Notices

He threw out the vanilla extract

Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

He threw out the vanilla extract

Well, last night (this morning, really... 6am- hubby is quite the night owl), we were poking around the kitchen looking for some lemon or lime for his tea... and he was like, "well, we have no vanilla extract"... I was like, "yes we do, it's in with the spices."- - to which he replied, nope, he'd thrown that out with the rest of the booze in the house.

Now, the episode he is referring to is not a pretty one. And it happened pre-my sobriety and pre- us talking about it. We'd had a hell of a fight, and he at the time was on a medication that made him unbelievably mean and irrational. So when I got home, there was a real row, he called me a drunk (amongst other things), and said he'd thrown out all the alcohol in the house. So- NOT pretty.

However, we were in the kitchen last night, and of course, I reply that I know we have the vanilla extract, and he says, "no- I threw it out with the rest of the stuff." To which I say- already laughing- "you WHAT?" He laughed and nodded... "I was damn thorough, you know"... all the while we are giggling about what was formerly taboo and no-man's-land conversation. I was like, "no way"... "Way.." and we both burst into peals of laughter. I told him that that particular thought had never crossed my mind, and that we ought to add that to the shopping list.

I am just in awe of my husband and how our relationship has blossomed since I "came out" to him. Of course, he has known for years my drinking was an issue, but in coming to him to admit I knew it and was ready to fix it and get help- it's been night into day. We can now joke about silly things (like pitching the vanilla extract) and openly talk about my problem- both past things and present and future challenges. I can tell him when I'm really missing a drink and it's ok. He is proud of me for my 37 days and it just makes me smile inside and outside. I love that we can talk about something that was SO avoided in the past, which only built resentments on both sides.

I have a headache this morning for no good reason but I am still so happy and at peace and feeling close to my husband. For all his faults, I have a damn good one and I am so sorry for the heartache I've put him through while he watched me self-destruct but knew that nothing he'd say would help until I was ready myself.

By the way, later this morning I pointed out to him he forgot to toss the mouthwash.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What a fun story! You are very fortunate to have such a supportive spouse, good for you!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My girls threw mine out after they read about it on the net after the wife left they think its their job to be mom now.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

That is really wonderful sunrise.
I know exactly how you feel and that feeling has not changed in the over a year I have been sober! I LOVE being a sober wife and mother. I can hold my head high today. I can look them all in the eye. I don't have to lie.
Yup, being sober rocks! Congratulations on your 37 days! You are on your way.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great story, but now you have a vanilla problem. The solution is to use whole vanilla beans when baking. Just scrape out the seeds by slicing the pod lengthwise to expose them. The seeds of one pod will approximate the strength of one tsp of pure vanilla extract. But Wait! There's more! Take the empty pod and bury it in sugar and after a few days you'll have vanilla sugar.

And you thought this forum was only for alcoholism......
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

Thanks, Joe I really don't have a vanilla problem, but that sounds really funny to say out loud. Thanks for the baking advice... these forums are FANTASTIC for all sorts of things.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use imitation vanilla extract (for cooking purposes, to be clear!).. but I did run into the same problem. I was pretty surprised to learn there was alcohol in vanilla.