Notices

Reunion this summer

Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reunion this summer

It's a class reunion. I haven't seen most of these people, some very good friends, in years. And my life is stable enough, I am financially able to go! I should be so excited, but instead I am more and more nervous. There are references to drinking in every email I get about it. I drank like a... I was going to say fish, but I actually drank like an alcoholic during that time in my life. In fact it was a time when my drinking was starting to spiral out of control, although there were still plenty of "good" drunks. I worry if there will be anyone not drinking there other than me, or at least someone not drinking to get drunk. I think there are people like that in the group, but it's hard to say, since I tried my best to always surround myself with the drinkers

I had a really vivid drinking dream today. I woke up feeling like I'd relapsed. The scary thing was that in the dream it WASN'T scary... it was fun.

I don't want to miss this reunion. But I also don't want to drink. I am trying to think who in this group I can tell I am an alcoholic, or at least a non-drinker now. I don't need to make a big thing of it, but I do need to have SOMEone there who knows...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is Feb. 1 ....no point in fretting so soon.
When I went to a class reunion I too was concerned.

Out of about 80 people...only 2 were drinking excessively.
I saw no point in discussing my alcoholism or recovery
with anyone there. It was pathetic to see how my old
friends had aged......I never attended another!

Drinking dreams? They will lessen in frequency as you
continue to move forward. They are not omens or
glimpses into a darn thing IMO
Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I attended my 20th High School Reunion when I was just 2 years sober, lol

Like you, before the reunion I had lots of 'fears'. How many if any would not be drinking? How many of the crowd I ran with turned out like me and are now sober or dead? etc

Well...........................was I surprised. Some had died, I believe it was 3 or 4 from drinking. There were 4 others there, also in AA, one with 9 years of sobriety, blew me out of the water.

And there were others there that I had known throughout school but hadn't been real close with and even some of them were 'now sober.'

What I learned from that experience was not to "awfulize" ahead of time. I ended up having a GREAT TIME and most of all I STILL REMEMBER IT, rofl

My 30th was also a great reunion. I didn't make my 40th, but hope in 5 years to make my 50th.

So................................................ .go, plan on seeing friends you haven't seen in a LONG time. A simple "No thank you" if offered an alcoholic beverage will suffice 99% of the time. If someone is insistent, just a firm "I do not drink any more." A turn on your heel and walking away solves the problem.

Just have fun!!!!!!! And.....................................you'll remember it, lol

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carol, you're so right. One of the members of my home group brings me right back to reality by asking, "Where are your feet planted today?"
I have a lot of unresolved crap in my head from some of the stuff that went on when I was with this cohort. It's hard to explain without too much identifying information, but it's not a high school reunion, these are people I worked with for a few years in my early twenties. So it's not ancient high school stuff but fairly recent. (I'm 27.) I am working on my fourth step now, and who knows how I'll feel about this in a few months?
Today my feet are in Feb 2nd. And I need to get to sleep.
:ghug3 Thanks Carol and Laurie!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I wish I was sober when I went to my 20th reunion! I had to make amends to alot of those people. What an ass i was, I think, I blackout for 1/2 of it. Imagine that...flying 2 hours $300, perfect dress $60, tanning bed $30, prep time $20, making a complete idiot of yourself- Priceless!