Notices

Had to put my dog down.......

Old 09-05-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had to put my dog down.......

OMG this is the hardest thing in my life I have ever faced, the most pain I have ever felt. I am coming up on 1 yr of sobriety on the 14th, and I have never experienced anything like this sober. She was my best friend for 14 years. They did everything they could, we got to see her, and she was so excited to see me and my daughter and gave us kisses, she was excited to go home, but instead they laid her down and put the needle in her. That was Thursday, I can't stop thinking of the last moments. Do you know how much a shot of something would feel right now, to numb this all out???? I won't, but I want to!! if that makes any sense. I just want to know she is ok, I want a sign from her or something.

I guess this is what "normal" people have to do without drinking, cope and feel the pain.....................
Old 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh honey, I feel your pain! :ghug2

Right now my 21 year old daughter's dog is in renal failure. I think we're looking at a few days left with him before she has to make that decision.

I have also had to make that decision too many times. Please know my heart hurts for you, and I will keep you in my prayers. :ghug2
Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had to do this once. Be strong is all I can say...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm so sorry you are going through this. She is okay; no longer in any pain or suffering. You had 14 wonderful years of unconditional love from her and that is what you will remember. I know how hard it is, but go ahead and cry and grieve. She was a beloved member of your family. In time, when you think of her, you will smile.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your wonderful furry friend. I have had to do this, and it is very painful.
Your disease is talking to you, that this would be a great time to relapse. You can get through this!Your feelings are all out there, and as addicts we are not used to this. Go to a meeting, if you can't in real life .. go to one online. Stay connected with your sober friends and reach out for help. Perhaps start writing about what you are feeling, but what ever you do don't relapse. You have come so far, and I guess this is the hard part of living life on life's terms.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanx for your replies, it so helps. You know what is sad, I think this hurts more than it would for some humans in my life if they were to pass. Its not right, but it is true. She has been through so much with me. My daughter was only 3 when we got her, and my daughter is turning 18 in November. We do have each other. In between all of this, I am trying to be grateful for all that she has given me. And the fact she has been sick this last month, my daughter and I had to travel across country looking at colleges. She was good for my mom, and took a turn for the worse 1 day after we got home. She waited for us to be with her, thank God! You know, I started drinking at 13-14 yrs old, and never learned these things called coping skills. Crash coarse...............
Old 09-05-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am so sorry.... Hope this gives you a bit comfprt

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old 09-05-2009, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Jackie36, I have had to do that many times. It is hard on you, just as it is supposed to be. You saved your girl the pain and agony she was in despite what it would do to you. You loved her enough to do that for her. She will be waiting for you at the bridge. (rainbow bridge)

She is in a better place, she is free from pain & she lived a life being loved by her humans. She couldn't have asked for a better life.

I am going to be losing one of my dogs (Buddy) soon. He is sixteen years old, a beagle mix. He is blind in one eye & seems to be confused a lot lately. He is the sire (daddy) of four pups I have here. (long story but I adopted the family including the momma)
It's funny how dogs can steal your heart like they do.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Jackie
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Please don't drink over this. I don't think your dog would want you to drink again. You did all you could do. Instead of drinking, pray for her. That will do way more good for both of you.
Fred
Old 09-05-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thats tough......real tough.

i lost jake a few weeks ago now........my best mate.

lost of people here helped just by listening to the pain and sorrow.

he is here in spirit..

it does get easier.......ive been angry....raging......crying...lost.......

today its easier........just dont do the photo album and im ok.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I so feel for your loss... my thoughts are with you.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Thats rough. Im sorry for your loss, but know this: you WILL get a sign to help you through. Years ago I had a cat who loved playing in pine woods near my house, and she'd always be smelling of pine.
A few days after her death I was on the sofa in tears, when suddenly from nowhere I smelt a strong pine scent. I knew it was her leaving a sign
Old 09-06-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Jackie))) My condolences. I almost don't know what to say even though I also had to put my dog down 2 weeks ago at 12 yo after 10 years of companionship due to cancer.

I was given the poem that Carol posted and here's another one that was given to me right after her death. I hope it helps. I thought it was so beautiful and loving.

"A Dog's Prayer"

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

~Beth Norman Harris

If you would like to tell me and everyone else Jackie, I'd love to know, what was your dog's name?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So Sorry

I had to put my baby down 5 years ago he was 14 and my first dog. The pain did get better with time but I still miss him. I am sorry for your loss, it's a painful one. I never thought another dog could ever love me or me love another dog as much as him...
But a few months after I serched the internet and found the dog I thought was perfect for our family. She is a joy and loves us all as we love her, she is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.
I hope you allow your self to find a dog to love again and it will love you.

XXOO
Minute
Old 09-06-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

i hope this helps some. Poems In Praise of Dogs

I have a 13 yr old beagirl and I'm dreading the day when she's not enjoying her life anymore. My condolences to you on the loss of your best friend.

:ghug3
Old 09-06-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by circlesquared View Post
A Dog's Prayer"

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

~Beth Norman Harris[/CENTER]
Thank you so much for posting that circlesquared.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear about you losing your beloved pet and family member.

I had to do the same with m yellow lab who wa my best friend for 12 years. It was certainly the hardest thing I have ever had to do but I know deep in my heart that it was the best thing for him. When their quality of life is so bad that they look at you with sad eyes it is them telling you to let them go and thanking you for the good life you gave them. That is the hard part, because they are the ones that give life to us with consistent unconditional love.

So hang in there and think of how your dog helped you through the last year, (if nothing other than being a sober friend). I know that they are aware of our pain and suffering and seem to be compassionate in those times.

I feel your pain and wish you the best,

p.s. I got another puppy shortly after as per Dr.'s orders.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am....

for all of your responses! I am at work in tears, you are all so great. Her name is Harley. I got her from a shelter when she was 1, so she was 15 years old. Her nickname is "Snoots" I have no idea, but my daughter came up with that some years ago and it stuck. All her life she was healthy and never had problems. Except for you legs. Of coarse with old age, they weren't working like they used to. She had her eyesight, her hearing was normal, everything. One month ago she came down with a cough. We had a roller coaster ride of emotions since. First it was kennel cough, she got worse, had blood in her abdomen, they thought she had cancer, not long to live. Then they came up with she must have gotten into some kind of poisen, easy fix, vitamin K. Hopes back up. Then it was sinus infection, then they thought tumors again. We crashed again. Did a full ultra sound on her, and everything was fine, heart, lungs, no cancer, but he said her kidney levels were high. Again hope, easy fix, 2 days later kidney failure and had to put her down.

I am so thankful all of you have replied to me. Not everyone understands what this is like. People who don't have pets, nor have ever had pets, just shrug their shoulders, no big deal. I will get her back home with me this week, we are having her cremated, and the doc is making a paw print from her for me out of clay. I just want her home with us..............
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jackie36,
Harley will always be with you, in your heart & in your memories. I wish I didn't know what it was like to lose a good friend like that but I do. Its funny how things work but two months after I lost my last dog a puppy was sitting in the dog house when I came home from work one day. She was dumped by someone on the road out front (I live in a rural area). I kind of took it as a sign that I should keep her despite having five other dogs. I have a picture of her the night she arrived I would like to post but I don't have the required posts in yet (15). If you want to see it I will post it later on this thread.