Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Cravings-My thoughts and Tips

I think there are 2 types of cravings
perhaps a mixture?

One type is more a habit than physical.

You drive home and your car steers into your
favorite bar or package store.
You come home tired...sit in "your: chair and
want the usual comfort of a glass/can in hand.
To sleeep better...toss down a drink.

These can be avoided by changeing your routine

Drive a different route
Change the furniture around..sit in a different place.
Fix a glass of anything non alcoholic.

If you drink booze from a can...use a glass
If you did drink from a glass...use a mug

I did time my cravings in early sobriety.
Mine were 5 to 7 minutes in duration.
seemed forever...but that was false.

I took action....drank cold watter ...brushed my teeth
went for a walk...danced around the room...ate Lifesavers

I was also taking a multi vitamin and a B 12,
I walked daily. I attened AA each morning.
I was following an eating plan for hypoglycemia

Within 2 weeks they lessened immensley... in both
intensity and duration By 2 months they vanished
Have not returned in 20 years.

Anyone else care to share on how they are
dealing with craving? Please do.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Thank you for your tips, Carol!

Your list of tips helped me last year when I got sober.

I still keep something non-alcoholic close at hand.

I still take walks, it helps clear my head.

I still take a multi-vitamin and B12, it gets me through one more day.

Changing my routines was one of the best tips for me in early sobriety. I had to reschedule my late afternoons to avoid cocktail time. Trips to the library, trips to the book store, shopping (I hate shopping), any place other than where alcohol was being served!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

*Warning* this is NOT a critique of the 12 steps

The only time I ever felt powerless over booze and drugs is when I was actively using. Not only did I feel powerless over my ability to abstain from using, I also felt physically and mentally weak. This meant that so many things in my life were neglected.

So when I get cravings I make a conscious effort to remind myself of the powerless state a relapse will bring me to and then make an effort to do something that will increase my power. For me, that is a huge part of my recovery.

Addiction had a negative impact on my body, both directly and indirectly. So when I craving comes on I go for a run, lift weights, take my beagle for a long walk or prepare a healthy meal.

Addiction had a negative impact on my mind. So I'll sometimes deal with a craving by picking up a book or working on my thesis.

Honestly, cravings aren't as frequent for me as they were during previous attempts at sobriety. I think this has to do with the fact that I was truly ready to get clean this time. I also think it has to do with how I'm approaching it. Not only are these strategies the way I deal with cravings, they're part of my daily routine. In that way they're preventative measures against cravings.

This is the longest period of sobriety I've had since the age of 14. So this is uncharted territory for me and I realize that I could get to a point where cravings could get a lot more intense and frequent. However, I'm thinking that if I stay strong and strive towards getting stronger, I'll have the tools to face them.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My cravings were certainly a mixture. Drinking lots of hot green tea ( I like mine with milk and sugar) seemed to help out when I felt like something besides just plain water. I also started exercising regularly and eating healthy foods.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One thing I would do I know this is bad but not as bad as drinking, eat LOADS I always had a full stomach drank loads of water and if I started craving I ate sweets or fruit which has sugars in also helped me loads and when I craved I went too someones house that I knew werent drinking and told them I was craving a drink and talked too them about it.

Its a bit rich coming from me seems as Im drinking now but that helped me stay off the poison for months.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My cravings did lessen after just a few days. Even though the cravings could become very intense, but as long my determination to find ways to counter my cravings, I wouldn't act on them. I found there are a host of effective ways to counter cravings, some already mentioned in this thread. By far the best action was for me to talk about my cravings with dear friend. I think it greatly helped to bring my concerns to light with my friend. It help me be more accountable for taking action.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good stuff! i think i will be following Carol's experience, 20 years sounds like it works, i would be insane not to really:-)
Old 10-13-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

For me triggers and cravings were a "Red Herring".

My relapses were more like Somnambulism than bad choices. I could not manage my sobriety in way, shape or form. It was not until I learned to stay spiritually fit that my Higher Power managed my sobriety for me.