Notices

Rehab

Old 10-13-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab

so i was mixing sleeping pills and booze and woke up blacked out one morning and wrecked my car twice (first car i had to leave a note because it was in a parking lot, second car was at work) so no legal troubles.

got suspended from work and went into a 20 week rehab program. i actually stopped drinking 15 days before they sent me to rehab, so i had about 28 days sober when i got out of inpatient. on the drive home from rehab i stopped off and a bottle of vodka.

then i started a 5 week, intensive outpatient with 3 group therapy sessons per week. then went to a once a week therapy thing for 12 weeks. lied the whole time and continued to drink on the weekends only because if i were to show up at work again with alcohol in me, i'll be fired. but from friday night to sunday morning i stay drunk.

so i guess maybe my rock bottom really wasn't my rock bottom.

i fought the counselors the whole time at rehab because of the AA/religion issues (i'm atheist). i've pretty much given up.

just ranting, thanks for reading.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR....

Here is a list of various recovery methods
for you to explore

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

We also hve another Forum for your consideration

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

And there are members here who are successfully sober
without a structured program.

I sure hope you can find your way into a prductive
healthy and joy filled future....

Last edited by CarolD; 10-13-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added Links
Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, do you want to stop drinking or have you just given up on the whole idea? Sounds like you've wasted a lot of time with the whole rehab thing, and I'm not clear as to why you went in the first place. Why bother with 17 weeks of outpatient while you're still drinking? I'd hazard a guess here that you really have no desire to stop drinking as you made no effort that I can see to achieve that goal. And as to the AA/religion/athiest issue, that's hogwash. There are a lot of athiests and agnostics in AA who seem to have no trouble reconciling their beliefs with the spirituality part of the program. So I suggest you step back and take some time to decide what you want here. If you decide that yes, you really want to recover from alcoholism/drug addiction, then let us know. We's all be happy to help you. and if you decide that you're not ready to quit yet, come back when you are. We'll leave the light on for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

When you are ready to quit fighting and ready to truly surrender, only then you will you be ready to do what it takes to stay sober.

Will it take you killing someone? Will it take you killing yourself? Will it take you just losing your job? Only you know the answer to this question.

But I really hope that you realize that you are worth sobriety and weekends are so long and productive when you are not drunk

We are all here for you when you are ready!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't do rehab but I did the IOP thing and that was BEFORE I discovered crack. I don't have a "formal" recovery program but I do have a little more than 2-1/2 years clean from crack and that's because I wanted it bad enough and got tired of all the consequences of using...legal, financial, career, etc.

We're here when you're ready!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joedris View Post
Well, do you want to stop drinking or have you just given up on the whole idea? Sounds like you've wasted a lot of time with the whole rehab thing, and I'm not clear as to why you went in the first place. Why bother with 17 weeks of outpatient while you're still drinking? I'd hazard a guess here that you really have no desire to stop drinking as you made no effort that I can see to achieve that goal. And as to the AA/religion/athiest issue, that's hogwash. There are a lot of athiests and agnostics in AA who seem to have no trouble reconciling their beliefs with the spirituality part of the program. So I suggest you step back and take some time to decide what you want here. If you decide that yes, you really want to recover from alcoholism/drug addiction, then let us know. We's all be happy to help you. and if you decide that you're not ready to quit yet, come back when you are. We'll leave the light on for you.
i had to go rehab in order to keep my job.

thanks for the insights though. at least i'm sober tonight.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's fantastic! When I got clean the first time, I didn't really WANT to be clean, but I didn't like jail, either. After I relapsed, I realized I was close to going to prison, had some clean time under my belt and decided to give recovery a try. I figured if I didn't like it, I could always go back to using. So far, recovery is way better than using!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-14-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I went to inpatient rehab twice, both times at the insistance of others. Both times I was using soon after getting out. I really think that rehab of any sort is pretty much useless if YOU do not really want to be there. It's not like going to the hospital, where they treat you for a disease and discharge you as "cured". You have to do all the work, all they can do is provide guidence.

There are rehabs and programs out there that do no use 12 step recovery as their basis. You may have to look a little harder to find them, but they are out there. I have the sam issues with 12 step recovery as you. While it is true that may athiests and agnostics are successful with 12 step recovery, many other's aren't. While it is true that AA/NA is a spiritual program, it does have many "religious" overtones. Some examples being frequent references to God and prayer. This in no way makes it a "bad" program, but it can make it uncomfortable for persons who have "issues" with religion in general. For that reason, many other programs have formed in recent years.

Many substance abuse theripists now use Cognative Behavioural therapy or other "science based" forms of therapy in their sessions. Programs such as SMART Recovery, Lifering, SOS, to name a few, have popped up. Due to their brief history, they have much more of an "online" presence than the face to face that 12 step programs offer.

All of this said, none of it matters unless YOU make a true comitment to stop drinking. Not just during the week to keep your job, but every day. That decision comes from inside you, nobody can make it for you. I've been kicking around these boards for years, arguing as to why I can't stay clean. The real reason I couldn't is I didn't want to. I finally made the choice to do it for me. Not my parents, not for my son, not for my wife (now ex), not for my job, but for ME! I dont' have a lot of time, about 5 months now, but it is the most time I've put together in over 20 years. I don't work a "formal" program, but I do reach out for help here, I see a theripist and psychitrist, read "recovery" materials, and really commit to not using. That's whats working for me. Am I cured? Nope. Do I still have urges? Yep. Is every day a cake walk? Not even close!! But, to use a 12 step phrase, I take it "one day at a time" and do the best I can.

I wish you all the best on your journey. You said you are sober today, that is something to build on. Take care.