Notices

Day3 without a drink

Old 10-17-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day3 without a drink

Hi All,
this is my second post as a new member after joining a few days ago. I've just finished my 3 days work shift and now supposedly look forward to 3 days off (I do long hour shift work..3on/3off).
Today is where it usually begins for me...my drinking binge that is- since its my 1st day off.
I found myself waking up this morning and reaching for my laptop to visit this site. I've been looking at posts by others hoping to find the courage to get through today.It has helped to some degree but I know today could go either way.

I'm toying with the idea of trying AA today. I know i'm at a chapter in my alcoholism where i really need to get help and support but denial keeps creeping back.....its driving me crazy...constantly having two different voices in my head. One telling me to stop and get help, the other telling me it'll be alright..you ain't really that bad.

However on a positive note....i will try to make it at least through today sober......in fact gonna put the kettle on now.....not sure about AA today though afterall

Anyway thanks for listening people, just writing this helps me a bit.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are here with us....

While you are enjoying your cuppa
please click on the line below

Alcoholics Anonymous UK Newcomers

hope your day is sober...pleasant and productive
That's my goal.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey welcome and congratulations on your 3 days sober. Many of us have found AA to be helpful in our recoveries... If you are feeling shaky you could at least give it a shot. Its helpful to know your not alone in this. Its great that you have found this site there is a lot of support here... Let us know how you're doing and best wishes...
Old 10-17-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can also check out the Chat Room or even one of the Chat meetings if you don't feel quite up to attending an in-person meeting just yet (and are up late enough tonight in your timezone ). There's usually a few folks on there with some good advice or even just sympathetic viewpoints:

Sober Recovery Chat Meetings
Old 10-17-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Robbie
Let's see. You are going to TRY to get through today sober, but a voice is saying you aren't that bad. Hmmm sounds like me.
That voice is alcohol talking to you (Rotten SOB). Smack him upside the head and put him in his place. Stay sober today and tomorrow morning you really will be thanking yourself.
If your thinking about going to an AA meeting you really should go. Everyone in there had to walk through the door for the "first time". They all know what it's like. I like the saying (take what you need and leave the rest). If you go I'll bet you will find something to help keep you sober today, and thats what it's all about. It's a fine line whether we drink or not, and if you get anything to get you through a day sober, then you win.
Fred
Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

As you are starting to face daily life without alcohol, please keep it simple.

The Just For Today motto could help you to continue making good decisions.
Just for today, i will be kind and loving to myself.
Just for today, i will not drink/drug to mask my feelings.
Just for today, i will not let my thinking dictate my actions.

For many of us, no matter the amount of clean time, the basics are always important. Your in good company! If you do get to that A.A. meeting, ask them for a book called 'Living Sober'. Make sure to introduce yourself and get as many phone numbers as you can. Remember to call these people before you pick up that first drink! Keep coming back and best wishes for a healthy & productive recovery!!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

alright rob welcome to Sr.

AA and the twelve steps opened a door onto a way of life that gave me the ability to live life without the need to take a drink...

And to be completely content not drinking..

Please feel free to pm me if i can be of any help mate.

I'm in the uk.....an alcoholic.......and with a terrible shift pattern like you..lol
Old 10-17-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Robbie! I quit 2 wks ago and I must say I'm still having some physical affects from the 7 yrs of drinking everyday. My body is missing it,but I'm not! I have zero cravings to drink. Maybe it's because I'm still not feeling well and the scars its leaving on me are gonna be a daily reminder why I'm not picking up a drink again. Never going thru this again, I can't take it!

Plz don't drink again. We are here for you bro!

Stay in touch and welcome to the October Sobriety Group

Ron
Old 10-18-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Been to AA

Hey people,
Firstly, I would really like to thank everyone who replied to my "3 days without a Drink" thread. I really appreciate your genuine concern and encouragement.

Well you'll be happy to know I finally got the courage to go to AA for the 1st time in 8 years. Infact am goin again tonight.

I'm really glad i'm a part of SR. If it weren't the some of the people here, i might not have taken that step.

I know it early days and but i think its a start. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Robbie
Old 10-18-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. It is huge in my recovery.....it can be to yours, too.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SR is essential in my recovery too. Without it I have no doubt I would have not reached where i am now, 102 days sober.

Keep going to those AA meetings and really try to connect with the various shares and take the bits that you need to give you the strength to tell those demons to STFU!!

All the best, You will never regret not drinking...
Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats Robbie on Day 3. Am at Day 2 so anyone who is a day ahead . . . . has my admiration. I keep reminding myself that there are so many success stories out there on people who quit drinking; there's no earthly reason why I can't be one of those too. But like all things, it takes time? Well, I'm telling myself that as I do the mind-game bit today. Best, glad you found an AA meeting. There are none close to where I am and my husband would think I'm nuts anyway...so its SR for me. Will be here a lot I suspect.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hello robbie and welcome to sr,im sorry i missed your post at first! im in scotland but from england origionally! i am so glad you listened to sound advice and took the step and got yourself to AA.it has given me a new life.i am a chronic alcoholic,and i too suffered from those "voices",they kept telling me it would be different this time and i wasnt that bad,and just maybe next time i could drink like everyone else! its called the mental obsession.but i went to AA,and truly surrendered,i was beat.the obsession left me.to keep it that way i got a sponsor and got on the 12 step recovery programme.i cannot put into words what this has done for me.my life has changed beyond recognition.keep posting at sr! i find it an invaluable tool in recovery.its nice to meet you robbie.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 3 done. Am going to lag you by a day which makes it easy to track your progress (and mine). Hope that we're both here for a long time, and if we get stuck so to speak, we can help each other out.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hows it going robbie? hope you are well? keep us posted!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi all,

yeah still sticking in there...1 week 2day.

Been going to meetings, but feel really distant from the group. Am finding it really hard to join and my head is always spinning. Someone there told me to keep coming Irrelavant of how my sobriety goes.

Still trying to get my head around it all i suppose.

Well, take care people.

speak soon.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

1 week is a good deal....
Well Done
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the week Robbie! I'm on Day 3 so I have some catching up to do.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

congratulations on a WEEK!

that's like seven days or something.

I hope you'll keep going with the meetings, I know they're few and far between over there, but I truly hope you'll keep seeking one where you feel comfortable.

and hang in there, butterfly!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank-you Barb! Day 4. -Keep on goin' Robbie!