Notices

Ooo that smell

Old 07-01-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ooo that smell

Ever notice the smell of a drunk? Not really their breathe but maybe a combination of that and sweat. ESP when it's in a closed room.

Went over my older bros house tonight and he was out of it on the recliner. He's over 40 and my mom lives there. Not physically abusive to her but she has barely a relationship with him. Every night he's drinking. Even when it's been a good day for him ( good things happening I mean) and a lot on bad days. He won't admit to a problem nor can getting mom out of there an option. She hates it but there's nothing she can do.

I guess in his eyes he works all day and doesn't drink during then so there's no issue. But when he's done he gets drunk. So nobody in the family can have any healthy relationship. Of course he'll complain about nobody bothering with him. I don't know what to do. I'm guessing this is going on since college.

Is there anything I can do?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoshNU View Post
Ever notice the smell of a drunk? Not really their breathe but maybe a combination of that and sweat. ESP when it's in a closed room.

Went over my older bros house tonight and he was out of it on the recliner. He's over 40 and my mom lives there. Not physically abusive to her but she has barely a relationship with him. Every night he's drinking. Even when it's been a good day for him ( good things happening I mean) and a lot on bad days. He won't admit to a problem nor can getting mom out of there an option. She hates it but there's nothing she can do.

I guess in his eyes he works all day and doesn't drink during then so there's no issue. But when he's done he gets drunk. So nobody in the family can have any healthy relationship. Of course he'll complain about nobody bothering with him. I don't know what to do. I'm guessing this is going on since college.

Is there anything I can do?
Other than confronting him, not really. Now, if he keeps his obligations up and is happy, probably not much you can do. I don't know the situation, so cannot comment further.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You and your Mother could begin to attend your local
Alanon meetings. That is a free support group for
the friends and family of drinkers.

We also have a Form here for you to explore

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

And yes...when I was a drinker I reeked of alcohol.
I often took 3 showers before going to work.
You are correct ....it seeps from pores.

All my best to you and your family
Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jimbo

well it is your bro's house ,and maybe the preasure of having your mom there is driving him to drink its gota put a dampener on his social life and relationships

not trying to be unkind but the guy is doing the right thing here in my humble opinion ,i mean letting your mom live there not the drinking

how about your mom comes to live with you and your bro can see where he is at take stock of his life ,see where he is at and take some action

you dont say if your bro is married or has a girlfriend but if he has not imagine the pressure he is under mom living with him ,what woman is going to want to move in with/start dating a guy that lives with his mom

cripes your bro letting his mom living with him drinking beer in his own house ,he sounds a right nasty sod

by the way a lot of my post is brirish humour i hope it travels well
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's not really by moms choice to live there after dads passing and she needs help, has medical issues. Ya he's married her being ther isn't the issue this has got on 20 years or so. Beer ain't such an issues as the hard stuff which who knows where that is stashed

I'm no saint in any of this having has issues with pills. Being clean is bringig all these issues to light. Yeah I've confronted him jn the past prolly the hardest I was with him was 11 years ago. He promised to stop everything.

He won't admit to a problem so I guess I'm just stuck here. I hate to his fam sad and upset for missing weekends an quality time. Just really feel bad for mom. Avoidig him means missing my fam. I'm trying to be good in my life and this stuff is def a trigger.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jimbo

Originally Posted by JoshNU View Post
It's not really by moms choice to live there after dads passing and she needs help, has medical issues. Ya he's married her being ther isn't the issue this has got on 20 years or so. Beer ain't such an issues as the hard stuff which who knows where that is stashed

I'm no saint in any of this having has issues with pills. Being clean is bringig all these issues to light. Yeah I've confronted him jn the past prolly the hardest I was with him was 11 years ago. He promised to stop everything.

He won't admit to a problem so I guess I'm just stuck here. I hate to his fam sad and upset for missing weekends an quality time. Just really feel bad for mom. Avoidig him means missing my fam. I'm trying to be good in my life and this stuff is def a trigger.
ok if he has a wife and fam its best he quits ,the trouble is if all your friends are drinkers and your home life is crud what have you got to look forward to if you do stop drinking ,sitting at home bored with a load of people that you have severly cheesed off for years ..... good luck in getting him to do that ,i honestly would not of quit if it was not a life or death choice for me ,its only being here on SR that i realise there is more to life than getting drunk every day and what a great life it is ,THANKS YOUZE GUYS
Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If he won't admit that he has a problem, then there's nothing that can be done. Sorry.