Notices

not an easy few days...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

not an easy few days...

damn it...almost 8 weeks sober and i am starting to entertain the idea of drinking again...i spent the last several hours pouring over pictures that remind me of the 'bad' days... you know the ones...the ones where you took a picture with someone and held your breath so they couldnt smell the Jack or Vodka on your breath...

its funny how in all those pictures i can still 'remember' the bender the night before each of those pictures...its strange but true.

anyhow, i am feeling really isolated the last few days. feeling that sense of 'loss' and 'being left out'. i know its crazy and i know better...i need to read the big book, talk with my sponsor, etc...i know...one day at a time...but i really wish this feeling would go away.

God Pls Help Me!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!

One of the things that really helps me is the realization that every time I drank there was always a price to be paid that was tremendously greater than the brief moment of pleasure that I actually got relief.

Knowing how serious my situation was before I stopped drinking and the progressive nature of the disease I might not come back at all. I heard someone say that when I was in a meeting sober my disease was in the parking lot doing push ups getting stronger for the next opportunity to attack. Since I have gotten sober I have witnessed just how true this really is when I see what happens when people go back out. I recently met a guy that had 12 years of sobriety who decided to try drinking again. He would up in ICU in the local hospital in just one weeks time. He now has three months again.

And on the positive side life without drinking is wonderful compared to the insanity of destroying ourselves and our families with our drinking. Isn't it nice to get up in the morning and not having that anxiety of a nasty hangover. Also remember cravings are a temporary sensation and do pass. One of the best tools that helped me early in my recovery was staying busy. Do something nice for somebody else and you will be paid back wonderfully.

Hang in there, it does get easier!!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello jpl and nice to meet you.youve said it yourself,,you need to ring your sponsor,read the bb etc,,ACTION! that is what you need,,sobriety dosnt come to us we have to work for it,,thats ok with me as active alcoholism was a blinking hard job anyway! is there something useful you could be doing that you have been putting off? a visit you could make maybe? i dont know as i dont know your story.yesterday my bf (hes in fellowship too) went and collected another AAer,he lives alone and dosnt have transport.we brought him to my house and had bbq,then we went for a lovely run out in the countryside and went to an abbey and monastary.its a well visited place and very spiritual.what a marvelous day we had! like i a said i dont know your circumstances,,but faith without works is dead,,ring your sponsor and talk to them about how you are feeling and get out there and do something nice for someone.dont pick up a drink,,its rubbish! uugh,just my two penny worth.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Never forget when using stopped being fun.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JP, surely you will be out of this problem if you consistently keep on walking this way. I always remember one nature of law and I want you to remember as well, If you work on any task in this world, least concerned how difficult it is, it surely gives output one day.
Keep strong belief.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

shrutidev......Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

jplcbr......
I consider my recovery became solid when I started my Steps.

You might want to make a Gratitude List too
Always helps me remember why I stay in recovery..
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Easy does it, we typicaly are doing better than any of our feelings indicate.
Go to a meeting today, call your sponsor today, and read that literature today!
Positive action often leads to positive results which benefit our recovery.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
shrutidev......Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Thanks CarolD for welcoming
Old 06-02-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

God Pls Help Me!
Keep in mind that the day will come in every alcoholics recovery when the only thing left standing between him and a drink is his HP, if you keep working on getting a better relationship with your HP the better you will do in times like this.

Call your sponsor, go to a meeting, grab a newcomer, read literature, they all help, take the steps, take them to heart and apply them drawing ever closer to your HP and the miracle will happen.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink."--AA Big Book, Chapter 2, 1st Ed.

Of course you are entertaining thoughts of drinking again. That's what alcoholics do. The only remedy is to have the problem removed by the actions suggested to you by others here.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i hope you call your sponsor and like you said do some bb study.

Read "more about alcoholism"....the jay walker parable.

Have a chat with your sponsor about the insanity of the next drink...

And ask him how you can be restored to sanity.

god go with you.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you ALL for your awesome support!

i made it thru the last few days without a Drink!! Yippie!!

i feel SOO much better. its people like you that mean so much to me...every day and every night i log on to remember why i stopped drinking. i am so happy to have you all and i thank each of you and God.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Throughout my first year, I noticed that I went through different states of mind that couldn't be more different from each other. From "life is excellent and it will always be so" to "life sucks I don't want to be here and it will always be so" within a few days of each other.

I eventually became comfortable with the fact that sometimes it's going to be like gliding and sometimes it's going to be like dragging a sack of rocks up the side of a mountain.

Either way, as my sponsor tells me, "this too shall pass."

When I get into the mood that I label as "bad", I try to do something for someone else. I notice these moods get fewer and further between the longer I stay sober and work the A.A. program.

Michael
Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi there
I was able to stay sober by going to meetings, however I did not start to feel any recovery until I actually worked the steps. Has your sponsor suggested this? The way I understand the concept that is the primary purpose of sponsorship...to lead the newcomer through the steps that will lead to the spiritual experience/physic change that is the solution.