Notices

Alcohol- no more, never. But weed?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Johnny,
First off, congrats on quitting alcohol.

I quit alcohol and pot, but I have nothting against people who smoke and/or drink.

If I were you, I'd take a look at those feelings that cause you to hesitate....the feeling that makes you say "no". Could it be that your conscience is telling you something? Like I said, I don't have anything against smoking pot...but it's wrong FOR ME. Perhaps your conscience is causing you to hesitate because it isn't the best thing for you? With your age and medical history, it doesn't take a doctor to tell you that smoking is not a good idea. With the history of addiction you describe, it probably isn't wise to flirt with another mind altering substance.

I think your feelings to "hold off" on the pot are right and good. I'd trust those feelings, if I were you, and stay off the pot.

It's nice to have a "treat" though.... You deserve a treat. Why does it have to be a certain kind of treat (ie mind altering)? Perhaps you can think of a more healthy induldgence to reward yourself with. Why not save the money you'd spend on weed and buy yourself something nice?

Just some thoughts....
chip
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ok, another new day, and a fresh, clear mind... :-)

>> Being able to pee clean has alot of advantages! LOL
- Funny, on my drive in to work this morning I was thinking about being able to pee clean, and when I opened up this forum, this was the first post I read!

Other random terrific insights, and my thoughts:

>> I don't think cannabis is as harmful as alcohol.
- This is what I really meant to say instead of saying it wasn't harmful at all.

>> You had a TIA man - and you're wanting to smoke?
- Yeah, that should've been end of discussion right there.

>> I think your feelings to "hold off" on the pot are right and good. I'd trust those feelings, if I were you, and stay off the pot.
>> I sometimes think that our gut-emotional reactions cut through our attempts to rationalize behavior.
>> Maybe some survival instinct is kicking in.
- As hendershot wrote, and I cannot express it any better, "you are engaging in an exercise where you are entertaining the possibility that getting high on pot would be ok. Yet on some level you feel, or know, that it is not ok." I know that I was thinking and feeling exactly all of this, but wasn't really realizing it...

>> But you know, to change my life, I had to change my life....
>> ...it was all or nothing for me.
- This follows perfectly from the previous insights, and I fully agree and accept that this is what I should and must do...

>> Now I'm even more confused... :-)
Now I'm not. I know exactly what I'm (not) going to do. And, I thank you all so much for the help, and soberrecovery.com too!

Sincerely,
JohnnyZ

P.S. This doesn't mean that this thread has to end!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm going to go ahead and post here because I have some experience on this. I'm not trying to say anything to anybody specific, just relaying my experience on this interesting topic.

I used to smoke weed and I enjoyed it at various times and would say it never made me a full-blown addict, but I came near what you might call a "hard smoker" if there's such a thing.

Unlike booze, weed scared me in the beginning. I smoked it about 10 times before I ever got high. One day, my brother took me out on some country road and we smoked about 5 bowls for about 20 minutes... then he looked at me and said, "You gettin' a buzz?" I looked up at him and said, "Yeah, I think I'm feelin' something." Then he looked at my eyes and he started laughing and we laughed for about 30 minutes. I've never got that "initial" high back.

I've successfully used weed to control or stay away from booze at various times. But this one time, I got out of a treatment center and went right to my friends' house and got high but said I quit drinking. I immediately felt ashamed at what I had done. I felt like I lost any spiritual thing that I'd gained. This feeling would become familiar to me.

I was sober in A.A. for about 20 months and was in serious pain from a failing marriage and my wife had a friend of hers get me some weed. It was temporary relief. It lead me to having to go find some scumbags that sell the stuff. They are called dealers. Whether you like it or not, poking smot is against the effing law. Period. But one more stubbing of a toe and I drank. So smoking weed easily pushed me over the edge and when the thought of a drink came, disguised as the F#$k-its, I picked up a drink.

In A.A., I'm on a spiritual quest and I have absolutely no need for weed. I've found something way better. Weed is a false and worthless high. The first one seems great, then the second one is a little high, a lot stoned, then the munchies, then sleep, then another bowl. Then less and less high and more stoned. It's a ripoff.

But if you're not doing a spiritual type recovery, maybe it's fantastic. IDK.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for checking back with us JZ....even more important
I'm really pleased you made a wise decision.

You may want to begin a new thread ...should you have
any other concerns or to mark your recovery progress.
It's not mandatory ...but it is often less confusing...

Let's both enjoy another day of victory over alcohol