Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

How do you know if you're just a weekend partier or have an alcohol issue?

Notices

How do you know if you're just a weekend partier or have an alcohol issue?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

For me at 30, the drinking patterns were the same. The biggest tell looking back was how i felt during the week without alcohol. I remember sometimes i would go out with a couple of friends and stay at their place, they would be up at 8am laughing off the hangover and i would be under the duvet, on the sofa, feeling depressed and alone. This would last for days.

I would look at it now if i were you, find a good alcohol counselor, not state funded! Go and talk to them and be honest. As for labels like alcoholic, i certainly would not have called myself an alcoholic at 30, no sir! I had to progressively get worse and, in effect, **** away another 8 years of my life before i would happily put my hand up and call myself an alcoholic and ask for help.

It's no joke, so get help now...

'And I know I am drinking to escape certain self-image issues I have' - this comment is a big, big red flag!

So you've got some phone calls to make and $50 to spend:-) Keep coming back here and reading and posting too!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Twenty,

Unless you are starting out the weekend with the plan to drink to the point of blacking out, embarrassing yourself and making apologies, you have an alcohol issue. You drink too much alcohol.

If you start out the weekend with a firm plan to not drink to the point of blacking out and/or embarrassing yourself and it happens anyway, you have an alcohol issue. You can't control how much you drink once you start.

If you start out the weekend with a firm plan not to drink at all and you end up drinking anyways, you have an alcohol issue. You can't control your drinking.

I saw myself in your first post. I lived it and I ignored and/or rationalized the signs. I ended up drinking every morning, unable to leave my house to even go to grocery store unless I had a few drinks. I always said I would never let it get that bad. My sister also lived your post. Two years ago, she died of alcoholism.

I am glad to see that you are looking for answers. If you find that you are unable to stop this all by yourself, please don't let fear or pride or embarrassment keep you from getting help. On the other side of that door marked recovery is a whole different world.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

It's been 19 days since you posted. Progressive alcoholism leads to institutions, jails, or death. I pray you return sober. Blackouts, even on weekends, is just wasting your life and hurting your body (and/or hurting others.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Looking back, I was an alcoholic long before I realized it. I never drank in the morning. Never lost a job. Had some success 'not drinking'. And happily never ran someone over.

One day I realized I was alcoholic. But I was a problem drinker (alcoholic) long before that... just ask my wife.

Welcome to the forums. And hopefully to a sober life.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
It's been 19 days since you posted. Progressive alcoholism leads to institutions, jails, or death. I pray you return sober. Blackouts, even on weekends, is just wasting your life and hurting your body (and/or hurting others.
This thread is two years old...
Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Matt M

I noticed that when you have had a drink problem and then either cut right down or stop completely, that you suddenly realise just how much alot of people around you are drinking.

I've noticed people I know seem to be out drinking every other night and constantly saying how drunk they've been, and I think "hang on a minute, that can't be normal can it?".
But I don't say anything because I don't want to turn into one of those annoying, vile people who have been through addiction and then bleat and preach to everyone about it.

On the other hand, I do think you have to drink alot regularly to really have a drink problem. I'm sure professionals would disagree with me on that tho.
I've heard people claim to be alcoholics when they drink a bottle of wine three nights a week. I don't buy that at all, I'd just call that someone who likes drinking wine now and again.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
~sb

In defense, my eye doctor appointment is in a week.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
... My question is at what point do you go from just being a weekend partier to actually having an alcohol issue?
I got a chance to hear a doctor speak who is not only in recovery himself, but an Addictionologist as well. He answered this question by saying:

"It's easy to tell the difference between a addict and a someone who just got into trouble while using. Addicts don't learn from their mistakes. They keep finding themselves in hospitals, jails or rehab facilities over and over again".