Notices

am i an alcoholic?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

The good news is it sounds like you are still experiencing the up-side of this disease.

The bad news is there is always a down-side that you are just beginning to see.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Heathen

Drink if you want to.. that's obviously your choice.

Sounds like a living hell. Do you want to change?

Stop drinking and driving, for God's sake.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Should you be concerned? I'll go out on a limb here and say that you'd better be concerned. Look at where you're at on Carol's list and see for yourself. Normal people don't carry a flask of Jack Black with them at all times, nor do they need a drink to jump start every morning. This singular behavior is reserved for alcoholics. You need help, young lady. You're killing yourself.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Liquid, sounds like a problem to me too. I never considered myself an alcoholic and many say I'm not but I definetly had a drinking problem which ironically worsened all the other problems that I was drinking to get away from. I drank daily, lived life in a fog. I was young when I started drinking, drinking was a huge part of my life I really wasn't interested in doing anything that didn't involve drinking; I was young/pretty/popular etc and people thought I was cute and a lot of fun when I drank. Well the years went by and I did a lot of things I was ashamed of but I just drank to forget about those things...then 1 day I woke up and I was 50 yrs old, not young anymore and not quite as cute as I had been, I'd wasted the better part of 30 years being wasted and I can't get any of that back. There is nothing cute or funny at all about a 50 yr old drunk and though you are young now you won't always be, don't waste these beautiful years.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, Judy. That really hit home for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
totfit

You really don't have to ask.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Progression of Alcoholism

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.
wow... i guess im somewhere between basic and chronic... that kinda scary really

but whats this about hallucinations? unfortunately ive never hallucinated from drinking, i have to take acid or shrooms for that
Old 08-18-2009, 09:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
bt1978

Liquid:

Welcome to the site. The fact that you are already willing to talk about this issue and get some suggestions is a big step (I was a member of this site for over a year and am just getting on to about 4 months sobriety). I was also between the basic and chronic stages of alcoholism as well (you do not want to hallucinate, go through DTs associated with alcoholism...I watched my dad deal with that before he got sober and it was terrifying...).

Just keep being honest and coming back. Honestly (and sorry to sound like some sickly sweet bumper sticker), a sucky day in sobriety is way better than any of my last days drinking...

Peace
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

what are dt's? when i go too long without drinking i have anxiety attacks and my hands start to shake.. i always thought that was the dt's.. its annoying but i can handle it.... but when other ppl talk about dt's they make it out to be a lot worse than that... so what exactly is happening to me?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

this page explains the dt's (delerium tremens)

Delirium tremens: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

IMO, the presence of any of the symptoms is cause for pause.
Its important to realise tho - none of us here are doctors and we can't give medical advice, Sara.

If you're worried see yr doctor
D
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, if you walk around with a bottle of JD and get smashed 3 times a week and drive a car under influence, l would say you have a problem.
l would advise you do something about it.

Now don't say you can't swear off drinking; it's easy. I've done it a thousand times.
W. C. Fields
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by liquidfireangel View Post

but whats this about hallucinations? unfortunately ive never hallucinated from drinking, i have to take acid or shrooms for that
Hallucinations don't occur from drinking alcohol, they occur during withdrawl from alcohol. They are one of the symptoms of DT's (Delirium Tremens).

If you don't drink around the clock you may not experience them (YET). Even if you do drink around the clock you will not experience them until you go about 16 hours without a drink. This is just one of the many YETS that you can look forward to if you keep drinking.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Ive been at the stage your describing, where when I stop I get anxious/shaky... but Ive also gotten to the point of hallucinations... Whenever we drink like this we are playing with fire. No one can tell you your an alcoholic... I hope you think about trying to get some help, this thing doesn't usually (ok ever) seem to just get better... at least it didn't for me...
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

i think you know the answer........normal drinkers dont as a rule seek out a recovery site.

something important...

After a few drinks driving and drinking just became something i did without thinking about...
luckily i went to jail before i killed someone.

think of this........you have a few drinks..
jump in the car...ordinary day......same deal.

a kid walks out from behind a car and goes over the bonnet.
that ordinary day has changed into a living nightmare for the parents and you for EVER...you wont be able to go back and change it.

make a commitment today...........booze and drugs means no driving period.

that said..........i am a chronic alcoholic that has found a new way of living that results in me not wanting a drink and living completely content without rounding of the edges.

i follow a simple suggested program of action laid out in the big book of alcoholics anonymous.

keep coming back and let us know your progress if you decide to stop.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

sounds to me like you do have a problem but if you dont want to stop then you probably wont stop until your drinking messes up your life in a big way dont let that happen

drinking and driving can do that for sure!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome LFAngel! Obviously you have to decide that what you are doing isn't worth it. People talk about hitting bottom, when they decide things HAVE to change. But that point is different for everyone. Spend some time with your imagination to explore just what it might take for you to quit -- embarrassing situation? physical changes in your appearance? DUI? killing someone with your car? losing your job? going broke? alienating your friends and family? Wow, great stuff to look forward to! But the good news is you don't have to go there. Good luck ... keep coming back.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Love my puppies

lfa...seems to me that you've already anwered your own questions. Now it's up to you to decide what to do with those answers.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liquidfireangel View Post
i cant go without it... i need a couple of shots, a cigarette, and a joint just to get out of bed... otherwise i'd just sleep all day
If you happen to find a sober moment anytime soon, read it carefully and answer it yourself.