Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Tips for gettin thru the first few days of detox?

Notices

Tips for gettin thru the first few days of detox?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Tips for gettin thru the first few days of detox?

Hi everyone

Love the website.

I am stopping drinking on Sunday. I have done it before, so it is possible. Any tips for not going up the wall? The first few days feel so long, so i understand that distraction techniques help. However I am not looking forward to it. Well in truth dreading it.

Any ideas to make this transition easier for me?

I also feel very ill when I stop drinking for 5 minutes eg. being sick & nausea.

If we could buy 'will power' in a bottle, it would be tops!

Any tips??

Cheers

J
Old 05-01-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1 minute
1 hour
1 day at a time...........Oz.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves....

and not in a bottle...

tips?

see a doc!

and/or lots of water, healthy foods, excersise, and pray like you never prayed before...

good wishes jack

rz
Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jack,
You probably already know this but alcoholic detox is very dangerous and should be done with medical support. There is an excellent sticky by Carol on quitting and what to expect at the top of this section. Give it a read it will help.

The nice part about medical supported detox is that in addition to keeping you physically out of trouble they very likely to give you something to help with anxiety which can be quite intense during detox.

Keeping hydrated and your electrolytes in balance is very important. Dehydration was a major problem for me.

It's Friday, why don't you give your Doc a call and let him know what you are planning on doing. They are surprising understanding and helpful when you are honest with them.

Congrats on your desire to stop!!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes....it's always best to talk honestly with your doctor
before abruptly stopping.
Even tho you have de toxed before...there is no way
to predict how you will react.

At the very least....please go to this link...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Hope you will see your doctor....
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, here goes

New to chatting AND admitting I have a major issue with drinking and drugs that needs to stop. I have nothing horrible happen in my life nor do I want to. I have great wife and two kiddos and need to get this monkey off my back. Visted a really nice reahb in my state which gets about $30K for 30 day in patient. Is that pretty mush the way to go?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

A lot of people find lots of different ways to get and stay sober.. read around here a while, see how differently we've done it. I personally didn't go to a rehab, I quit on my own, at home, with a 2 day prescription of tranxene to decrease the liklihood that I'd have seizures. I attended an outpatient rehab/counseling twice a week for 6 months. That's what I did. Lots of people here follow the AA program, go to rehab, do it on their own.. etc.

I'd just say the more support, the better.. Learning how to LIVE sober is hard, and necessary if you want to STAY sober. The fuller your toolbox, the better. Take from people's experience here, talk to your doc, make a plan.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for words of wisdom. I have been doing a LOT of reading and all of your feedback very helpful. One major challenge I have IS my Doctor. Or myabe its not. He has been prescribng the meds for a long time and I have even discussed getting off of them which he encoruges. Part of me says he is enabler so cannot help me. Other side syas I really like him, has been my Doctor for many many years and knows me. I have never really been honest about my drinking with da pills. An yways I guess my options are check in or go see him and lay it on the line and ask hi9s advice
Old 07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"Tips for gettin thru the first few days of detox?"

Feel the pain, feel the agony, feel the discomfort... feel it deep... get to know it.

Then... don't ever forget how it all felt... and it will be all worthwhile.

Keep coming back.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That sounds like an excellent plan, Newbie
Old 07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jimbo

i have no idea how to give anyone any advice i'm 5 weeks in and today has been my worst day by far ,but if i made it through today then i can do tomorrow

all i can say is just keep going baby steps hour at a time

great post as usual smacked,can you write a book for us your posts seem to say stuff that really makes sense
Old 07-07-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I did an inpatient detox. Was given librium (for jitters/seizures), trazadone (for sleep), vitamins, three squares, and had my blood pressure checked every couple of hours.

If you have insurance I believe most will pay for a medically supervised detox. Thankfully I only had to do it once, so I don't know how many they will pay for.

M
Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
BKP

I was so angry and ashamed with what i did in the past the thought kept me from what i could do in the future. You need to seek support, deal with the willpower and understand that you have the power to end this struggle with resistance. People's help, support will assist you during this hard time.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
BKP

Don't have that drink, today. Day by day.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keep coming back!

Depends how much you drink. Detox in a hospital or rehab is the safest. Myself, I was very familiar with the process. I would remind myself that the depression, shakes, sickness, would pass. The only way through it is through it!