Notices

young drinker

Old 03-25-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

young drinker

hey people im 22 years old and have been drinking alot in the past 3 years.
i drink about 3-4 times a week and 3 of those times it would be till im drunk and fall asleep..

i know im a alcoholic but i still enjoy going out with friends to a club and drinking but not till im smashed but you know just a couple here and there....

but im getting scared because i just worry that there has been so much damage to my liver that im scared to get a blood test...

i dont feel physically drained or anything, i still function properly am i being too paranoid??
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My advice is, if you think you have an issue, you probably do. I spent all of my late teens, 20's, and early 30's wondering if I had an issue. I have finally accepted the fact that I do. Just my two cents... Best of luck!
Old 03-25-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I started drinking when I was 18, and was a full-blown alcoholic by 21, got sober at 22. I've been sober a little over a year now and, while I didn't have liver pain or anything when I was drinking, I feel so much healthier now. It's amazing how sick I was without even realizing it.

Do you want to stop drinking?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Started drinking prob. around 15 in high school on the weekends with friends, prob. became a full blown alcoholic around 19-20, and am now 22 and realized I am powerless over alcohol and that my life will become completely unmanageable if I continue on this destruction. I have had liver pains after binges and my AST and ALT (liver enzymes) were extremely high and if I continued would eventually kill me either through WDs, cancer, liver disease, kidney disease, stomach problems, whatever the poison can do to your body.

Like tellus said above, do you want to quit drinking?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR.....

What worried me more than liver damage was
what damage drinking was doing to my brain.

You might want to check out this information

Alcohol Chemistry and You

Take good care of yourself....
Old 03-25-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, eddy387. keep posting and reading! hugs, k
Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome!!!

Took my first drink at 14, my life would have been a lot different had I got sober at 22.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

I started drinking at 17. I quit at 21. I probably would've been dead by now, if I hadn't. I'm 24. If you think you have a problem, and you want to quit, there are solutions.

Be safe.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome !
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi there and welcome. I am celebrating 2 weeks of sobriety (again). I, too, started drinking at 17 or so and through the years and situations that have occurred used it as a "numbing agent". When I was younger, as you, I had the opportunity to ask myself the very thing that you are now..."Do I have a drinking problem"? I did not ask myself that despite the fact that I have 2 immediate family members with 20 plus years of recovery.
Please be honest with yourself and make good use of your young life, it is SOOO worth living! May good decisions be yours!
Old 03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eddy3871987 View Post
hey people im 22 years old and have been drinking alot in the past 3 years.
i drink about 3-4 times a week and 3 of those times it would be till im drunk and fall asleep..

i know im a alcoholic but i still enjoy going out with friends to a club and drinking but not till im smashed but you know just a couple here and there....

but im getting scared because i just worry that there has been so much damage to my liver that im scared to get a blood test...

i dont feel physically drained or anything, i still function properly am i being too paranoid??
well there's good news and bad news

the bad news is you have a drinking problem and if you keep it up you will damage your liver

the good news is is that the liver can heal itself as long as it doesn't get as bad as cirrhosis of the liver. If you keep drinking like this there's a good chance you will get fatty liver.

but the good news is if you stop drinking now your liver will start to heal itself
Old 03-25-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Eddy,

Sounds familar. I spent pretty much the entire decade of my 20's drinking. It got worse and worse. I now find myself a very unhealthy 33 year old with lots of work to do if I wanna one day have a healthy mind and body.

I urge you to nip it in the bud right now.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Eddy.
Like a lot of us in this thread--I started out as a young party going, fool college kid. I starting drinking regularly at 18. By 22 I was a full on alcoholic. Didn't stop until February of this year. I'm 31.
What seems like going out and enjoying the club scene with your mates can quickly end up making sure there is always a beer nearby, and spending your non-clubbing nights making sure you can still get drunk. I can't recall the exact progression, since I was pretty drunk all the time--but it didn't take long.
Someone said it here recently too: you don't fall asleep, or wake up when you're drunk. You pass out and come to. I can tell you from a lot of mornings--this isn't good for your body. At 31, and nearly 2 months of complete sobriety from alcohol--I still am struggling with the damage that occurred to my body and brain.
If you think you have issues with alcohol--you probably do. My advice is to get it under control now lest you want to deal with some very real, scary, and life threatening consequences later.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the progression of my Alcoholism has scared the hell out of me, just turned 22 yesterday. Two dui's later and I am wanting to stay sober finally, 2 and 1/2 months sober currently. Never felt better. Started out just getting drunk often, then I would drink until I couldn't walk, started to drink when I woke up and was hungover, and finally until I would blackout/passout. I am so ashamed of what I have done. Can't change the past, but the future I can. So can you brother!