busy I am with the job. Their really isn't time to drink, and my close friends know I'm not drinking so they don't call me if they are going to the bars.

Generally, I feel great. My mood is not always up, but it is certainly more under my control. I am less affected by the outside environment, and I can deal with stressors as they come along. I would also say that at times I do feel down, as I'm sure everyone does, but those times are ok because I know they are going to pass eventually. Overall this may be the best 161 days of my life since I started drinking 10 years ago at age 17. I feel like I'm in control of myself finally. I have a self-confidence now that had been inexplicably elusive over the last decade. And the best part is that as time goes by things have continued to improve. I am an infrequent poster, but I browse this site occasionally and it has given me plenty of think about since I put down the bottle. Good luck to the rest of the folks working on quitting, those staying sober, and everyone else. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am getting close to 200 days without alcohol. I love it. I could only 20 to 30 days by myself. I am very involved with local AA group. AA is awesome. If you tried AA you might be able to meet some nice people that want to hang out and not drink. This could help you not feel like you are missing out with your other friends.

Congrats on 161 days by yourself. I would be careful though. The best way to maintain long term sobriety is to use a good support group. That is why I am going to AA. I don't want to make it nine months and then screw it all up. Sobriety is maintained one day at a time and my support group helps me remember that. Plus now that I have gotten to know some of the members I actually look forward to and enjoy the meetings. You have a great start. You might as well try AA, it can only help. You are doing great on your own but you don't have to be alone in AA.

Again, congratulations!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Congratulations on the 161 days :day6
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

soberdude70 ......Glad to know you are doing well
Congratulations....
Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats awesome... your 4 days ahead of me... Hopefully it will stay that way for many years to come
Old 10-31-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congratulations!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Congrats on 161 days!!! I have made it 70 or so with minimal support but the more time goes by the more I realize it is really good to have ... just a thought.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats! Life IS good, isn't it?

Love,

Lenina