Notices

Wake up call

Old 06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wake up call

I have been struggling the last few days. I don't know if it's the hot weather, or I'm getting around 90 days sober. I read somewhere (I believe it's somewhere on this websight) that every 30 days the cravings get stronger. That was true for me at around 60 days, and it has been worse for me now at almost 90.
At any rate, I was at a meeting tonight, and we had a new person show up. At the end of the meeting this person wanted to get a form so we could start signing it. This person said they"might" be needing a liver transplant, and needed proof (I know it's anonymous) they were coming to meetings.
This could have just as easily been me, or a number of others at the meeting. It could also easily be a number of people on this forum.
My cravings have come to a grinding halt after leaving the meeting.
That said I will be praying for this person. Hopefully the first diagnosis was wrong (it was for a cousin of mine that rarely drinks), and this person quits,and thier liver returns to normal.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My experience with cravings was not as you described.
They began to subside in intensity and duration
rather quickly.....had stopped by 2 months.

I was follwoing the eating plan + supplements I found
in the book "Under The Influence" for about 6 months.
No prooof this helped but I consider it did.

Prayers going out for this new man and you as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's some validity to the regemin of 90 meetings in 90 days. Psychologists have verified what AA had know for years. After a 90 period of behavior modification, the brain "resets itself" to the new behavior pattern. And if that doens't work, there's always a rude reality check like the one you just experienced. And you're right. Let's hope that things turn out alright.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
My experience with cravings was not as you described.
They began to subside in intensity and duration
rather quickly.....had stopped by 2 months.

I was follwoing the eating plan + supplements I found
in the book "Under The Influence" for about 6 months.
No prooof this helped but I consider it did.

Prayers going out for this new man and you as well.
Hello Carol
I'm pretty sure I read the craving thing on the PAWS websight. I bought the book (under the influence). I havn't found an eating plan to really follow in there. I found info on hypoglycemia etc.
At any rate, after meeting someone that might need a liver, I don't believe I have any problems I can't overcome right now.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmm...
I no longer have a copy of "Under" but the hypoglycemia info
at one time did have an eating plan. That's what I did.
I read it orginally in paperback in '89 ..published by Bantam.

Perhaps the newer printings omitted that.
I
Please do look and let me know

I sure don't want to have anyone looking for what is not there.
Thanks....
Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I didn't experience increased cravings on any 30 day marks either.. if anything it was motivating and made me feel really good about my sobriety. That being said, I didn't really "count" after 30 days.. but I'm always aware of the new month.. and I only feel better and better. I can't honestly remember the last time I wanted to drink, and I love that!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

From what I have observed watching a lot of people go through recovery if they get and stay active with a recovery program the cravings and desires go away fairly quickly.

I really like your post because you have demonstrated the power of cognition in the recovery process. Your cravings disappeared as a result of meeting the man needing a liver transplant. In my own recovery I visit patients in a detox hospital and try to help them. Listing to their stories floods my brain with all the negative things that happen to alcoholics that continue to drink. Those hospital visits are a very important part of my recovery. Cravings/desires get squashed before they can materialize.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I often tell people that we may have the only disease which we have the ability to overcome.

People with cancer, needing new livers, etc., DO NOT have that ability - their fate is not up to them.

Are we fortunate to 'only' have the 'disease' we have, and not something worse?

I think so.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmm...
I no longer have a copy of "Under" but the hypoglycemia info
at one time did have an eating plan. That's what I did.
I read it orginally in paperback in '89 ..published by Bantam.

Perhaps the newer printings omitted that.
I
Please do look and let me know

I sure don't want to have anyone looking for what is not there.
Thanks....
Carol
I have pretty much read the book cover to cover. I could be overlooking something, but I believe as far as it goes is.
Nutritional Discipline (I am just quoting the important stuff)
The alcoholic must receive vitamin and mineral supplements in order to repair the cellular damage caused by years of drinking. Given proteins,vitamins, and minerals in correct amounts and proportions the cells will be able to generate new cells, repair injured cells, and strengthen their defenses against other diseases. Also important is a high protein, low carbohydrate diet, which will control the alcoholics low blood sugar and prevent the symptoms associated with this condition, including depression, irritability, anguish, shakiness, headaches, and mental confusion. (I am a 2 finger typer, so that was a lot of work for me). Maybe I have just been reading it and not really following what it says. I have NOT been following a high protein low carb diet throughout my last 88 days.
It talks a lot about hypoglycemia and low blood sugar causing cravings, but I don't really understand how to control it. Maybe I just need to read the book some more.

The bottom line is. I have been swilling beer for 30 years or more. I just don't expect to quit and not want to drink in a few months and forget about it. I am going to have cravings. The key is not to give in. ( I thought about drinking today, but I didn't once think about giving in). It was easy again.

PS I got my copy of Under the influence on amazon used(1983) for less than a nickel. (But the shipping I believe was 4.50). Thanks for listening
Fred
Old 06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just having a working computer on which to visit my friends in far away places puts me into the top one percent of people in the world who have computers.

I am often reminded of how much worse it could be and am grateful for what I have.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
The bottom line is. I have been swilling beer for 30 years or more. I just don't expect to quit and not want to drink in a few months and forget about it. I am going to have cravings. The key is not to give in. ( I thought about drinking today, but I didn't once think about giving in). It was easy again.
Are you working through the steps? My experience has been that the obsession to drink has been removed since day 1 of my sobriety. I do get the rare thought about drinking (for example, when I see people drinking on an outdoor patio) but they are of the form "I wish I could have a beer but I can't...I'm an alcoholic." Not really craving and definitely not obsession.

I do get where you are coming from with not giving in. One of my early mantras was "Just don't take that first drink." As time has passed, I have come to have more faith that the problem has in fact been removed.

We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

BB quote from the 1st edition of the BB.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello Gravity
I am stuck on step 4. I was on step 4 when I was in AA 20 years ago (4-6 months I don't remember exactly). So no I'm not really working the steps, but I am trying to change. I try to nip resentment in the bud, and also try not to get mad when things don't go my way.
Things have really been going to easy till the last few days, so I really have absolutely nothing to complain about, except it's to hot. Which probably has to do with my cravings. Thursday will be day 90 and I'll make it no problem.
I still feel for the person with the liver problem. I only go to meetings twice a week, so hopefully I'll see this person( I'm trying to sound anonymous) thursday.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fred....thank you so much for all the typing....
I do appreciate your efforts
I can no longer read print... I use a voice program on line..
so re-ordering :Under" is not an option.

I apologize for side tracking the topic.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
where the light is

I strongly suggest you move forward with the steps. For me, after step 7 there was an amazing shift in my outlook on life. More at peace, confident, stronger. My own step 4 experience was very revealing. I typed it out in about 3 evenings (you could be done by Friday! ) and it really helped sort out that "hornet's nest" that was in my head.

My thoughts & prayers go out for the person with the liver problem. There are so many people in the meeting rooms that have suffered much more than I have & I do feel very fortunate.

Best wishes!

Don
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fred....thank you so much for all the typing....
I do appreciate your efforts
I can no longer read print... I use a voice program on line..
so re-ordering :Under" is not an option.

I apologize for side tracking the topic.
No need to apologize Carol.
Last night I googled (hypoglycemia and alcoholism) together and found pages and pages of information. I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees. DR. Bill Wilson was working on it before most of us were born. It says DR. Bill was hypoglycemic There is a lot of info. It sure explains why I couldn't walk past chocolate (although I can now). Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nevertheless,

A lot of people get stuck right where you are. You were stuck there before. How did it work out? It's not a whole lot of fun looking at our own wrongdoing, but most of us found it necessary in order to recover.

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I try to nip resentment in the bud, and also try not to get mad when things don't go my way.
"We saw that these resentments must be mastered, but how? We could not wish them away any more than alcohol."AA Big Book, Ch.5, 1st Ed.

Easier and more productive to just follow the precise directions.