Notices

30 days and new job

Old 06-22-2009, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 days and new job

I'm starting a new job and I am just over 30 days sober. My head feels more clear, and I feel less stressed in general. But this job is very strenuous and challenging and I'm worried about how I'm going to perform. I would probably be worried even without the recent sobriety. I could use some words of advice and support.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Congrats on your sobriety and your new job. I kept my same job after getting sober, but my new approach to life through sobriety has transformed how i Relate to my job and to other people through my job. When I think about how I can help and be of service to others through my work, things go really really well. When I am fearful and preoccupied with myself, how I'm doing, my performance, things go less well and are a lot less satisfying. Just my $0.02
Old 06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did begin a new job in early sobriety.
It worked out well for me because it had no bad memories
of how I had messed up the old one thru my drinking.

Try to relax....jobs are only a way to pay bills.
They do not define the person you are.

You will be more productive with a clear head...

Congratulations on the job and your sober time
Old 06-22-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

It is said that worrying is often a lack of faith. It certainly deprives us of any gratitude for being provided what we need when we need it. Alot of people set themeselves up for defeat by imagining something as being too hard before giving it any time to produce positive results in their lives. Doing something new, especially in early recovery, always seems a bit awkward at first. It's kind of like being in a boat on the ocean for the day or so and then trying to walk on land. Think of this as a way of getting your 'sober legs'. The more you do it, the easier it will get. Take what comes and get stronger. Try to keep your thoughts on the blessing of freedom from active alcoholism and keep at it.

Congratulations on staying sober for 30 days and on the new job!!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Congratulations on 30 days sober. When I am scared or worried, I try to remember what my sponsor told me, breathe in faith and breathe out fear. You will do fine, go with the knowledge this is part of HP plan for your sobriety. You will do great
Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

You're going to perform a whole heck of a lot better than you would have without the 30 days! Congrats
Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I sometimes try to do too much and please everybody; then I wear myself out and get resentful at other people.. I agree with Carol that a job is just that.. not who you are. I have had top work real hard at just enjoying where I am for that moment and relax.. I work at McDonald's and there is a high level of stress and noise and you are moving constantly; I have learned the fine line of working hard and trying to do everyone else's work too. Trust me, this has been a long process, so one day at a time. Today I refuse to drink over other people's anger towards me as well.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, congrats on the new job and your sobriety! As to the job, you have 30 days of sobriety, so go in there confident you can do the job! I found that after 30 days, I could do things I could not have done before the 30 days.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging ideas and support.