Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Considering pursuing a career in addictions counseling

Notices

Considering pursuing a career in addictions counseling

Old 10-07-2009, 12:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Meo—

Each state (or at least I think each state) has its own certifying or a variety of certifying bodies that give out credentials to alcohol and drug counselors. The national agency is NAADAC. Right now I am in classes to be certified for CAADAC, the California one, which I think is one of the more rigorous ones in terms of requirements in the US and certainly in California. That being said it is only a year to two year (up to five if you go part time) program and the minimum requirement is only a high school diploma (no application process required— I am just mentioning this because you don't necessarily need to marry yourself to a Master's program which will probably not as fully focus on addiction studies). I have all sorts of students in my classes, all ages, all educational levels, nurses, graduate degree levels, high school degree only, all walks of life, in recovery and not— it is an awesome and fascinating mix of people. Classes for the certification vary by institution. I am a year sober, so newish too. I also have yet to actually work in any rehab or with patients so bear that in mind in reading this. I also am not a 12-stepper. There are a few things that we have talked about in classes that I think are important:

1. A counselor/therapist is not a sponsor. These are two separate things. They are two jobs and two functions and shouldn't be confused. It is a different skillset and set of boundaries that is required for each.

2. Counselors/helping professions attract codependent types therefore you need to really examine yourself and your own motivations. I don't think this necessarily means that if you are a codependent type person stay away from the profession, but you do need to do self-work, meaning go to therapy— rid yourself of your issues, have consultations, make sure you have good supervision and boundaries, etc..., and this applies to everyone, because burn out is extremely high in the profession

3. A person's success in treatment is somewhat on the counselor, however, there are limits. My teacher today told me a story about how his patient when he was a therapist in his 20s came to his office told him he was going to kill his girlfriend and then he went home and did it. What?!? Can you believe that? Crazy. But point is, that it wasn't his fault as a therapist that he couldn't stop that situation, it was his job to do all that he could, set the right boundaries, and in that one it was tricky b/c of confidentiality issues but he overrode those and told the gf, she ignored, he ended up being sued for breaching anyways b/c that state didn't have a tarasoff law, etc. Totally extreme example but I keep learning that a lot of the job is realizing where and when your job starts and ends. You can't save the world and you shouldn't feel responsible for that.

4. My program really emphasizes all forms of recovery. I would say there is a deemphasis on the twelve steps not in terms of importance but because it is not considered treatment but instead an adjunct mutual aid group.

5. That being said in my program, and if I were you I would look for this in a program, there is a lot (actually maybe not that much but this semester it seems like a lot) of science and pharmacology. This is where I see the addiction field going. If you go and read around NIDA or NIAAA or download some of Nina Volkow's powerpoints on the NIDA website about science and addiction you will see the neuroscience is pretty clear on the brain disease part of addiction. This research will just get more and more ample. The medications will get better and better and the gap between the researchers and the treatment providers hopefully will get smaller and smaller.

On a personal note, I always felt very lost in terms of what to do with my life, this finally fit. And I was really unsure for a while if it was just my next good idea. Even without working with patients, I really enjoy it. I always loved reading about recovery. I now love the science of it. I feel really strongly about addiction being misunderstood and misrepresented in most milieus. I feel that because of this the majority of people that have the disease continue to suffer. This pisses me off. I want to figure out how to change it. I could even see me working in a more policy type position if once I start working with patients I realize that in terms of self-care issues, it just isn't for me. I do think it is a good self-growth thing. I don't get triggered.

At 11 months I had these strong cravings. They came out of no where. Since I am not allied with a 12 step group, I was really happy that I was allied with a program for which I had to be sober the CAADAC courses. Even though I was pretty sure I was going to ride out those cravings it did give me an extra incentive and that is never a bad thing.

I am learning a lot about addiction and myself. I recommend at least taking a few classes (you could check at your local community college or state college and take an alcohol and drug class next semester) and seeing if it is for you and why not volunteer.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
9/15/08

@ Meo
I really think that overman (Übermensch)

Although I do appreciate Nietzsche, Overman is my surname.

David Overman.

@ sfgirl
2. Counselors/helping professions attract codependent types therefore you need to really examine yourself and your own motivations...but you do need to do self-work, meaning go to therapy— rid yourself of your issues, have consultations, make sure you have good supervision and boundaries, etc..., and this applies to everyone, because burn out is extremely high in the profession

Good point. I'm currently working with sexual and physical trauma survivors, as well as some returning vets from Iraq/Afghanistan. I hear some pretty gruesome stuff at times. Having a good supervisor helps tremendously. And practicing self-care is sooo crucial.

It's also recommended that anyone who wants to become a counselor/therapist should actually participate in therapy for at least a year...in order to learn more about themselves.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" ~ Socrates

Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

overman - that's an interesting coincidence.

I am in therapy right now. For the time being, my energies are being devoted to my own recovery and self-insight (well in addition to finishing my current degree and the other stuff I got going on). I imagine I'll be in therapy for the foreseeable future though. Both my therapist and my marriage counselor have mentioned that they still see their own therapists and that they would be suspect of any therapist that didn't see one on at least a limited basis.