Notices

Alcoholic Seeking Sobriety

Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Chris!

Wow, you story sounds a lot like mine. I will 32 in about 2 weeks. I have a family history of alcoholism as well. I always tried to be careful because of this and was able to party socially, etc. However when I split up with my ex-fiance, everything fell apart and I started hitting the bottle really hard. It really crept up on me - all of a sudden I realized I had a problem! That was over 2 years ago. Just like you - only a few key people know about it.

I'm like you where my schedule is kinda wacky - I work a full time job and a part time job that I both love and am good at. However I am trying to make my recovery a priority. It's not about being sober for me - it's about recovery. You have to really want it to get there.

I just want to let you know that I really feel where you are coming from. I am on my Day 7 today and I feel really great about it. I really started to fear for my life and that's why I stopped. I'm just taking one step at a time, one day at a time. Feel free to PM me whenever you wish. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wanted to say thanks to all of you. I did research online today and found some AA meetings. I'm sure that I'll drive around the parking lot a few times while I try to talk myself into getting out of my truck. But I guess its a start.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyMia View Post
Hey Chris!

Wow, you story sounds a lot like mine. I will 32 in about 2 weeks. I have a family history of alcoholism as well. I always tried to be careful because of this and was able to party socially, etc. However when I split up with my ex-fiance, everything fell apart and I started hitting the bottle really hard. It really crept up on me - all of a sudden I realized I had a problem! That was over 2 years ago. Just like you - only a few key people know about it.

I'm like you where my schedule is kinda wacky - I work a full time job and a part time job that I both love and am good at. However I am trying to make my recovery a priority. It's not about being sober for me - it's about recovery. You have to really want it to get there.

I just want to let you know that I really feel where you are coming from. I am on my Day 7 today and I feel really great about it. I really started to fear for my life and that's why I stopped. I'm just taking one step at a time, one day at a time. Feel free to PM me whenever you wish. Good luck!
Please tell me.. how did you make that move; what did you do?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Chris, you are telling my story perfectly. Only 3 yrs ago I had almost 14 years of sobriety. I am on day 3 now of a mild detox at home. I was drinking about a 12 pack of beer every evening, eating and going to bed bloated and feeling like hell the next day only to get more beer again and again. I have been just so tired I feel like retirement at 40 yrs old. I am doing well and going to AA meetings and getting re connected to the places which helped for so many years I thought I had outgrown. thanks again for telling my story to me, I needed to hear it. P.S. AA meetings really take the edge off of life for many of us. I need to remember that, lol
Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Glad your here..Oz..
Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

chris,am glad you have checked out your local AA meetings,it is not for everyone but it is the only way for me,it is worth giving it a try.my life has changed beyond recognition since joining the fellowship and getting on the programme,,in a very short time! go with an open mind and look for the similarities,,not the differences! i wish you well,please keep us posted.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jason.......
Good to know you are back on track....Congratulations!

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My last post was in "Posting after drinking..." I'm still not sober and have had trouble coming to the reality of getting sober. To the point that I had a panic attack because I was planning on getting sober. I think I need a sponsor, I'm rarely in the position that I can get to a meeting, but I'm ready to talk to someone that can put me in he right direction.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well.....
n AA sponsor is not the answer at this point.
A sponsor is a mentor for Step work.

First....you need to de tox from alcohol.
That is a medical issue.
It's always uncomfortable and can be dangerous
to attempt on your own.

A de tox usually takes 4 fays.
The SDalvation Army has free ones in some areas.

Please see your doctor...and be honest about your
drinking. Be both safe and sober.