Notices

Any other recovery forums?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mergirl

Any other recovery forums?

My brother in law and dear friend is 4 days sober. I would love to recommend him this site, but on the advice of one of the people I respect here, I think I will remain anonymous. Anyone know of any other sites like this?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Pleae use Google.....there are many many recovery sites.
We don't do direct links to other sites on SR.

Maybe our SR members will PM you some...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uglyeyes View Post
My brother in law and dear friend is 4 days sober. I would love to recommend him this site, but on the advice of one of the people I respect here, I think I will remain anonymous. Anyone know of any other sites like this?
Craigslist has unmoderated (mostly) forums. Some good folks posting there.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
I'm curious too, I have a friend that is drinking himself to death, but I would feel a bit uncomfortable if he was here.
Originally Posted by uglyeyes View Post
I understand anonymity, but personally, I put the possibility of saving someone as more important than my own comfort level. Would these people need to know your screen names? Or would they recognize them?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
I understand anonymity, but personally, I put the possibility of saving someone as more important than my own comfort level. Would these people need to know your screen names? Or would they recognize them?
What about respecting the privacy of the person you're referring? Seems that a problem drinker would be less likely to join a forum like SR if they knew a friend participated. Similar to not going to meetings for fear of seeing someone, no?

I'd love to have an arsenal of other sites to recommend.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Who to share with ...how to share and where to share
is stickly a personal decision.

Anyone interested can find many recovery sites using Google.

Gee....they might even get out of the house and
take personal responsbility to find local resources.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mergirl

He is doing well going to meeting every day. Dgillz, before I found this site I would have put his salvation before my concerns in a heart beat. SR is my only "meeting", and I believe my recovery is progressing in part because of this site. The night I hit bottom, ugly things happened and lots of people he knows and/or is related to were a part of it. I don't think it would be healthy for either of us sharing this site, and for maybe the first time in my adult life, I have to take care of me first.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand your choice UE, PLUS you are trying to find other sites for them. Seems fair to me.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lisa,
I was sober for over a year before I found this place and indeed this place is special. There is a unique blend of people with different recovery beliefs here that are all respected and listened to here. We all have a common interest that shines above everything else and that is helping each other irrespective of our own personal beliefs. I flat out have not found another forum that works like this one for me. I am an AA recovery person and I personally find posts by the Secular folks to be enlightening because it is so different that what I typically hear in meetings; it has a lot of value to me as I have an opportunity to learn something new. I just haven't found this sort of thing elsewhere.

You might want to modify you personal info to make it more difficult for others who know you well to identify you from your posts. Ca is a big state but USA is bigger or "By The Lake" gets really really big! Do you have any blogs you can generic up a little? The admins would probably let you modify your user name if you are doing it for these type of reasons.

I don't know if I helped any but I wanted to try anyhow because I completely understand your concern. Take care!!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

4 other sites from you all and emailed him, thank you. I had actually sent him another link for some online readings days ago. When I asked him if he enjoyed them, he told me he had not logged on the comp in weeks haha. He is not so much into the techno life, so for now his recovery will be out in the real world. Thanks for all of your concern.