Notices

"Weekend drinker"

Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Weekend drinker"

Who am I kidding?

I'm technically on vacation and now it's the "weekend".
Old 03-12-2009, 03:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Ready To Change,

That's a great name you have there.
Sounds like you might be where I was at years ago. I used to be a weekends only drinker at one point and those dang weekends always seemed to get longer and longer. The amounts of alcohol consumed went up in time through a very gradual process taking years. I thought I was not an alcoholic because I could stop so easily for periods of time whether they be days of the week, weeks or even months. But the dang thing keep coming back and getting worse. I didn't realize that I had a disease for which there is no cure and I could have arrested the process and stopped the inevitable consequences I saw in others I considered to be alcoholic. For me I simply hooked up with AA, got a Sponsor and worked the steps. Sixteen months later I am still sober and have no desire for alcohol and life is so much better know I can't begin to tell you how wonderful it is.

The last sixteen months I make it a regular practice to go to a detox unit in a hospital to try to help other alcoholics. What I never realized before was that many people acknowledge that they have a problem very early on, take action and they remain alcohol without problems. I see many people picking up 10 year sobriety chips in at a very young age. I see others in the detox unit multiple times in the same year that have not taken any action to get help.

I am sure you know by know by you are the only one that can determine if you are an alcoholic. There are many references to tests to determine if you are an alcoholic posted here. I used the one in the Big Book of AA. There is such a wonderful community of support here to help all of us!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi again....

How about using the vacation time to start your new life?

Talking honestly with your doctor about your drinking
and how to safely de tox would be a wise move.

You could also check in your area for a de tox
facility....the Salvation Army offers a free short de tox

Please don't just sit around drunk and hurting.
That is just soooo miserable ...